As My Back Continues To Improve:

Rob

Now that I'm finally able to get back to work full time I've started collecting more parts to get my B67 back on the road. I took off work today and picked up the "S" cams my uncle annealed, welded up, then reground for me. These were then dropped at a heat treating place in Peoria. They are long obsolete parts and were very shot in the bearing surfaces. Looking new but soft, they should be "good as new" next week when I pick them up. I've had all new linings installed onto the aluminum shoes with new seals and wear rings ready to be installed on all corners. Also going with all new lug studs, nuts, wedges, hubcaps, and wheel spacers. Did not get the blaster scheduled for the drums and spiders as I actually forgot about it till too late this evening. Still having a time getting the correct seals for the "S" cams though. May need to run without as the old ones were virtually non existent.

I also purchased a 36" length of cored SAE660 bearing bronze that new bushings will be made from for the brake anchor pins, and "S" cam supports front and rear. The actual "S" cam bushings are still available so I'll order those. I've already acquired type 24/24 chambers for the drives, and type 16 service chambers for the steer. Also ordered a rubber bushing set for the trunion rebuild today. Probably going to retain much of the original copper brake lines as there really is nothing wrong with it but will however run new plastic for spring brakes/valves and such.

Next week I'll probably get new springs ordered for the steer axle. I've already purchased much of the rubber parts needed to continue the project, but have lost a lot of time attributed to injury this year for working on the trucks. Hopefully I can now get a couple hours in per night and still have this one ready to drive mid summer. I may haul the engine/trans out over the weekend but unsure at this point. The gantry crane is setup itching for work so we'll see.

Don't think all this stuff I've spoken of is cheap, it is not. I've let go right at $1800.00 for the brake rebuilding, (so far) with none of it being labor. The heat treatment will be in addition and will bust the aforementioned amount. Then the blasting and parts for the engine etc...... No real end in sight but I like the truck....

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

HI ROB,Glad too here your doing better, don't Mack make parts for these trucks anymore? My dad had a customer with a chain drive (it wasn't a bulldog) i would guess it would be in the 30's? open cab Rad. in front (concrete mixer)this was in the mid 60's Newark Mack still had parts for those trucks even the Bull Dog's BULLHUSK

THE MONEY PIT

A boat is called" a hole in the water you pour money into"

What would old trucks be called?

A truck hobbyist has pictures of his truck in his wallet where the money used to be!....mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

HI ROB,Glad too here your doing better, don't Mack make parts for these trucks anymore? My dad had a customer with a chain drive (it wasn't a bulldog) i would guess it would be in the 30's? open cab Rad. in front (concrete mixer)this was in the mid 60's Newark Mack still had parts for those trucks even the Bull Dog's BULLHUSK

Hey bullhusk did anyone ever move into cambria macks old building down on route 1? i had heard that newark mack was thinking about opening up a branch there. Just curious, i had a pretty good parts guy at cambria, believe he ended up at newark.......mark

WOW Mark, I think Newark Mack closed in the late 70's (McCarter Hwy. & Miller ST)& then i think in the mid 80's Hillside Mack closed (RT. 22). Cambria on the other hand lost there bldg. on Rt.46 in Elmwood Pk. To a fire (mid 90's?) closed the one on Rt.3 opened up on Dowd Ave in Elizabeth N.J.(old Clark Forklift bldg.)The one on Rt. 1 & Plainfield Ave? Good question last i heard Cambria wound up with a Volvo dealership an that's what it was don't know about now? BULLHUSK

WOW Mark, I think Newark Mack closed in the late 70's (McCarter Hwy. & Miller ST)& then i think in the mid 80's Hillside Mack closed (RT. 22). Cambria on the other hand lost there bldg. on Rt.46 in Elmwood Pk. To a fire (mid 90's?) closed the one on Rt.3 opened up on Dowd Ave in Elizabeth N.J.(old Clark Forklift bldg.)The one on Rt. 1 & Plainfield Ave? Good question last i heard Cambria wound up with a Volvo dealership an that's what it was don't know about now? BULLHUSK

Sorry bout' that, meant the one on dowd ave. forgot that was in elizabeth,just woke up still a little retarded!...mark

I dont think anyone is in the rt1 building. My bet is that it is going to be torn down. Cambria moved to Tallmadge rd in Edison almost across from Campbell Frieghtliner, they are in a building that is easy to miss as it does not look like a truck dealer. They have Volvo, Peterbilt, Autocar, and GMC franchises. As far as Macks parts system, parts for the older trucks are getting harder and harder to get. Mack offers a lot more than other truck makers would for 30+ year old trucks, but more and more parts are becoming nla. Up until the late 90's it was amazing what Mack used to have parts wise available for its trucks. I personally felt that it was started under Renaults knife where they started cutting slow moving parts numbers, and it is only getting worse under Volvo. Volvo is renumbering all of the Mack part numbers with their own so that doesnt help the matter. Someone needs to tell the bean counters how important a great parts system is. A perfect example of probably the best is Caterpillar, but I think that Mack of old used to have one that was right up there with them.

