Whats The Easy Cheap Way To Remove 285 Liners?

diggin dirt

i tried the arc welder set at 75 amps with 6011 rod and made 10 or 12 passes up and down the cyl. i got #1 out after filling cyl.with ice, but it took me half a day! i also seem to remember the screw in freeze plugs dripping a little when the motor was cold, i need to figure out a way to remove those and reseal them. special tool or could i make one? Thank You

i tried the arc welder set at 75 amps with 6011 rod and made 10 or 12 passes up and down the cyl. i got #1 out after filling cyl.with ice, but it took me half a day! i also seem to remember the screw in freeze plugs dripping a little when the motor was cold, i need to figure out a way to remove those and reseal them. special tool or could i make one? Thank You

I used a big draglink socket and rounded the corners to fit the plugs. you might have to heat around the plug to get it to move. Ron

i saw an old timer do it when i was a kid. me and a cousin were to buzzy grabassing as my uncle would say, i do remember looking at the linner when it was out, it had two very wide passes on it, oposing sides. don't know the heat or anything. just remember hearing you boys need to pay attention to whats going on here.

i had carried a bag of ice to him remember as soon as he raised his welding hood i handed him the bag of ice, got ass chewed for not having it opened, about a minute later he pulled the linner by hand and threw it on the ground. lots of cheeres because they had been working on it for a few days, befor asking this guy to help....

the old guys name was lucine finch, long past.....

I've always used a heavy steel plate turned just under sized with a step cut in it to match the inside of the liner.

A hole is drilled in the center and a threaded rod run through it.

A hydrolic cylinder that has a hole thru it is placed on a stand and the thing was jacked up and pulled the liner.

Might be a hassle, but it worked every time and when you got thru, the thing was always there for the next time you needed it.

No goobers from welding dropping on the crank shaft and all 6 were pulled in an hour or so.

DM's were special because #5 cylinder set under the firewall and took lots of extra stuff to keep the thing coming out.

Fast,clean and easy!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Is the engine in the truck,if so you can buy the puck that fits the liners and use a jack from under the truck and jack them out,I always borrowed a liner puller something like Packer is talking about and they came right out,also you can notch out the puck to fit around the oil coolers so you don't have to take them out.

Is the engine in the truck,if so you can buy the puck that fits the liners and use a jack from under the truck and jack them out,I always borrowed a liner puller something like Packer is talking about and they came right out,also you can notch out the puck to fit around the oil coolers so you don't have to take them out.

Any time a piston is remove take the cooler out first. You need to see what happens when a cooler is bent some. I know ever one has their own way but you cant put the rod and piston back in and watch the cooler at the same time.If the rods hits it its can be a scored piston and liner. It dont thake 15 more mins to remove and install them.I made a home made puller but the rear cyl is hard to get out unless you drop the front of the engine some.This is hard the do.

glenn akers