Engine Oil

Anyone see a problem with topping off Rotella 15w40 with Mobil 5w30?

Do not mix oils. Manufacturers use different chemical additives in their oils that are not always compatible. You might get away with mixing two oils of the same grade, but I wouldn't mix 15w40 with 5w30.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Do not mix oils. Manufacturers use different chemical additives in their oils that are not always compatible. You might get away with mixing two oils of the same grade, but I wouldn't mix 15w40 with 5w30.

I've never seen a 5W30 oil rated for diesel engine usage. I would not mix the two but rather find another oil that is rated for this usage.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Isn't COMPATIBILITY a wonderful thing? Even small engines can let you down when you change over or mix different oils together. Like these guys have said: Don't Mix or You'll Fix whatever your working on later.

mike :blink:

Thanks to all of you for this good input.

The oil was free, but not worth tearing up an engine.

Thanks again.

5w30 is what Cat says to use in late c15/c16 here in Canada, low sulfer fuel. Our shop used to use in newer company trucks, but not any more. why have 2 types oil so now just 15w40

I've never seen a 5W30 oil rated for diesel engine usage. I would not mix the two but rather find another oil that is rated for this usage.

Rob

5w30 is what Cat says to use in late c15/c16 here in Canada, low sulfer fuel. Our shop used to use in newer company trucks, but not any more. why have 2 types oil so now just 15w40

Current production (2010 emissions) Mack and Volvo engines are are factory filled with 10w30, which they say results in a pretty substantial fuel economy increase.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

this is gona be a long post. sorry

i bought my truck in feb. 2010. i was told it had a fresh service, didnt trust em, was a mack dealer and it had hastings filters on it. i ran about 10,000 miles, thought id save a buck and change it myself. went to mack for filters, i had 4 gallons of rottella 15-40 so i went to wally world and got enough rottelllo to finish the oil change. i have run this in my other trucks and equipment with no problems. i thought all (same weight) oil came out of the same barrell just different jugs. in the 10,000 miles my truck didn't use a drop of oil.

i pulled out for salt lake city, ran to little america,WY. about 1,300 miles. noticed frame was wet under turbo, appeared turbo leaking oil. checked oil next morning 1 gallon low. when i left it looked like the place was on fire, so much smoke from my truck.

contacted mackpro for a turbo replace, as soon as i could work my way to ky. i ran about 9,000 miles and put in 8 gallons of oil.

mackpro suggested we try putting mack oil in it and see if that would help. when i seen the price of the turbo i was easy to talk into letting it go one more change.

so he put mack oil in. i ran it 15,000 miles turbo and frame still damp, but acceptable. had to add three gallons on that service.

i was trying to get as much as i could out of the turbo.

im on the next change now, have put 7,000 miles so far and has not used a drop of oil, also turbo and frame are dry.

this is kida a long winded way to say i will never mix oil, and will do my best to find out what has allways been used............

THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD HAVE BELIEVED THIS STORY IF IT DIDN'T HAPPEN TO ME......