Hows Come:

Rob

Why is it that some gooseneck trailers have tandem axles with dual tires, and some have triple axles with single tires? These provide roughly the same cargo capacity when all said and done. I've pulled both and a triple axle is much harder on tires than the dual tandems, but there are two less tires.

Just wondering if this is a law type of thing, or personal preference on lighter trailers typically pulled by a one ton pickup, or hotshot setup?

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Why is it that some gooseneck trailers have tandem axles with dual tires, and some have triple axles with single tires? These provide roughly the same cargo capacity when all said and done. I've pulled both and a triple axle is much harder on tires than the dual tandems, but there are two less tires.

Just wondering if this is a law type of thing, or personal preference on lighter trailers typically pulled by a one ton pickup, or hotshot setup?

Thanks,

Rob

Hey Rob, I've called some trailer places and they are saying that it's nothing but a preference thing. Most trailer companies are no longer selling the triple axle trailers. It has nothing to do with the law. You are correct about the tire effects. As long as the tires are rated for carrying the load is the main obective.

mike

Hey Rob, I've called some trailer places and they are saying that it's nothing but a preference thing. Most trailer companies are no longer selling the triple axle trailers. It has nothing to do with the law. You are correct about the tire effects. As long as the tires are rated for carrying the load is the main obective.

mike

i had both, sold my tandem duell very easy. i have the 3 axle still.

hauling the same piece of equiepment on the different trailer, with the same truck. other than the tire thing, the frame on the tri axle is over a foot wider, felt better loading and cornering.

i had both, sold my tandem duell very easy. i have the 3 axle still.

hauling the same piece of equiepment on the different trailer, with the same truck. other than the tire thing, the frame on the tri axle is over a foot wider, felt better loading and cornering.

I used to work for an implement company with a 3 axle. I was told on uneven off-roads with a crown the 3 axle tracked better because the 2 axle duals is so narrow just the inside duals carried the load a lot of the time and was a lot less stable.

When dealing with enclosed car trailers(like my Haulmark), they mandate 3 axles anything over 32ft. That way they don't have weight issues and tire failures. They offer 7K axles(for the big stacker trailers), but most commons are 3-5K axles(like mine). I get 6 yrs out of tires and never had serious scrub issues but I watch where I go and how I turn. I usually just loose tires due to age, not neglect. The single tire also gives more floor space with a box, unlike a large utility trailer that is tall enough to allow duals under the deck.

BTW, my trailer is only 10K on the axles(rated 15K), so I think that is why I don't have the issues that some have. If I was loading very heavy, like others do, then I might have more problems.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"