Air Ride, Broke

Not for sure the propoer name for this part (leaf spring?), but its broke. It slides threw the u bolts to the bottom of the rear air bag. How hard would it be to replace and what do you think it will cost?

Is that the bar that's got a Z shape to it? If so, it didn't seem TOO hard to remove or reinsert when I had my rear end apart welding on the axle housing...not sure about cost, though.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Yea man that's it. I'm wondering if it's a mack part or not?

Around here it's called a "Z" spring. If you can identify what suspension you have an aftermarket supplier can get you what you need. Mack certainly can also if the suspension is original to the truck and not changed.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I'm thinking it is original to the truck. It still has the mack air bags, but where would be the best place to look to identify?

This brings up something I've been meaning to ask, if I give my VIN can someone on here get me my build sheet?

It's probably the Hendrickson HAS series suspension...

http://www.hendrickson-intl.com/products/product_detail/has_40lh.asp

If you buy the airbags from Mack, they'll say Mack on 'em. Buy 'em from NAPA or anywhere else, and they'll say something different.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I'm thinking it is original to the truck. It still has the mack air bags, but where would be the best place to look to identify?

This brings up something I've been meaning to ask, if I give my VIN can someone on here get me my build sheet?

I can look some thing up on your truck, but since some recent changes the parts records no longer display as a normal build sheet with arrangement numbers.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

It's probably the Hendrickson HAS series suspension...

http://www.hendrickson-intl.com/products/product_detail/has_40lh.asp

If you buy the airbags from Mack, they'll say Mack on 'em. Buy 'em from NAPA or anywhere else, and they'll say something different.

I appreciate that link. I figured that's what I had, but didn't know if Mack had a lock and key in the ones for their trucks or if I could by this part anywhere.

I can look some thing up on your truck, but since some recent changes the parts records no longer display as a normal build sheet with arrangement numbers.

Thanks rh, At one time I thouhgt you could pretty much pull up the history of the truck. I guess I waited to late. Thought it would be good to have on hand since the truck is getting older and I don't have any real plans of getting rid of it.

Once I start working on this "Z" spring you'll probably see it on here next week in the Gallary with a good price on it!

Looking at the parts diagram from hendrix and the "Z" spring is called a main support member, although I do like Z spring better. I also noticed that depending on which one I have, I see that some of them are for Mack only.

Yup, that's just what I've heard them referred to as. I've never had anything on air so really know little about them.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Looking at the parts diagram from hendrix and the "Z" spring is called a main support member, although I do like Z spring better. I also noticed that depending on which one I have, I see that some of them are for Mack only.

If the suspension is original to the truck, the easiest way to order parts is to take the truck VIN number to the Mack dealer to get the parts. Price is usually competitive. Mack will refer to it as the main support member. Do yourself a favor and get new U-bolts, nuts, washers and conical seats too as the old ones should not be used over, especially if they have been heated. I have learned to keep all these parts on hand to do a quick change on the weekend.

This is not a difficult job with proper tools. The method that works best for me is to jack up both sides to keep the truck level, remove tires from both sides, support the frame and let the axle drop to give clearance to replace the leaf. I use a small floor jack under the axle to line everything up. Also make sure the U-bolts are tight, preferably torqued to spec, and check again after a few days running. Loose bolts are the main reason for spring breakage.

Gregg

Not for sure the proper name for this part (leaf spring?), but its broke. It slides threw the u bolts to the bottom of the rear air bag. How hard would it be to replace and what do you think it will cost?

when you order your parts,,,,,,also order the plastic wear pads for the hanger,,,,,hopefully they are not worn away and

the spring dug into the hanger.

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

If the suspension is original to the truck, the easiest way to order parts is to take the truck VIN number to the Mack dealer to get the parts. Price is usually competitive. Mack will refer to it as the main support member. Do yourself a favor and get new U-bolts, nuts, washers and conical seats too as the old ones should not be used over, especially if they have been heated. I have learned to keep all these parts on hand to do a quick change on the weekend.

