Do You Know Where You Are 2?

vision386

I know i've posted this rant before,just still makes me mad that people don't know where they are!.....call this "masshole" for directions to his place of business, says he'll put his son on (he's not good with directions) this is downtown quincy,Mass. old,little streets,low bridges,lenght/weight restrictions etc. so after i hand write a page and a half down, no,no thats no good,i'll put mom on, she'll get you here! mom thinks 3 maybe 4 lights (not sure)does'nt know the names of ANY of the streets, may or may not be a low bridge (our car fits under it) but she has SEEN trucks here before!.....long story short,i find the place,have to back down a one way street,go a few blocks down,go around a "rotary" (traffic circle).come back up the street,blindside into an alley around a dumpster,a piece of construction equipment,a crane,a chainlink fence,between 2 buildings,and around a fire hydrant.......get all this accomplished,city cop walks by, says "thats funny,never had a truck this size in here before"!...........so,thats pretty much how my week went! get to start all over again monday with 21 stops!.......Mark

post-5836-014521400 1286074680_thumb.jpg

post-5836-087840900 1286074707_thumb.jpg

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Not to mention the gaping hole in the concrete that was threatening to swallow up your Vision if you got too close!

Oh yeah! there was a hell of a hole there! thought i was going to tear the landing gear off the trailer at one point!........Mark

Dang it Mark......Brother I feel your PAIN. I used to have to do that with a straight truck many nights. I know it's much worse with a trailer.

Good job.....looks like ya made it happen again.

mike

I tell ya mike,anymore (with me) its a matter of pride! i will put that trailer in,if its the last thing i do! LOL!..........Mark

headed for aquasco,md. a place called chaulk point, when i tried streets and trips it showed it about 500 yards off shore in chessipeak bay

I just looked up my first stop on google maps, the address comes up to a vacant lot under an overpass! go figure!..........Mark

I know i've posted this rant before,just still makes me mad that people don't know where they are!.....call this "masshole" for directions to his place of business, says he'll put his son on (he's not good with directions) this is downtown quincy,Mass. old,little streets,low bridges,lenght/weight restrictions etc. so after i hand write a page and a half down, no,no thats no good,i'll put mom on, she'll get you here! mom thinks 3 maybe 4 lights (not sure)does'nt know the names of ANY of the streets, may or may not be a low bridge (our car fits under it) but she has SEEN trucks here before!.....long story short,i find the place,have to back down a one way street,go a few blocks down,go around a "rotary" (traffic circle).come back up the street,blindside into an alley around a dumpster,a piece of construction equipment,a crane,a chainlink fence,between 2 buildings,and around a fire hydrant.......get all this accomplished,city cop walks by, says "thats funny,never had a truck this size in here before"!...........so,thats pretty much how my week went! get to start all over again monday with 21 stops!.......Mark

I can feel your pain there. All during the '80s we hauled structural steel from Montague-Betts in Lynchburg to Boston and the surrounding area. Not a truck friendly place to be then, I would dread the thought of having to go there now.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Good Job. When you feel frustrated, take your drivers license out of your wallet, and look at it. You must bee a truck driver, it says so right on your license. A real operator can do ANYTHING better than anyone else. It is in your blood, admit it, and go on to something difficult, or perhaps impossible for ordinary folks.

Back when I ran all over, I got lost up in Jersey City...wrong turn. I spotted a fire station and figured they drive large, heavy trucks around town all of the time and HAVE to know where places are (and what routes to take to get there) in order to respond quickly to a call....so I stopped and asked them how to get where I was going. That paid off...they knew right where I needed to go, and the route they told me to take was pretty truck-friendly. :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Mark I feel for you. My worst experience ever----Years ago I was attempting to make delivery in Braintree Mass but couldn't find the customer so I called them for directions. After having an experience like yours and talking to the owner, his son, then 2 different local delivery drivers they all agreed they didn't know how to get me there from where I was.

I flagged down a city cop and showed him the address on my bills and he started laffing and pointed to the building I was standing beside. The dumba$$ customer was in the building I was parked in front of to use the payphone. The building had the wrong name on their sign and there was no number displayed but I was supposed to know anyway I guess. Nowadays I use my GPS but sometimes it puts a load of flammables into residence or low weight surroundings.

Mark I feel for you. My worst experience ever----Years ago I was attempting to make delivery in Braintree Mass but couldn't find the customer so I called them for directions. After having an experience like yours and talking to the owner, his son, then 2 different local delivery drivers they all agreed they didn't know how to get me there from where I was.

I flagged down a city cop and showed him the address on my bills and he started laffing and pointed to the building I was standing beside. The dumba$$ customer was in the building I was parked in front of to use the payphone. The building had the wrong name on their sign and there was no number displayed but I was supposed to know anyway I guess. Nowadays I use my GPS but sometimes it puts a load of flammables into residence or low weight surroundings.

ROTFLMFAO!!! They was prolly tryin' hard to keep from bustin' up laughing on the phone with ya...handing the phone off to the next guy tellin' 'em "You ain't gonna believe this $#!t"....

