Upgrading The Dash

been working on the interior of the cab the last few months. Lots of Rewireing stuff and cutting out the spliced in wires. This truck had that goofy 121 Antilock braking system that used alot of air switches, signal switches sencors etc... lots of wires that were un plugged and left louse. So now was a good time to zip tie them up in bundels and tuck them away. while I was back in there I decided to change out the wood grain switch panel so it matched the other 2 panels that had the black textured look.I had painted the wood grain panel black but you could see that they did not match...it always bothered me! I installed the dash turn signal indacators, new switches for the marker and head lights. re wired alot of the gauge bulbs. once I got that done I thought it would look cool to have some oil temp gauges. cut the large panel to accept the temp gauges and wired them up. All I need to do now is screw in the sending units and run the signal wire to a fire wall 4 post junction block. I found some gauge covers that fit nicely but need a few more. also need a gauge for the open hole. Think I will use a clock or a air restriction gauge. While having all this fun I made a new air horn chain from Bull dogs Leash (he wont mind) while making the air horn chain I installed a Headliner that a Fellow BMT member let me pull from a old valueliner.

post-17-0-92700900-1295916993_thumb.jpg

post-17-0-22677500-1295917044_thumb.jpg

post-17-0-90148900-1295917327_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I reworked my dash in my R-model a couple of years ago. Mine was an '82 model so it has the beige interior. I had the local paint shop match the paint of the dash and had spray bombs made up with that color. I chose a paint that was flexible and made to be applied to the vinyl dash. I also took the dash panels and found some contact vinyl that had wood grain on it. It wasn't a perfect match but I was happy with it. I also got a used interior kit from Superdog and installed it also, it had alot more panels than my truck came with.

Nice trent! I just got done the superliner dash, will be installing it tonite. I will get some pics. I sanded the dash smooth and painted it mat/flat black. the gauge panels are going tobe powder coated gloss or semi-gloss black, guages are auto-meter. bobo

Trent,thats a nice looing job! i have a Kysor brand LED clock in my bunk,that fits in a standard gauge hole,the display/backlight is green,kinda match the dash and it works well,keeps good time too! fill up that empty hole! LOL!..............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Yup, now he needs some of my "homade" door cards and seat covers!! The door card dogs face forward, and the seat dogs face inward. I made these over a weekend. Also, they are not patches, I had the vinyl embroidered through the material.

Rob

post-78-0-49291900-1297131806_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-48941900-1297131816_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-22294000-1297131826_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-99293600-1297136075_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Lookin' good Rob! very nice! may be a little off topic,but a prefer the older "lowback" seats,i'm sure i am in the minority here,but take it from someone who has spent a LOT of time in a truck seat,i can never seem to get comfortable in a high back seat for some reason. I wish they were still a viable option on newer OTR trucks,dont get me wrong,the OEM (bostrom) seats in my CX are nice, leather,embroidered with the Mack logo,heated,swivel etc. i still like the old lowback seats better,maybe its just me or old age?.............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

These are what I had and they were torn up badly, but the foam was good. I had to stitch the original coverings back together for patterns. The pictures are poor but the seats and cards are plain black. The "dogs" actually started as a 12X12 decal the dealers used to place on their entrance doors. I had it digitized and reversed supplying the upholstery to a lady that does computer embroidery. My sewing is not very good and took a couple hours to learn the little I know and it took me a couple of days to work these out. You can prolly tell I can't sew straight but these were prototypes. If I do it again, I'll go really nice.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I like the old style logo, used to love the white mud flaps with that logo on them...seats look great, low back is the way to go. I thought the black interior parts were getting hard to find? I tried to order a black headliner...no dice so I went with the gray, those seats would look sharp in that Value Liner!

I like the old style logo, used to love the white mud flaps with that logo on them...seats look great, low back is the way to go. I thought the black interior parts were getting hard to find? I tried to order a black headliner...no dice so I went with the gray, those seats would look sharp in that Value Liner!

My 74 RL797L has the low back seats. The driver's is a "Cushion Aire" and a real piece of garbage. The passenger seat is the kind where the seat bun lifts off exposing a stowage compartment that is enclosed which will be nice.

Incidently I finally received a p/s pump for this truck today. Getting the pumps for the V8 engines is getting tough!

