Sick Horse:

Rob

Damned nasty day here today. Snowed about 4" last evening which was very wet and heavy. The temperature was 30 degrees so it was slick. My daughter had an appointment to have the horse looked at where she works 60 miles distant. By process of elimination I was deemed to do the driving. I get the "Trusty, yet crusty" Dodge, (wrecked as it may be), hitched up to the horse trailer and head for the barn. After loading the mare it's off we go not exceeding 40mph cause man it's slick. This coupled with the knowlege that if I hurt this horse my life would be as useless as whale shit under a sunken battleship in the Marianas Trench, so I drove easy.

We got to the Vet and when he popped her upper lip open said quite plainly, "She's got into some Foxtail weed". Again using the power of deductive reasoning we have determined the weed to be embedded in the hay we purchase as there is no pasture grazing this time of year. The latest batch of bales were purchased a little over a month ago and this horse has been having alergic reactions since that time. Her gums and soft tissues in the mouth are swollen and puffy. She went off her grain and hay about three days ago so there was great concern cause you don't get between her, and dinner.

A couple shots of vitamins and antibiotics and she is starting to pick back up. Real friendly girl so we are partial. Definately my daughters best buddy.

The Dodge done well too.

Painted a new hood for it tonight. Will pull the damage apart tomorrow. So much ice and slush under everywhere I'm going to let it "drip off" overnight. Forced the hood open and the a/c condensor will be replaced although it is not broken at this point but is bent in a "U" shape. The upper radiator support is also pushed back about 1/4" and I'll pull that back out. Going to replace the primary hood latch as a safety precaution although there does not appear to be problems with it.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!

...yea, going to the sale barn...

Ever since my g/f's uncle started dating his current woman, she's been trying to sell me horses soon as she found out I farmed. I'm running out of polite excuses.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

...yea, going to the sale barn...

Ever since my g/f's uncle started dating his current woman, she's been trying to sell me horses soon as she found out I farmed. I'm running out of polite excuses.

They are as expensive as chasing skirt or keeping a bear fed as a hobby.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Excellent work there Dr. Rob, a fine father, driver, and veterinarial investigator to boot! randyp :clap: When the going gets tough, the tough get going!

I agree,having a horse is a lifelong,expensive proposition! the care/upkeep has put more than a few folks in "the poorhouse"! but ya' gotta' do what ya' gotta' do! glad all went well with the trip,had just about enough of driving in the winter weather this year! seems everywhere i've been this winter there has been a blizzard! i'm thinking about selling my truck,going to work for Hatcity,how hard can it be pickin' up a couple stumps here and there? all i'll need is for him to buy me a new Titan,full benefits,$1800/2000 (cash) a week,i'd be willing to put in at LEAST 2 hours a day,1-2 days a week,maybe a little more if room/board (beer) is included,sounds like a deal to me!...................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I agree,having a horse is a lifelong,expensive proposition! the care/upkeep has put more than a few folks in "the poorhouse"! but ya' gotta' do what ya' gotta' do! glad all went well with the trip,had just about enough of driving in the winter weather this year! seems everywhere i've been this winter there has been a blizzard! i'm thinking about selling my truck,going to work for Hatcity,how hard can it be pickin' up a couple stumps here and there? all i'll need is for him to buy me a new Titan,full benefits,$1800/2000 (cash) a week,i'd be willing to put in at LEAST 2 hours a day,1-2 days a week,maybe a little more if room/board (beer) is included,sounds like a deal to me!...................Mark

Don't quit yer day job pal.

Hell, bring your truck down here. I'll set you up with the guy that transformed my truck.

Do the same to yours. You get to stay home every nite, Eat at home every nite. Sleep with your wife EVERY nite.

You getting the message?

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Don't quit yer day job pal.

Hell, bring your truck down here. I'll set you up with the guy that transformed my truck.

Do the same to yours. You get to stay home every nite, Eat at home every nite. Sleep with your wife EVERY nite.

You getting the message?

heh heh, I must have read that wrong hatcity, you saying all your employees get to sleep with your wife every night? Hey buddy, sign me on, Florida and warm weather, here I come. randyp :thumb:

You better believe it, espically if you get ones big enough to pull a plow.

Believe me, i know: http://www.saskpercherons.com

There is a party around here that has draft horses and some are Percherons. Very even tempered animals till you hitch them to an implement. All business then.