...they's still prolly laughin' about the driver who was right outside their building calling 'em for directions. :tease:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Good Job. When you feel frustrated, take your drivers license out of your wallet, and look at it. You must bee a truck driver, it says so right on your license. A real operator can do ANYTHING better than anyone else. It is in your blood, admit it, and go on to something difficult, or perhaps impossible for ordinary folks.

I have to admit i rarely get frustrated,with getting in or out of a place,i just get mad when the people who go there EVERYDAY can't seem to tell you how to get there,i dont use a GPS (technologically retarded).....and i still take a great deal of pride gettin' in a tight spot!...learned from a true master (my dad) i've seen some damn good drivers/backers in my day,but all kidding aside,my dad was the backinest'up S.O.B i ever saw! i'm good,but dont hold a candle to him! my grandad was the same way,just no effort to it at all!...........Mark

I delivered a shipment to a condo complex in maryland a few years back,could'nt find it,asked a cop, a mailman, even the local firehouse (nobody ever heard of the place!) i finally got there,told the guy you better hope you never need a cop,or the place catches fire! cause NOBODY knows where this place is!...BTW,better check on your mail service at some point too!..............Mark

I can feel your pain there. All during the '80s we hauled structural steel from Montague-Betts in Lynchburg to Boston and the surrounding area. Not a truck friendly place to be then, I would dread the thought of having to go there now.

It aint any better now then it ever was,just less places to park,harder to get around, i was 3 days up there last week without a shower!not even a motel with truck parking (not under a $100.00 anyway) theres just no place to go! the old Mass 10 truckstop closed down years ago (which was a shithouse anyway).....i hate going up there,just the price of doing business i guess!............Mark

It aint any better now then it ever was,just less places to park,harder to get around, i was 3 days up there last week without a shower!not even a motel with truck parking (not under a $100.00 anyway) theres just no place to go! the old Mass 10 truckstop closed down years ago (which was a shithouse anyway).....i hate going up there,just the price of doing business i guess!............Mark

I remember that truckstop, and their bumper stickers-"where in the hell is the Mass 10?". There was another one where you got on the Mass Pike where you could "spin the wheel" if you got fuel,and I missed getting the big prize-full price of your fuel back-by one peg one time.

I remember that truckstop, and their bumper stickers-"where in the hell is the Mass 10?". There was another one where you got on the Mass Pike where you could "spin the wheel" if you got fuel,and I missed getting the big prize-full price of your fuel back-by one peg one time.

Mass 10 used to be called "the dump" with good reason!..there used to be a pretty good place at the RI/CT state line on 95, think it was called the republic grille (or something like that) real good burgers,milkshakes and strawberry-rhubarb pie! thats gone now too,theres a pilot (sort-of) there now,i holed up in there wed.night before i went into the boston area $20.00 bucks a night to park (without fuel at $3.44 gal.) no idiling,no generators,no reefers!........Mark

Mass 10 used to be called "the dump" with good reason!..there used to be a pretty good place at the RI/CT state line on 95, think it was called the republic grille (or something like that) real good burgers,milkshakes and strawberry-rhubarb pie! thats gone now too,theres a pilot (sort-of) there now,i holed up in there wed.night before i went into the boston area $20.00 bucks a night to park (without fuel at $3.44 gal.) no idiling,no generators,no reefers!........Mark

Yeah, that was the first part of the country that I traveled that had the no-idle law.

Im glad I dont have to go into big citys often with the race hauler. but when I do Its not fun. I took the back roads thry upstate NY a few months ago and In the small towns needed all lanes at the intersections to make turns. Buildings on all 4 corners just 4' back from the street. My Trailer is 53' with the axels solid mouted at the rear I cant hop large curbs with the side farings near the wheels. then the gen box sticks out and have to watch both mirrors on a hard turn to make sure the box dont take out a pole. when we do the downtown events many times I go in at night just to avoid trying to get in the central part of the city with heavy traffic. the small towns are just as bad. Knock on wood I have never gotten stuck under a bridge or on a dead end street (yet) and I know what you mean with directions. How hard is it to figure out where you are from any major freeway or major intersection?????

post-17-089183300 1286169299_thumb.jpg

Im glad I dont have to go into big citys often with the race hauler. but when I do Its not fun. I took the back roads thry upstate NY a few months ago and In the small towns needed all lanes at the intersections to make turns. Buildings on all 4 corners just 4' back from the street. My Trailer is 53' with the axels solid mouted at the rear I cant hop large curbs with the side farings near the wheels. then the gen box sticks out and have to watch both mirrors on a hard turn to make sure the box dont take out a pole. when we do the downtown events many times I go in at night just to avoid trying to get in the central part of the city with heavy traffic. the small towns are just as bad. Knock on wood I have never gotten stuck under a bridge or on a dead end street (yet) and I know what you mean with directions. How hard is it to figure out where you are from any major freeway or major intersection?????

What kind of racing do you guys do? stock car,dirt track?.....good looking outfit by the way!............Mark