Sissy Air Conditioning

randyp

Well, I am bout at my limit. I am going to check on putting a roof air unit on excavator this week, just cant take the heat anymore and excavator has glass all around. I slide front window up so I can get good and dirty, lock side door open, open right side window so I can get a good fresh breeze of hot hydraulic hose heat, am at my limit! Gonna bite the bullet and check into one, if it works out right, think I may put one on "Killer B". Dozer doesnt bother me so much, its open ROPS, I can handle that better, I seem to be spending all my time on excavator and truck at this, the hottest months of year here, so you all know of any after market companies or got any ideas, please to be of advisement to me. Oh yeah and also, if you put a link here for me, please make it where it will light up so I can transfer to it, then show Mark how to properly do that, heh,,heh,,hang in there Mark,,LOL,,Randy

Well, I am bout at my limit. I am going to check on putting a roof air unit on excavator this week, just cant take the heat anymore and excavator has glass all around. I slide front window up so I can get good and dirty, lock side door open, open right side window so I can get a good fresh breeze of hot hydraulic hose heat, am at my limit! Gonna bite the bullet and check into one, if it works out right, think I may put one on "Killer B". Dozer doesnt bother me so much, its open ROPS, I can handle that better, I seem to be spending all my time on excavator and truck at this, the hottest months of year here, so you all know of any after market companies or got any ideas, please to be of advisement to me. Oh yeah and also, if you put a link here for me, please make it where it will light up so I can transfer to it, then show Mark how to properly do that, heh,,heh,,hang in there Mark,,LOL,,Randy

There is this approach. post-6084-093482900 1277555963_thumb.jpg

I think Rowdy Rebel may have tried it in the past so check with him to see how it worked out.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Randy, try this link:

http://www.rdac.com/Pages/product_pages/units_index.html#Anchor-Rooftop-47857

That'll get you to the site, then there's lots of stuff you can click on.

heh heh heh,,thanks HK, unlike Marks links, it even turns red when I put my lil mousy doodad over it. LOL, have never in my life seen so many innovative (if thats the word) opportunities for cool air! thanks all,,,Lt. Randy (I cant help it, just love giving myself official titles)

There is this approach. post-6084-093482900 1277555963_thumb.jpg

I think Rowdy Rebel may have tried it in the past so check with him to see how it worked out.

I shouldnt reveal this rhasler, but i did remotely consider the generator, window unit deal. When I worked in the coal mines, we actually had one shovel equipped that way,,,Corp. Randy

heh heh heh,,thanks HK, unlike Marks links, it even turns red when I put my lil mousy doodad over it. LOL, have never in my life seen so many innovative (if thats the word) opportunities for cool air! thanks all,,,Lt. Randy (I cant help it, just love giving myself official titles)

mine turns green when I put the little pointy thing on it.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Dammit boy! i can really feel the love today! LOL! sometimes my wife says she thinks i'd be better off with a hammer and chisel, stone tablet to send messages!..Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I think that's Rowdy's car.

I've seen a lot of guys do this with a truck,cut a hole in the back of the bunk,put a window unit in,but NEVER seen anything like this! thats some real "artful" engineering right there!........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I've seen a lot of guys do this with a truck,cut a hole in the back of the bunk,put a window unit in,but NEVER seen anything like this! thats some real "artful" engineering right there!........Mark

Thats right Mark, now some you gurus correct me ifn im offbase here, but isnt there something about a window unit ac that must always be level or the compressor will labor or burn up? I have run lots of different equipment in mines that had roof air, course the compressor was mounted on engine, RVs have roof air, the compressor is mounted inside roof air unit, but I think it has to be level to be efficient. The direction im headed here, LOL, is it seems like I am always bout to slide out the front window or fall through back glass, or standing on my head on excavator, shit, never get to work anywhere flat! One durn way or another, am a gonna have me some cool air in that hot SOB real soon one way or another. Heh,,I even saw an ad online for a box that you fill with ice, (says it takes 20 pounds of ice a day), it has a circulating pump and fan, but good grief it cost over $700.00!!! I get paid to move dirt anyway, not haul ice,,LOL,,,Spec4 Randy

Randy, try this link:

Thanks for link HK, Red Dot has some good looking roof air units, looks like exactly what I want, very low profile and all, and they show 3 dealers for them in Dallas, Texas. bout 125 miles from me,,,thanks,,,Ensign Randy

I think that's Rowdy's car.