Rob

heh heh, I must have read that wrong hatcity, you saying all your employees get to sleep with your wife every night? Hey buddy, sign me on, Florida and warm weather, here I come. randyp :thumb:

YUP, EVERY SINGLE ONE.

The president of the company

The bookeeper

The driver

The Grease monkey/half assed mechanic

Lets see, what other hats do I wear

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

There is a party around here that has draft horses and some are Percherons. Very even tempered animals till you hitch them to an implement. All business then.

Rob

Rob, as a young strapping lad, I did my time plowing, and can honestly say, a tractor was the bestest, most wonderfullest, invention ever invented. Plowing behind a horse or mule is some of the hardest work in this here world! I do not miss it, specially when you plow till lunch, then your loving father hitches you up a nice, rested up fresh one after lunch. Once again, I do mot miss it one bit! randyp :wacko:

Wish it was just that easy,but i have already ordered YOUR new truck,found a cheap place to stay,even managed to locate an economy car to run around in while i'm in florida!......Mark

Mark,

Never thought you would sink to such depths of inhospitable accomodations.

I'm assuming you would tint the windows dark in the car as to not suffer the eternal embarrassment of the ensuing onslaught of negative publicity from being seen in such a rickety contraption.

Rob

Quite right! should have put a little more thought into it,after all i will be in FLORIDA,perhaps i should have chosen a vehicle to allow me to travel "incognito" ,blend in with the locals,while retaining the musclecar "spirit".................Mark

post-5836-0-38389700-1294888129_thumb.jp

Quite right! should have put a little more thought into it,after all i will be in FLORIDA,perhaps i should have chosen a vehicle to allow me to travel "incognito" ,blend in with the locals,while retaining the musclecar "spirit".................Mark

That is more in the conservative spirit. All you would need is a chrome welded chain link steering wheel to be set. I assume you have already outfitted the trunk for about a 5000 watt stereo system, and underbody lighting?

I never realized it was now "cool" to drive around with the 1/4 windows exposed when the top is dropped?

I am so out of touch. My 69 442 looked nothing like that ride, (which is a 68).

Rob

That appears to be the current state of "cool" so,i guess that makes me out of touch as well! i always liked the 69 front end treatment better than the 68,my dad had a 69 very similar to this one,cept' his had a black vinyl top,425,four-speed....which was replaced with a 70 buick estate wagon when my younger brother arrived.....this is what that car SHOULD look like!...................Mark

post-5836-0-79521200-1294891576_thumb.jp

That appears to be the current state of "cool" so,i guess that makes me out of touch as well! i always liked the 69 front end treatment better than the 68,my dad had a 69 very similar to this one,cept' his had a black vinyl top,425,four-speed....which was replaced with a 70 buick estate wagon when my younger brother arrived.....this is what that car SHOULD look like!...................Mark

Mine was red with black interior, 400 Olds, M21 Muncie, with corporate 12 bolt, (3.73 gear). It was a strong runner.

Another one I should have kept.

Rob

Mine was red with black interior, 400 Olds, M21 Muncie, with corporate 12 bolt, (3.73 gear). It was a strong runner.

Another one I should have kept.

Rob

Before i moved here from NJ,i found a 69 442,triple black (factory) 4 spd.muncie,P/S etc.that sat behind a building,tried for YEARS to buy it,"No,no he's gonna' fix it up somday" after the owners died/moved away,i inqiured one last time,and yes it WAS for sale (25K) but by then it had been picked over ,and was too far gone to bring back.......Mark

Before i moved here from NJ,i found a 69 442,triple black (factory) 4 spd.muncie,P/S etc.that sat behind a building,tried for YEARS to buy it,"No,no he's gonna' fix it up somday" after the owners died/moved away,i inqiured one last time,and yes it WAS for sale (25K) but by then it had been picked over ,and was too far gone to bring back.......Mark

Before that 442 I had a 69 GTO "Judge" w/Ram Air IV engine and M-21 Muncie transmission. I bought it with a spun rod but still running. I had the block line bored and honed, replaced the crank and all rods with an exchange aftermarket set by "Speed Pro" along with .030 pistons, moly rings, three angle valve job with double springs. My wife restitched an interior seat "bun" and paneled the seat back rest to make it perfect. We drove it about three months and I traded it for some cash and a 69 Dodge "Super Bee" with a 440 and four speed which was more conducive to a growing family, (yeah, right) as it had a bench seat. I actually liked that car with the exception of the brakes which were basically inadequate for the task placed upon them. This car I just repainted the original bright yellow with a new bumble bee stripe across the 1/4's and trunk, then sold it. I then purchased a 701/2 Z-28 Camaro with a 350 horse 350 and four speed. This damned car was so uncomfortable it was repainted with the stripes, and sold quickly. It was a good driving SOB however!! Pretty damned fast too but cantankerous to keep adjusted correctly.

