B Model Starters And Oil Filters

fuzzy buzzard

Other day I drug in a '64 B61. No idea if engine is original (END 673) - it has mechanical governor on pump, a bypass oil filter and left hand mount starter.

Question - a '64 should have had a full flow/bypass filter - or would that have been an option?

Question - can somebody explain the whys of left hand mount starter on a B when the steer box is in the way and there ain't nothing on the right side in the way?

Question - is there a way to determine year of engine by the numbers after END 673?

Superdog, the floor is all yours!!

Thanks,

Tom

Other day I drug in a '64 B61. No idea if engine is original (END 673) - it has mechanical governor on pump, a bypass oil filter and left hand mount starter.

Question - a '64 should have had a full flow/bypass filter - or would that have been an option?

Question - can somebody explain the whys of left hand mount starter on a B when the steer box is in the way and there ain't nothing on the right side in the way?

Question - is there a way to determine year of engine by the numbers after END 673?

Superdog, the floor is all yours!!

Thanks,

Tom

The oil filter was on left side and in 1964 there was ony one filt and it was the full flow/ by/pass combinaion and it will have 2 big oil lines and 1 small oin line and the starter would be on the lower right from factory so it will have a later engine in it which is good may be a ENDT675

glenn akers

I'd definately say it's a replacement engine,but I've never went looking for a date code on the block,so I can't tell you for sure where to look.I'd think there would be one somewhere,they have the build date cast into the rear end carriers,sure ought to have it cast into the engine block,too.That number stamped after END673 is the serial #,maybe a dealer could look it up.

Ok...I know nothing, but........

Didn't the bellhousing place the starter location? So if it had a later model bell/tranny then it would be left hand?

Seems that's the story I hear when guys put in 237's or such that starter is on Drivers side? So if you use the bell from 673, it would keep it on pass. side?

Just think'n?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"