Nice R700 In Boston:

Rob

So, it looks like he painted the engine gold.

Was it just the lighting, or is the bulldog also brass plated?

The brass colored bulldogs came along in the later 1980's to signify a Mack drivetrain including all major mechanical parts. The "Maxidyne" series of engines were gold colored but in the year of this truck's production, it would have had a chrome dog on the hood. This engine also does not have a "dynatard" engine brake as it has stamped steel rocker covers.

Nice truck although I prefer the raised cab look of the western trucks. This truck is probably an R795ST.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

So, it looks like he painted the engine gold.

Was it just the lighting, or is the bulldog also brass plated?

No its not the lighting,as Rob stated,maxidynes of this vintage were painted gold from the factory,the gold colored bulldog signifies a mack engine,generally an "all mack" truck ie: trans.,rears etc......chrome bulldogs around these years signify a vendor engine,ie: cat,cummins,detroit etc..........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

No its not the lighting,as Rob stated,maxidynes of this vintage were painted gold from the factory,the gold colored bulldog signifies a mack engine,generally an "all mack" truck ie: trans.,rears etc......chrome bulldogs around these years signify a vendor engine,ie: cat,cummins,detroit etc..........Mark

The Gold Bulldogs are also known as "Pedigreed Bulldogs". I don't know for sure what the logic behind the Bulldogs is currently, as I've seen both the Gold and the Chrome Bulldogs on trucks with all Mack components.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

The Gold Bulldogs are also known as "Pedigreed Bulldogs". I don't know for sure what the logic behind the Bulldogs is currently, as I've seen both the Gold and the Chrome Bulldogs on trucks with all Mack components.

I don't know about that either,mine came with the gold dog,but it was the 100th aniversary edition,i have not seen any new ones with gold dogs...maybe i'm not looking hard enough!..........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Boy,

If that don't look like the So. Jersey F.D. truck that had a tanker with it, I'm sure it went to MA.or NH. It was a 325 Maxi V8 with the Maxitorque 6 speed no Jake, I don't remember what it sold for ?

BULLHUSK

My first inclination was an ex fire department unit. I'm not familiar enough with fire apparatus to make a guess as to what type.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The brass colored bulldogs came along in the later 1980's to signify a Mack drivetrain including all major mechanical parts. The "Maxidyne" series of engines were gold colored but in the year of this truck's production, it would have had a chrome dog on the hood. This engine also does not have a "dynatard" engine brake as it has stamped steel rocker covers.

Nice truck although I prefer the raised cab look of the western trucks. This truck is probably an R795ST.

Rob

The gold Bulldogs first appeared in 1966 and were put on all Maxidyne powered trucks.The bases were even gold on the real early ones.The Maxidyne engines were all painted gold until '79 or '80,some EPA issue with the paint being used.They used a crappy orange for a short while,then went to light blue.The gold Bulldog continued until '81,then went back to chrome dogs on everything,this was about same time they bobbed the ears and tail.The gold Bulldog returned on the Elite series CH and CL,then about '95 or '96,returned to the hood of all Mack drivetrain trucks.

My first inclination was an ex fire department unit. I'm not familiar enough with fire apparatus to make a guess as to what type.

Rob

Under the video is Boyer Construction Truck. Boyer is / was in the Boston area working on the big dig. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The gold Bulldogs first appeared in 1966 and were put on all Maxidyne powered trucks.The bases were even gold on the real early ones.The Maxidyne engines were all painted gold until '79 or '80,some EPA issue with the paint being used.They used a crappy orange for a short while,then went to light blue.The gold Bulldog continued until '81,then went back to chrome dogs on everything,this was about same time they bobbed the ears and tail.The gold Bulldog returned on the Elite series CH and CL,then about '95 or '96,returned to the hood of all Mack drivetrain trucks.

I can believe the introduction timeframe but don't know about the consistency. I purchased my 72 R model from the original owner and it is/was all Mack with a chrome dog and base. My 77 R795 did not have a gold dog although 100% Mack engine and driveline. I have seen others with the gold dog however. My latest acquisition is from the original owner, all Mack, and never repaired or wrecked, and has a chrome dog and base. The only real consistency that I've seen personally is on the later 80's and 90's model trucks mentioned. If it had all Mack guts, it had a gold dog. Maybe it was an extra cost, or available cost reduction delete item through the years?

Rob

I can believe the introduction timeframe but don't know about the consistency. I purchased my 72 R model from the original owner and it is/was all Mack with a chrome dog and base. My 77 R795 did not have a gold dog although 100% Mack engine and driveline. I have seen others with the gold dog however. My latest acquisition is from the original owner, all Mack, and never repaired or wrecked, and has a chrome dog and base. The only real consistency that I've seen personally is on the later 80's and 90's model trucks mentioned. If it had all Mack guts, it had a gold dog. Maybe it was an extra cost, or available cost reduction delete item through the years?

Rob

I do know that the gold or chrome Bulddogs can be bought off the shelf, and I think you're right about it being a order option, both currently and in the past.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

An older Mack Sales man told me that in the late 60's the Gold Dogs were on 6 cylinder trucks and the Chrome was on V8's. I have seen that in older sales catalogs. I know the gold dog matched what was on the building in PA..

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE