R Model Air Tank Problem

i have aa 91 r model with the large air tank that looks like a beer keg, well it has rusted through under the straps and naturally is now leaking air. anyone know if there is a aluminum tank avaiable that would work? mack wants anywhere from $1100-$1300 which i think is crazy for what it is. anyone have any alternative ideas of has anyone run into this problem? its only a pin hole rite now and i would take it off and attempt to fix it but i dont want to open up a can of worms and open it up more. but i think the dot wouldnt be too impressed to see that.

i have aa 91 r model with the large air tank that looks like a beer keg, well it has rusted through under the straps and naturally is now leaking air. anyone know if there is a aluminum tank avaiable that would work? mack wants anywhere from $1100-$1300 which i think is crazy for what it is. anyone have any alternative ideas of has anyone run into this problem? its only a pin hole rite now and i would take it off and attempt to fix it but i dont want to open up a can of worms and open it up more. but i think the dot wouldnt be too impressed to see that.

The DOT won't like it if they find out you don't have enough air reservoir capacity either. Post your VIN or PM and I'll see if I can find an aluminum tank of the same dimensions. They did have aluminum air tanks for RD chassis, but I would expect to pay more for aluminum than for steel (if buying new).

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

last six of the vin is 010283

The parts list shows two air tank part numbers which are supposed to be interchangeable. Both are labeled as steel. Part numbers for the tanks are 22QE41212 and 22QE31053P2. They are described as being 22 inch diameter tanks with 8250 cu in capacity. I haven't been able to find an aluminum version of that tank.

ahh oh well thanks for checking that though...i guess i have to check the junk yards. ....yeah i gave welding it a thought but im worried whats going to happen to it when i take the straps off it...or im going to have to do some retro fitting....peterbilt made some decent looking air tank sets that i see on some of the later tri-axles.

ahh oh well thanks for checking that though...i guess i have to check the junk yards. ....yeah i gave welding it a thought but im worried whats going to happen to it when i take the straps off it...or im going to have to do some retro fitting....peterbilt made some decent looking air tank sets that i see on some of the later tri-axles.

If you have enough room you might be able to mount the longer tank that many of the RD chassis have.

i dont know if i have ever seen an rd style tank. have seen a ton of rd's but never took notice to their tanks. aluminum??

Here's a picture of it and the mounting hardware, brackets, etc. The part number for the aluminum version of the tank is 22QE41192. 12" diameter by 50.88" long, 5449 cu in capacity.

tank.pdf

Here's a picture of it and the mounting hardware, brackets, etc. The part number for the aluminum version of the tank is 22QE41192. 12" diameter by 50.88" long, 5449 cu in capacity.

Hi, weld her up, it will be pitted under the straps, but it wont be to bad. in my pics I have the tank mounted near tail shaft, it sits behind fuel tanks, it is genuine mack

Grant

Hi, weld her up, it will be pitted under the straps, but it wont be to bad. in my pics I have the tank mounted near tail shaft, it sits behind fuel tanks, it is genuine mack

Grant

i think 58" is to long my air dryer is directly behind the fuel tank and the lift axle is directly behind the air tank. i have i think its like 30" max to mess with. and id like to get a six inch piece of exhaust pipe up through there aswell to get a stack up the drivers side after i cut the head board of the dump box down.

i think 58" is to long my air dryer is directly behind the fuel tank and the lift axle is directly behind the air tank. i have i think its like 30" max to mess with. and id like to get a six inch piece of exhaust pipe up through there aswell to get a stack up the drivers side after i cut the head board of the dump box down.

Hello, well you might be stuck to welding her up or converting to electric start or buy a new one?? welding her up be the cheapest depending on how bad it is.

pitty I am not near you, I have 2 here.

Grant

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, well you might be stuck to welding her up or converting to electric start or buy a new one?? welding her up be the cheapest depending on how bad it is.

pitty I am not near you, I have 2 here.

Grant

I had a huge aluminum air starter air tank on a '90 CH613 I sold a while back. It was mounted under the driver's side cab, about the size of what you are talking about. Have someone at Mack look up CH613 with the last six of 007999.

I had a huge aluminum air starter air tank on a '90 CH613 I sold a while back. It was mounted under the driver's side cab, about the size of what you are talking about. Have someone at Mack look up CH613 with the last six of 007999.

The part number for that tank is 22QE39321P2. There are no dimensions given for it.

Just get some 1/8 inch steel rolled to match the tank and have it welded on. A friend just got 2 pieces rolled to repair where the straps go, cost $50. We will weld it ourselves but it should'nt cost much to have it done. Definately cheaper than a new tank or the cost of fittings and hose to try and make something else work.

Just get some 1/8 inch steel rolled to match the tank and have it welded on. A friend just got 2 pieces rolled to repair where the straps go, cost $50. We will weld it ourselves but it should'nt cost much to have it done. Definately cheaper than a new tank or the cost of fittings and hose to try and make something else work.

That's what I'd do if it was mine.

Don't forget to pressure test all the welds with soapy water, and re do any pinholes before re installing the tank.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

That's what I'd do if it was mine.

Don't forget to pressure test all the welds with soapy water, and re do any pinholes before re installing the tank.

Hi Herb. You mean like someone did seven times to my passenger side fuel tank?? There are also three patches on the large air tank, but I don't have photos of that.

Rob

post-78-083227200 1283001289_thumb.jpg

post-78-022285200 1283001292_thumb.jpg

post-78-049176500 1283001294_thumb.jpg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yeah, something like that, although it would be better to form a band & do the entire strap area with one piece!

A couple times I had rust holes in fuel tanks, so I sent 'em to a local welding shop, figuring they'd do a nice job. When I picked up the tanks, each time I asked "did you pressure test it"?

The reply was "we don't do that here".

Both of those tanks leaked due to pinholes in the welds.

I got pissed off & removed the tanks again both times, re welded the problem areas myself & tested with 10PSI in the tank and soapy water sprayed on the welds.

After that, I just always did it myself. Why pay big bucks to somebody else, then do the job over again myself anyway.

Safety note to anyone contemplating welding a tank: REMOVE ALL PLUGS & CAPS BEFORE & DURING WELDING! IF PRESSURE & HEAT BUILD UP IN A FUEL TANK OR OILY AIR TANK, YOU'VE GOT A POTENTIAL BOMB THERE!!!! Not only that, but the pressure will push back & make a porous weld.

ALSO, NEVER WELD ON A GASOLINE TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Yes, this was kinda comical when I pulled it from the truck. They are sound welds, but look terrible being so many of them. My son actually bought me a duplicate tank in very near new condition to replace this one, but I've not mounted it yet.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.