Can Any Tell Me About The Differance Between A Tip Turbine Motor And Air To Air

ralph14

im looking at buying a 1986 Mack R model and Have not got to go see it yet but it looks like it might have a tip turbine instead of air to air the filter houseing has 2 ducts coming out of it thats why i think it may be tip turbine its suppose to have a 350 Econodyne and i was wondering when Did mack go to air to air, where Thay Still useing tip turbine in 1986, Which is the way to go tip turbine or air to air. i will be hauling coal with it so it will be short runs with heavy loads if that makes a difference thanks for any help

2PUPS,I'm not sure if the tip turbine motor had a 350 hp? but to answer your question i think the tip turbine which was installed on the engine took the hot air (using the tip turbine)to force it through the intercooler (mounted on the motor)to cool the air before it entered the combustion chamber.The newer truck's have the intercooler up front in front of the rad. much bigger then the motor mounted one and it cools with force air & fan. Cummin's & Cat had similar engine mounted one's called aftercooler's they were water cooled Cat 1693 TA Detroit 8V92 TA turbo aftercooled BULLHUSK

bull husk has it right.

the tip turbine was powered off of boost that was bleed/regulated from the hot side of the intake system. The boosted air would spin the turbine and the impeller on the other side of the turbine would thus suck in cool air from the air filter. this cool air was forced to pass thry the charge cooler and would cool the boosted air. the air would simply exit the charge cooler and exhaust out in the engine bay. It was basicly a complacated way to get air to move over a surface. not sure if intercoolers were to expencive or if BBC dims were a part of the compact design?

the tip turbines I saw were normaly a 285 HP Maxidyne but there was a model known as a 300+ or 315HP that was a Econodyne and had a air to water cooler under the charge cooler. it used the standard charge cooler but also used the trucks coolant system for intake temp control. I have heard that the early 350HP had the tip turbine/water combo as well but I have not seen one in person.

the charge cooler only 285 was a very good engine. only thing that was a PITA was all the extra intake piping on the top and side of the motor. a good running turned up 285 can keep up or do better than a stock 300.

Mack used the tip turbine up to 86, with the end of the two valve head. They also made a 350 hp tip turbine engine that was a real strong runner. It was a good package, just that you had to make sure the filter and tip turbine were in top shape or else your pyro temps would really start to climb. This is the case with every tip turbine equiped mack but more much more important with the 350's.

bull husk has it right.

the tip turbine was powered off of boost that was bleed/regulated from the hot side of the intake system. The boosted air would spin the turbine and the impeller on the other side of the turbine would thus suck in cool air from the air filter. this cool air was forced to pass thry the charge cooler and would cool the boosted air. the air would simply exit the charge cooler and exhaust out in the engine bay. It was basicly a complacated way to get air to move over a surface. not sure if intercoolers were to expencive or if BBC dims were a part of the compact design?

the tip turbines I saw were normaly a 285 HP Maxidyne but there was a model known as a 300+ or 315HP that was a Econodyne and had a air to water cooler under the charge cooler. it used the standard charge cooler but also used the trucks coolant system for intake temp control. I have heard that the early 350HP had the tip turbine/water combo as well but I have not seen one in person.

the charge cooler only 285 was a very good engine. only thing that was a PITA was all the extra intake piping on the top and side of the motor. a good running turned up 285 can keep up or do better than a stock 300.

I have heard that the early 350HP had the tip turbine/water combo as well. This is a fact!

All the above posts are valid coments ,No real advantage or disadvantage the frontal air cleaned up the engine compartment mostly the tip turbine engine likly would give a little less turbo lag not really noticable to the average guy!And as usual the frontal air was paving the way to the 4 valve engine that was the main reason for the change.No real advantage or disadvantage

Trent, I had an 82 285 that had the inner cooler in front of the radiator. My 78 and my 79 both had tip turbines. The 82 was noticably stronger than the 78 or the 79. I believe Glen Rauesh's Valuliner (81 I think) had the tip turbine. Glen is still running this truck with well over 1,000,000 miles.

Chuck

Trent, I had an 82 285 that had the inner cooler in front of the radiator. My 78 and my 79 both had tip turbines. The 82 was noticably stronger than the 78 or the 79. I believe Glen Rauesh's Valuliner (81 I think) had the tip turbine. Glen is still running this truck with well over 1,000,000 miles.

Chuck

Chuck i think the first of the 300 series with the tip turbines were 285hp, the charge air coolers were a full 300hp.i think Mack was the first ones to use charge air cooling.

i know this has nothing to do with the question that you asked but here goes i used to work with a guy that was called 2 dogs and he was from your town and lived on rt 160 thats not your dad is it ... joe