Slow Starting

After reading most of the posts on 24v to 12v conversion, alternators, batteries, etc...

My truck has been converted to 12 volt (two batteries) negative ground.

Even with fully charged batteries, the truck cranks about half a trun, then stops, continue to hold the key, and it will turn over and start, but very slow cranking, I am wondering if they left the 24 volt starter in? How would the 24 volt starter act with only 12 volts?

I will get under her tomorrow and find out the voltage if I am able...

Thanks

Check cables. Make sure you don't have any loose connections or bad ones. If the cables looks beat up, then likely need replaced.

After I tore mine down to do the 12v conversion, I realized that likely the most likely suspect to the bad starting(with 24v set up) was the bad cable ends.

Yes, if they did leave the 24v starter in, it likely won't turn over very well with only 12v. Can't believe they would do that though?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Make sure your cables are OO in size or larger. 12V needs a larger cable than a 24 V system. Then a volt lost test needs down on all connections and cables.As well as a 12 V starter.

Are your batteries good?, do a load test on them to check for Crank draw and a low or bad cell. Also check the ground conections on the chassis and the engine, make sure they have clean and a solid connection. The correct cable gage is very important.\ as mentioned before. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE