Puzzler Of The Day 3

vision386

Yes, that is very true. I've never really been around driving one of these things daily although I've had a lot of wreckers both large and small. In any case there is not a lot of weight on the drive tires with these tandem things when empty. I tend to learn with one mistake and it don't take bashing my skull, (sometimes)!

I was speaking with David yesterday morning and I think I'm gonna put an 8000# Tulsa winch on the front of this tractor. It has at least 125 feet of cable on the drum and works well.

Incidently, the truck I call "Fred", I've had that on since August 1985. Started out as a single axle tractor and I purchased it to move my 14X70 mobile home from the Navy base in Millington, TN to "Momma's" momma's property when I was transferred to Norfolk. I liked the truck enough I've always kept it. Took a job at a manufacturing outfit upon discharge and they had this old S-160 IH truck with the crane bed on it. They gave me the truck, and I used their bridge crane to set this one up. Never did get around to stretching the frame but ole "Fred" has served me faithfully for many years. If he'll crank, he'll start! Anyways, this truck is what started my loyalty to "Tulsa Winch". By choice I'll never have anything else. I had two industrial "Warn" brand hydraulic drive winches on rollbacks, and both exploded the planetary housings off the ends. Both were warranted by Warn, but who needs the downtime? Never did convert them to another winch as both trucks were sold off as I exited the market segment. I also like a "Holmes" split winch but they are not the same as they were.......

Worm drives are always best when power is what you're needing.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I agree, "ol fred" looks like a pretty stout little truck! i always liked the "R" series internationals, i had a cousin (deceased now) who was in the towing business up in new jersey he was a dye in the wool "Holmes man",when i got out of school he offered me a job, which i did'nt accept,thinking back now,kinda' wish i did, i have always been interested in the towing/recovery bus. thought i would have been good at it. I am a person who enjoys a challenge,likes to solve problems,mechanically minded etc. but,my family needed me on the farm,so i ended up on the road. Trucking in general has been good to my family for 3 generations now,though it has its good/bad points just like anything else! of course "freelance" gynocologyst does'nt sound all that bad either!............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I think Rob is learning what those of us that drive trucks for a living have already figuered out the hard way! driving a truck on ice/snow sucks! trucks' like a pig on skates in bad weather! dont take much to get one stuck!.......Mark

Yeah, I don't care for it any more. If it starts to get bad,I look for a place to stop,where I used to keep going-they can call me what they want,I don't care. I've had trucks passing me running 60-65 mph on snow many times.It was snowing when I was going through Chicago headed to Wisconsin last week.Some truck driver was on the cb arguing with someone he thought was going too slow.He kept saying it was 34 degrees and the road was not slick,it was just wet. I stopped to pay the toll and took off spinning thru the first few gears,with 46,000 lbs. on. About a mile further up the road a pickup went off the road,through the ditch,and up against the wall.And that other driver was still headed south saying it wasn't slick.

I stopped north of Indianapolis on the way back and waited until midnight to leave.It was still slick all the way back,but at least there's not as much traffic to deal with at that time.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Yeah, I don't care for it any more. If it starts to get bad,I look for a place to stop,where I used to keep going-they can call me what they want,I don't care. I've had trucks passing me running 60-65 mph on snow many times.It was snowing when I was going through Chicago headed to Wisconsin last week.Some truck driver was on the cb arguing with someone he thought was going too slow.He kept saying it was 34 degrees and the road was not slick,it was just wet. I stopped to pay the toll and took off spinning thru the first few gears,with 46,000 lbs. on. About a mile further up the road a pickup went off the road,through the ditch,and up against the wall.And that other driver was still headed south saying it wasn't slick.

I stopped north of Indianapolis on the way back and waited until midnight to leave.It was still slick all the way back,but at least there's not as much traffic to deal with at that time.

I'm right there with you on that! i got nothing to prove to nobody! gets bad anymore i shut down too,just not worth it. Most of the time i'm "light" so i dont do real well as far as traction goes. plus i dont see as well as i used to especially at night,i do prefer to drive at night when theres less traffic.but thats not always an option with what i do now,then of course if you're not at a truckstop by 2-3 in the afternoon,chances are you aint gonna find a spot to park anyway! even worse in bad weather...Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

http://vintage-trucks-of-mexico.lefora.com/2009/10/26/ramirez-heavy-trucks-1957-to-1991/

Thad,you got it! this is a 1978 Ramirez C.O.E,found it completely by accident,thought it was kind of "interesting" to say the least! you can read the whole article about this and others like it at the website posted. I too was only aware of DINA and Ramirez,but never knew a cabover was produced.........Mark

Now this ain't a bad looking truck...

1964%20Commando%20cab%20copy.jpg?thumb=1

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I don't see a red x. Even in your reply, there's a very nice picture of a truck. :idunno:

Red "X" for me also.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I'm right there with you on that! i got nothing to prove to nobody! gets bad anymore i shut down too,just not worth it. Most of the time i'm "light" so i dont do real well as far as traction goes. plus i dont see as well as i used to especially at night,i do prefer to drive at night when theres less traffic.but thats not always an option with what i do now,then of course if you're not at a truckstop by 2-3 in the afternoon,chances are you aint gonna find a spot to park anyway! even worse in bad weather...Mark

Yep, I only had about 21,000 on coming back last Thursday. I don't like driving at night when it's slick because it's hard for me to "read" the pavement. I can't tell what's wet,dry,frozen,paved,or dirt,but between that or less traffic on the road I opted for the latter.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Well i hate to admit it,but the only person on here thats "right" all the time is me! ( just kiddin'! my last name is Wright)...........Mark

Sorry, you're not the only one that's "right" all the time- you guessed it, Wright is my last name also

:banana: At least our wives can honestly say they married Mr. Wright :pat:

Russ