Nope. Don't have a generator OR an AC window unit laying around here at the house. If I gotta spend money, I'm gonna fix it right. I only redneck engineer the stuff I can fix WITHOUT spending money. :thumb:

And I don't have any cars, either. Got 3 pickup trucks (with a 4th on the way), a motorcycle, and the Mack...but no cars. :banana:

For AC, I just roll the windows down. Mother nature does a good enough job conditioning the air for me. B)

...of course it makes it pretty obvious what I do for a living :pat:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Nope. Don't have a generator OR an AC window unit laying around here at the house. If I gotta spend money, I'm gonna fix it right. I only redneck engineer the stuff I can fix WITHOUT spending money. :thumb:

And I don't have any cars, either. Got 3 pickup trucks (with a 4th on the way), a motorcycle, and the Mack...but no cars. :banana:

For AC, I just roll the windows down. Mother nature does a good enough job conditioning the air for me. B)

...of course it makes it pretty obvious what I do for a living :pat:

Mother Nature doesn't like the swamp ass though...she told me that one day...

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Mother Nature doesn't like the swamp ass though...she told me that one day...

LOL, you got that right Gambi, by bout one in the evening, im all wet and smelling like my ass been drug through a swamp! We been averaging bout 102 or 103 here every day, but the worst part is the dam humidity, hell, cant even breathe here. I may be a sissy, but here pretty soon im gonna be a cool sissy. Judge Randy (I am just bou t to run out of official titles and may have to start over) P.S. keep that load of grenades clear of texas, one may cook off here.

Randy, try this link:

HK, called yesterday and got price on complete roof AC package, its $1900.00 plus $75.00 if I need a universal comprressor bracket. I suppose that sounds kinda high, thats if I do the install myself. It shouldnt be much trouble, just cut hole in roof, mount unit, mount compressor, run hoses and wire it up. However, have been kknown to say "probably be a piece of cake" before and got my ass bit pretty good. Thats for the heavier duty unit designed for offroad equipment, looks pretty ruggedly built. The cheapest unit was for trucks, weighed lot less, less BTU,s, and price wasnt really much cheaper. Thanks for link info, gonna try to get it pretty quick and cool my lil bony ass off a little in there. will let you know how all goes, thanks again,,,,Climate Control Tech. Randy

(I am just bou t to run out of official titles and may have to start over)

You still have "Father", Deacon", "Sister", "Reverend", "Pastor", "Rabbi", "Cantor", "Imam", "Ayatollah", etc. to choose from.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

And I don't have any cars, either. Got 3 pickup trucks (with a 4th on the way), a motorcycle, and the Mack..)

You speak of your pickups like some people talk about their kids...

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

You still have "Father", Deacon", "Sister", "Reverend", "Pastor", "Rabbi", "Cantor", "Imam", "Ayatollah", etc. to choose from.

Yeah, thas right HK. I got my poor lil dozer and excavator and dump truck so dirty and smelly today, dont know whether to try and wash them or just sell , and start over. I been off in a "Dairy Lagoon". I do any more of these in future, gonna have to charge em extra for the smell. Hell, not sure if they will ever clean up. I did have me a lil slurp of raw cows milk right out of the "chiller" before I left there today, owner insisted, but I do believe I will stick with store bought milk. It had been a long time since I had any as a kid, and I have definitely lost a taste for it. I am still planning on the Red Dot roof air for excavator, link you gave me really came in handy,,thanks,,,Attorney General Randy

HK, called yesterday and got price on complete roof AC package, its $1900.00 plus $75.00 if I need a universal comprressor bracket. I suppose that sounds kinda high, thats if I do the install myself. It shouldnt be much trouble, just cut hole in roof, mount unit, mount compressor, run hoses and wire it up. However, have been kknown to say "probably be a piece of cake" before and got my ass bit pretty good. Thats for the heavier duty unit designed for offroad equipment, looks pretty ruggedly built. The cheapest unit was for trucks, weighed lot less, less BTU,s, and price wasnt really much cheaper. Thanks for link info, gonna try to get it pretty quick and cool my lil bony ass off a little in there. will let you know how all goes, thanks again,,,,Climate Control Tech. Randy

