Mack 18Spd

conway carriage

You can pull the whole transmission and stand it vertically, pull the range case off and replace the parts, if you don't mind pulling the transmission.

This is the easiest way. Take an 22.5 Dayton rim and stand the trans on it's nose. It works perfectly. Done it many times with 2090 Mack 9 speed transmissions.

This is the easiest way. Take an 22.5 Dayton rim and stand the trans on it's nose. It works perfectly. Done it many times with 2090 Mack 9 speed transmissions.

A junk SAE #2 flywheel housing also work quite well, if you're fortunate enough to have one laying around.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

A junk SAE #2 flywheel housing also work quite well, if you're fortunate enough to have one laying around.

Did Mack get away from using an SAE #1 housing predominantly?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

if you have a torch and some spare 3/8 metal you can make the countershaft suport plates. cut the first plate with a hole big enough for the rear of the countershaft to clear and cut a hole in the second plate to screw a bolt to the countershaft to hold them in place. or you can find some spare plates off of a old trans and drill a hole in them so you can screw a bolt into the countershaft to hold them. thats the way we did it where i used to work. its a lot cheaper than buying the special tools and works just as good... joe

Ok 22.5 dayton I have. Never opened one up, just swapped them out. Am I just removing the tail shaft piece or ??? Might be time to do clutch anyway, she ok but has the miles.

Adam

The real price of a clutch is the labor...not to mention the hook to get it to a shop...plus the down time, which probably won't happen when it is convenient to you. If the truck is going to be down anyway, and you are already doing the labor as part of another job, I'd just go ahead and do the clutch too...especially if he miles on this one are up there that you think it'll be needing to be done soon anyway.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!