I still have my 68 Barracuda, (340, four speed) which I've owned since April 26, 1976. I believe our son was conceived in this car when drive in theaters were popular. Amazingly, two years to the day after acquiring this car, our son was born. It is part of the family and like a couple of my trucks, are safe from sale.

Rob

Ah yes,,,drive-in movies,,what a wonderful memory! heh heh,,yeah randyp :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::lol:

I feel sorry for the younger generation thats never expeienced the drive-in!......there is still one open near here,across the border in NC,we have yet to go. The car i wish i'd kept was a 1967 Pontiac le mans,326,3 speed,with a GTO front clip, bought from a wrecking yard before it was a "classic" i repainted it in late model GM "firethorn" metallic,ran american racing wheels on BF goodrich white letter radials,which was the "in" thing at the time, along with bright yellow traction bars,and the requisite Sun super tach. This car was a real screamer! 4:11 12 bolt posi rear from Pontiac station wagon,the car ran great,but at the time i had my heart set on a pick-up,so i traded the Le mans for a 70 chevy pick-up,which i still have today,ironically the last re-paint i did on my truck was 1969 GM "Le mans" blue,using dupont centari,its really held up great,other than the rockers/cab corners starting to show some rust,which was common to these trucks.It was originally "baby shit" green & white,327,3 speed on column,though i have retained the original drivetrain,it currently has a "warmed-up" crate 350, edelbrock intake,etc.and an M-22 "rock crusher" trans. This is a family member as well,my wife is fond of saying she will have me buried in my pick-up! pick-ups are a hot commodity here in the south,and i have turned down a LOT of money for the truck,just can't bear to part with it! everytime i drive it i'm 17 again!LOL!......Mark

That looks lot like the one a fellow known as "Sweet Pea" had when I was growing up in Cumberland county. It had a 455 Olds engine, and I think it was a 4 speed, but i'm not sure.It was a terror on the streets, even being basically stock, and guys would come from all over to race him,and they usually lost. I remember when he blew the engine in it one time, and he had a guy named Max rebuild it at Cumberland Auto Service. As soon as he finished the engine they took it down rt. 60 from Cumberland headed east just as wide open as it would run for miles.60 is arrow straight,just a little hilly,almost to the Powhatan co. line and they just matted it the whole way,then turned around and came back the same way,wfo!

That's not the recommended practice, but he never blew the engine again.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

That looks lot like the one a fellow known as "Sweet Pea" had when I was growing up in Cumberland county. It had a 455 Olds engine, and I think it was a 4 speed, but i'm not sure.It was a terror on the streets, even being basically stock, and guys would come from all over to race him,and they usually lost. I remember when he blew the engine in it one time, and he had a guy named Max rebuild it at Cumberland Auto Service. As soon as he finished the engine they took it down rt. 60 from Cumberland headed east just as wide open as it would run for miles.60 is arrow straight,just a little hilly,almost to the Powhatan co. line and they just matted it the whole way,then turned around and came back the same way,wfo!

That's not the recommended practice, but he never blew the engine again.

When I think of the drive-in movie memories, thas all I remember is things getting "blown". wee-hee-hee-hee,,,randyp :wub::wub::wub::wub::unsure::wacko::blink:

• Like 1

When I think of the drive-in movie memories, thas all I remember is things getting "blown". wee-hee-hee-hee,,,randyp :wub::wub::wub::wub::unsure::wacko::blink:

What the hell else would you go to the drive in for?????? Watch a movie??? Whodathunk.

Rob

• Like 1

What the hell else would you go to the drive in for?????? Watch a movie??? Whodathunk.

Rob

Youse guys is some dirty minded muh fuggahs!

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"