You also have to have it charged and make sure you have the oil charged as well. That might run you upward of $75-$150 depending on the amount of refrigerant used. You can do it yourself but you need to invest in a charging manifold and vacuum pump. I did just that and have successfully charged a few systems myself with great results. Bought a Cooler Master charging manifold for around $80 and a used JB Industries vacuum pump off ebay ($150). JB pumps are made in the USA and they provide part lists and exploded view diagrams to rebuild and service the pump as necessary (http://www.jbind.com/).

Charging is simple. Hook both the red high side and blue low side hoses to the AC system and hook the yellow hose to the vacuum pump (some manifolds have 4 hoses one for vacuum and the other for refrigerant). Then make sure your pump is full of oil and then turn it on. Open both the high and low side valves on the manifold to begin the pump down. Give it an hour or two to pull a nice vacuum and also eliminate any moisture and vapor from the system. You should be able to pull and sustain a vacuum of 29 inches of mercury (<20Torr). Then shut both valves on the manifold, disconnect the pump and then connect the yellow line to a can or tank of refrigerant. Start the vehicle and slowly crack the low side valve letting the refrigerant into the low side. This will build up pressure in the low side and charge the system. Sometimes the pressure in the low side gets high enough tso as the refrigerant in the can or tank wont evaporate. That's an easy problem to fix, get a pail or bucket of warm water and submerge the can into the water. This causes the pressure to quickly build from the can forcing it to empty. Keep charging until the low side can run at a stable 40PSI and the high side around 250PSI (that is for R134a). Oh and never charge the system from the high side unless you want the charging can to explode.

The equipment cor charging can run you upward of $300 but you can charge any modern refrigeration system. Maybe make a few bucks on the side charging AC systems.

• Like 1

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

You also have to have it charged and make sure you have the oil charged as well. That might run you upward of $75-$150 depending on the amount of refrigerant used. You can do it yourself but you need to invest in a charging manifold and vacuum pump. I did just that and have successfully charged a few systems myself with great results. Bought a Cooler Master charging manifold for around $80 and a used JB Industries vacuum pump off ebay ($150). JB pumps are made in the USA and they provide part lists and exploded view diagrams to rebuild and service the pump as necessary (http://www.jbind.com/).

Charging is simple. Hook both the red high side and blue low side hoses to the AC system and hook the yellow hose to the vacuum pump (some manifolds have 4 hoses one for vacuum and the other for refrigerant). Then make sure your pump is full of oil and then turn it on. Open both the high and low side valves on the manifold to begin the pump down. Give it an hour or two to pull a nice vacuum and also eliminate any moisture and vapor from the system. You should be able to pull and sustain a vacuum of 29 inches of mercury (<20Torr). Then shut both valves on the manifold, disconnect the pump and then connect the yellow line to a can or tank of refrigerant. Start the vehicle and slowly crack the low side valve letting the refrigerant into the low side. This will build up pressure in the low side and charge the system. Sometimes the pressure in the low side gets high enough tso as the refrigerant in the can or tank wont evaporate. That's an easy problem to fix, get a pail or bucket of warm water and submerge the can into the water. This causes the pressure to quickly build from the can forcing it to empty. Keep charging until the low side can run at a stable 40PSI and the high side around 250PSI (that is for R134a). Oh and never charge the system from the high side unless you want the charging can to explode.

The equipment cor charging can run you upward of $300 but you can charge any modern refrigeration system. Maybe make a few bucks on the side charging AC systems.

Thanks for all the helpful info Thaddeus, I had actually forgot bout the charging part. I have a manifold, but it is from years ago and wont fit anything now. Ive never owned a vaccum pump, may just have to get me some of that stuff, after what they charge for all that nowadays. It would sure be nice to sit in excavator with cold air blowing down on my lil head, be able to shut doors and windows and actually hear radio. Thanks for help,,,Pope Randy IV