Engine Quits Running

L Diddy

Good morning all,

I have a problem with my ENT673 quitting on me. A couple of weeks ago. going down the road about 45mph I shifted to 5/H. with in a couple of seconds the engine started shutting down. I got it running again after about 5 minutes. turned toward home and same thing happened again. ended up being towed back to the house. I figured it must have been the fuel system was clogged. Upon taking out the filters, they were pretty bad. I replaced all the filters and re-primed the system. The truck seems to run fine in the driveway. and even at a high idle. Just got towed back to the house again. Thus i am wondering if I still have a problem in the fuel system? or is it something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

L Diddy

Drain and clean out the fuel tank. At idle, engine does not require large amounts of fuel, even at high idle.

Clean out fuel lines. There might be a lot of junk throughout the entire system.

If the fuel level is low, you WILL pick up any junk in the bottom of the tanks.

Cheap and relatively easy first looks. Time consuming, but cheaper than a tow truck.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Drain and clean out the fuel tank. At idle, engine does not require large amounts of fuel, even at high idle.

Clean out fuel lines. There might be a lot of junk throughout the entire system.

If the fuel level is low, you WILL pick up any junk in the bottom of the tanks.

Cheap and relatively easy first looks. Time consuming, but cheaper than a tow truck.

Thanks 'hatcity' I'll do that. Do you think there could be anything going on with the governor?

Thanks 'hatcity' I'll do that. Do you think there could be anything going on with the governor?

Naw, it's fuel supply system related from the symptoms.

Also, ensure the flexible line leading from the fuel tank to the inlet of the transfer pump is good and not swelled shut internally. This is of course if your filters are clean. Old rubber lines can break down internally from exposure to fuel. I suspect you have a lot of trash in your tanks as mentioned earlier. There will be a drain plug in the low portion of the fuel tanks. I would drain them and refill with a couple gallons of fresh fuel. Drive the truck a few blocks and do the same again. This will allow fresh fuel to slosh around the inside of the tanks and pick up any floating debris to be drained again. When the fuel drained is clean, call it done.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Naw, it's fuel supply system related from the symptoms.

Also, ensure the flexible line leading from the fuel tank to the inlet of the transfer pump is good and not swelled shut internally. This is of course if your filters are clean. Old rubber lines can break down internally from exposure to fuel. I suspect you have a lot of trash in your tanks as mentioned earlier. There will be a drain plug in the low portion of the fuel tanks. I would drain them and refill with a couple gallons of fresh fuel. Drive the truck a few blocks and do the same again. This will allow fresh fuel to slosh around the inside of the tanks and pick up any floating debris to be drained again. When the fuel drained is clean, call it done.

Rob

Thanks' Rob.

If those ideas don't work then ya might check electrical switch. Its possible as old as those wires are.

mike

The engine does not require electrical current to remain running once started.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I just got back from lunch here at work and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I knew that. I must be putting way too much time in the garage at night on mine.

Straighten Me Out

mike

It could also be from staying up too late watching Paris Hilton on Tonight Show last night. :pat:

mike

It could also be from staying up too late watching Paris Hilton on Tonight Show last night. :pat:

mike

There would have been some good sleeping watching that interview. Spoiled rich brat thinks she is above everybody else.

Rob

Another thing to check is the vent tubes on the top/back of the tanks. Try this(if you still have issues), removed the gas cap on the drivers side and drive it. If nothing bad happens, then it's the vent tubes, which as only 1/8"? copper and likely got clogged up. In doing so, it runs long enough til it pulls a good vacuum and can't pull fuel anymore.

Had a few guys on here have that issue.

Now, if you had Rob working on it and it stalled, the first thing we'd do is tell you to check the tanks for fuel LOL!! (just had to buddy :P )

BTW, my truck had that issue back when I got it. It was my fuel filter as it hadn't been changed in the last 25-30 yrs? Only after I got it on the highway would it run out of fuel, but lucky for me it would idle down and make it home. Of course that is when I found out the fuel canister was rotted out in the bottom and the sludge was keeping it from leaking. Had to get replacement and all has been fine for last 9 yrs.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"