Rob

My 74 RL797L has the low back seats. The driver's is a "Cushion Aire" and a real piece of garbage. The passenger seat is the kind where the seat bun lifts off exposing a stowage compartment that is enclosed which will be nice.

Incidently I finally received a p/s pump for this truck today. Getting the pumps for the V8 engines is getting tough!

Rob

Is that the seat that loks like it has an air can on the bottom? My uncle has that seat in an ol KW he has, never sat in it...looked comfy though

Is that the seat that loks like it has an air can on the bottom? My uncle has that seat in an ol KW he has, never sat in it...looked comfy though

Mine is not like that although another variant of the "Cushion-Air" is like you describe. I'll have to see if there is a photo on this computer. Don't remember taking one of the seat however.

Rob

Rob

I was under the impression anything E-9 was getting tough to find, how many engines I've passed up...now I'm kicking myself. I always thought of them as boat anchors, I was raised an inline man, but when they run I gotta say they run, I've taken a licking to the sound of the Mack V8's...

I was under the impression anything E-9 was getting tough to find, how many engines I've passed up...now I'm kicking myself. I always thought of them as boat anchors, I was raised an inline man, but when they run I gotta say they run, I've taken a licking to the sound of the Mack V8's...

Pass seat longer than normal? I've seen a few almost like a half bench seat with the space under the cushion...nice for storage

Mine is not like that although another variant of the "Cushion-Air" is like you describe. I'll have to see if there is a photo on this computer. Don't remember taking one of the seat however.

Rob

Seats look good Rob. my door panels have the "western" imbossed Dogs. I got them out of a valueliner a few years back. Regarding the Hi back seats.... Im also not a fan of them in the R model. you cant get any recline out of the seat. as we know your lucky if you can keep the seat off the rear wall. when you add the hi back it causes you to move the seat forward a few inches or you have to upright it. this superliner Im working on has hi backs and my gut is up against the wheel and seat back touching the rear wall. I remember seeing some R models that had a bar that was behind the seat bolted to the wall. It ran from the top of the cab to just below the rear window. It was used to keep the chair from rubbing on the interior. One of these days I would like to "build" a R cab that has 8" added to the rear wall. Think it would look cool and add to the much needed interior space. on a side note...Im in Flordia this week Been wearing shorts all day. Yesterday it was 20 deg out...Yea!!!!! Stopped at a few chrome shops to get stainless goodies. Found some Shift boot trim rings, and some stainless dash screws. Also picked up this neat little dash light that will help locate the toggles in the dark. Before the storm last week I was able to get in a air restriction gauge and installed the chrome covers. Will get some pics it after I get home.

Rob I will call you on my way home from FL. I heard we got another 3" the day I left. I know that valueliner was burried behind the pile from last weeks blizzard.I know wont be able to get the torches back there to aid in removing that steering box. the way it sits we would have to shovel our way to the truck thru 3' of snow drifts after we get over that pile they pushed in front of the trucks! Stay tuned!....

No hurry Trent. I finally got the steering pump so all should be a go. I'm not looking to drive/use that truck till summer at the earliest.

Sean: My V8 trucks are the old style two valve units. I have a couple 325's, and one 375 engine. Parts are very scarce it seems.

Rob

The 2" gauge covers I used are United Pacific #20550.

The larger tach and speedo covers are United Pacific #20554.

Fyi...If intrested they have a part number for the bezels with visors...

Some of my newer gauges had a wider lip so I had to use a Dremil sanding wheel to remove a little plastic meterial from the inside of the covers. Some fit just perfect? The ones I had to mod do fit tight over them now and a dab of clear silicone (allowed to dry before instaled) around the inside of the cover allows then to grab the gauge nice and tight.

The tach and speedo also fit tight I did nothing to them....

hope that helps

Trent

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ok been wiring up my oil temp gauge and I'm stumped.

The back of my gauge has 3 terminals.

I,G,S

I assume its the following......ignition,ground,signal.?

Anyways I put a keyed 12v wire to the I

A ground wire from behind the dash to the G

And a wire from the sending unit to the S

Why is it that when my trucks coolent temp is at 180deg after a 30 min drive I can't see the needle move to show my oil temp is near my coolant temp reading? Did I wire it incorrect? All the trucks I have driven my oil temp is near my water temp when under normal driving light load.....anyone?

post-17-0-28065800-1356757985_thumb.jpg