THE MONEY PIT

A boat is called" a hole in the water you pour money into"

What would old trucks be called?

A spot in the yard I hit with the mower? A flathead wallet drain?

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

Now that I'm finally able to get back to work full time I've started collecting more parts to get my B67 back on the road. I took off work today and picked up the "S" cams my uncle annealed, welded up, then reground for me. These were then dropped at a heat treating place in Peoria. They are long obsolete parts and were very shot in the bearing surfaces. Looking new but soft, they should be "good as new" next week when I pick them up. I've had all new linings installed onto the aluminum shoes with new seals and wear rings ready to be installed on all corners. Also going with all new lug studs, nuts, wedges, hubcaps, and wheel spacers. Did not get the blaster scheduled for the drums and spiders as I actually forgot about it till too late this evening. Still having a time getting the correct seals for the "S" cams though. May need to run without as the old ones were virtually non existent.

I also purchased a 36" length of cored SAE660 bearing bronze that new bushings will be made from for the brake anchor pins, and "S" cam supports front and rear. The actual "S" cam bushings are still available so I'll order those. I've already acquired type 24/24 chambers for the drives, and type 16 service chambers for the steer. Also ordered a rubber bushing set for the trunion rebuild today. Probably going to retain much of the original copper brake lines as there really is nothing wrong with it but will however run new plastic for spring brakes/valves and such.

Next week I'll probably get new springs ordered for the steer axle. I've already purchased much of the rubber parts needed to continue the project, but have lost a lot of time attributed to injury this year for working on the trucks. Hopefully I can now get a couple hours in per night and still have this one ready to drive mid summer. I may haul the engine/trans out over the weekend but unsure at this point. The gantry crane is setup itching for work so we'll see.

Don't think all this stuff I've spoken of is cheap, it is not. I've let go right at $1800.00 for the brake rebuilding, (so far) with none of it being labor. The heat treatment will be in addition and will bust the aforementioned amount. Then the blasting and parts for the engine etc...... No real end in sight but I like the truck....

Rob

Sorry it's been a while. I've been overwhelmed with work and settling since our move in November. Faith is getting a fuel pump rebuild and should be on the road for memorial day. I'm pushing to get into the Football Hall of Fame parade this year. I'm sure your doctor told you to lose more weight but they need to understand that some people are what they are. I wish that you would take better care of yourself. The 550lb patient of ours had a heart attack and isn't doing well. he is only 43. The 900 pounder is still around but is having other health problems relating more to hygene. Get better Rob.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

Sorry it's been a while. I've been overwhelmed with work and settling since our move in November. Faith is getting a fuel pump rebuild and should be on the road for memorial day. I'm pushing to get into the Football Hall of Fame parade this year. I'm sure your doctor told you to lose more weight but they need to understand that some people are what they are. I wish that you would take better care of yourself. The 550lb patient of ours had a heart attack and isn't doing well. he is only 43. The 900 pounder is still around but is having other health problems relating more to hygene. Get better Rob.

I'm trying. Something I miss the most is getting to wash my own feet. My daughter absolutely refuses to help her old man out, and Momma is tiring of the task. Lacking care for the "Essence of Foot Stench", she soldiers on.

Glad to hear "Faith" is getting attention she deserves. The hall of fame is a short jaunt for you and would be fun to participate in the parade. Come to think, I should probably start my A40 as it's been a few months in mothballs within the shop.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I'm trying. Something I miss the most is getting to wash my own feet. My daughter absolutely refuses to help her old man out, and Momma is tiring of the task. Lacking care for the "Essence of Foot Stench", she soldiers on.

Glad to hear "Faith" is getting attention she deserves. The hall of fame is a short jaunt for you and would be fun to participate in the parade. Come to think, I should probably start my A40 as it's been a few months in mothballs within the shop.

Rob

better check the fuel first.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

better check the fuel first.

It's only diesel that I have problems with.......

Rob