This is not a difficult job with proper tools. The method that works best for me is to jack up both sides to keep the truck level, remove tires from both sides, support the frame and let the axle drop to give clearance to replace the leaf. I use a small floor jack under the axle to line everything up. Also make sure the U-bolts are tight, preferably torqued to spec, and check again after a few days running. Loose bolts are the main reason for spring breakage.

Gregg

Pic with that spring out...

l.jpg

Make sure the good axle is up on something that will keep the bad axle elevated, and chain the one you'll be working on to prevent over-extension. A 2-ton engine hoist and a 3.5 ton floor jack was enough to get mine up onto a pair of old steel rims....one side at a time. You probably won't have to go quite that high, so a couple timbers ought to be sufficient. You won't have to remove the brake drum, either (I had removed it because I wasn't sure how much of the brake system I'd have to remove to be able to weld the crack in my axle housing). Once the truck was propped up and secure, I used an old steel rim to hook the engine hoist to in order to raise & lower the side I was working on...could probably also just wrap a chain around the axle though. Used my floor jack on the other side. The engine hoist also came in handy for raising the tires back up to the axle when reassembling everything....MUCH easier than trying to lift them friggin' things myself.

Pic with that spring out...

l.jpg

Make sure the good axle is up on something that will keep the bad axle elevated, and chain the one you'll be working on to prevent over-extension. A 2-ton engine hoist and a 3.5 ton floor jack was enough to get mine up onto a pair of old steel rims....one side at a time. You probably won't have to go quite that high, so a couple timbers ought to be sufficient. You won't have to remove the brake drum, either (I had removed it because I wasn't sure how much of the brake system I'd have to remove to be able to weld the crack in my axle housing). Once the truck was propped up and secure, I used an old steel rim to hook the engine hoist to in order to raise & lower the side I was working on...could probably also just wrap a chain around the axle though. Used my floor jack on the other side. The engine hoist also came in handy for raising the tires back up to the axle when reassembling everything....MUCH easier than trying to lift them friggin' things myself.

Hypothetically speaking of course.

Rob

:lol: Yup...IF I had to do the job, that's what it WOULD have looked like... :thumb:

I think you just talked me out of it... May end up supporting my local mechanic on this one. There's a lot of things I'd like to tackle on the Mack but don't have the time. Weather finally improving around here and I've got some catching up to do. I guess it will all depend on how soon they can get me in.

I think you just talked me out of it... May end up supporting my local mechanic on this one. There's a lot of things I'd like to tackle on the Mack but don't have the time. Weather finally improving around here and I've got some catching up to do. I guess it will all depend on how soon they can get me in.

Seriously, it wasn't all that difficult a job....just referencing an old thread

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?showtopic=15561&st=0&p=62852&fromsearch=1entry62852

:thumb:

Seriously, it wasn't all that difficult a job....just referencing an old thread

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?showtopic=15561&st=0&p=62852&fromsearch=1entry62852

:thumb:

I appreciate it, you've helped me confirm what I need to do. After reading over your older post, I don't think I'll have to disassemble as much just to change the "Z" spring. I'm about to talk myself back into the job, just have to see what tomorrow brings.

For the record, when I talked with the service manager at my local Mack, he called the "Z" spring an "S" spring. Never the less, the main support member had a cost of $191.00 at the dealer and they charged me $150.00 to put it on. So once again, I'm truckn'....

Very possible as it is a different geographic area of the country. When I was in the service a shipmate of mine was from Georgia: A wrecked car to me was a "torn up" car to him; same meaning.

Rob

Very possible as it is a different geographic area of the country. When I was in the service a shipmate of mine was from Georgia: A wrecked car to me was a "torn up" car to him; same meaning.

Rob

Kinda like "Coke" vs. "Pop" vs. "Soda"....

....or "buggy" vs. "cart"....

Different regions have different names for different things.

Submarine,hoagie,grinder? never understood that last one myself,its a new england thing...........down here in the south i noticed people are fond of asking "what model is it?".......in reference to my pick-up," C-10 "i respond,no no what MODEL? "C-10 half-ton" !!what they mean is what YEAR is it? i little confusing to me at first............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.