The First New Truck I Owned

vision386

I was going through some old pictures today, came across one of the first brand new truck i owned, It was ordered in may 1988,was delivered in oct.1988 when it came in i was suprized to see it was delivered blue with white stripes! it had been ordered the other way-around at the time, i was leased to atlas van lines and their policy was that the tractor had to be primarily white, so after a few choice words and a frantic phone call to evansville, i was able to get it worked out and stay leased on as-is (was) This was a damn good truck! it was an E-6 350,backed by a 13 speed roadranger,3:90 rears on 4 bag air-ride. I put almost 496,000 miles on it, and it was nearly problem free.I have always been a bit of a pain in the ass when it comes to my trucks appearance,kept them clean ,polished and well maintained, even back then people had a hard time believing it was an 88'.The man i sold it to 16 years ago was still running it up until this year pulling containers with it,and the last i saw it, still looked damn-near new! How many other make trucks that are 20 plus years old do you see on the road today? something to be said for mack longevity!....mark

post-5836-127311309506_thumb.jpg

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I was going through some old pictures today, came across one of the first brand new truck i owned, It was ordered in may 1988,was delivered in oct.1988 when it came in i was suprized to see it was delivered blue white white stripes! it had been ordered the other way-around at the time i was leased to atlas van lines and their policy was that the tractor had to be primarily white, so after a few choice words and a frantic phone call to evansville, i was able to get it worked out and stay leased on as-is (was) This was a damn good truck! it was an E-6 350,backed by a 13 speed roadranger,3:90 rears on 4 bag air-ride. I put almost 496,000 miles on it, and it was nearly problem free.I have always been a bit of a pain in the ass when it comes to my trucks appearance,kept them clean ,polished and well maintained, even back then people had a hard time believing it was an 88'.The man i sold it to 16 years ago was still running it up until this year pulling containers with it,and the last i saw it, still looked damn-near new! How many other make trucks that are 20 plus years old do you see on the road today? something to be said for mack longevity!....mark

Thats a sharp looking ride,,I like that,,looks like its getting ready to take off with the shop,,later,,Randy

Thats a sharp looking ride,,I like that,,looks like its getting ready to take off with the shop,,later,,Randy

Man i miss my 40'x60' morton building thats for sure! lost it when we moved to virginia, now i have WAY more crap than i do building!...mark

Good looking MH. I love seeing these "when they were new" pictures

Thanks! thats a good looking B-81 you have as well. are you from up around carlstadt,NJ ? could swear i've seen that truck working up around the meadowlands (or one just like it) reason i ask is i'm from jersey born and raised, we moved to virginia about 2 years ago.....mark

Be glad you guys were able to buy some classy machinery new like that. I most likely won't be able to and don't want to buy anything new nowadays... It'll all be 'new to me' but not new. B)

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

as long as it's running strong and making you money!!!! that's what all about

It's making money, but making ME money........now that's a different story... :wacko:

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

It's making money, but making ME money........now that's a different story... :wacko:

I know what ya mean... :pat:

I wish I was 20-30 years older....so I could have owned new trucks back when they were worth owning. Now, ya got the EPA mandating a bunch of crap that I just don't want to have to deal with...which only adds to their outrageous price. :blink:

If I ever win the lottery, I might buy a new truck...but since I don't waste my money buying tickets, I doubt I'll be hitting the jackpot anytime soon. I sure as hell ain't spending my hard earned money on a new POS :o

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Thanks! thats a good looking B-81 you have as well. are you from up around carlstadt,NJ ? could swear i've seen that truck working up around the meadowlands (or one just like it) reason i ask is i'm from jersey born and raised, we moved to virginia about 2 years ago.....mark

Thanks for the compliment. I am from Holmdel, in Monmouth county. Its probably not the truck since it lived out in Bayshore Long Island all its life until '05 when I bought it. I only worked the truck for a couple of weeks having fun with it and then its been apart getting restored. Its about 85% complete now. Where are you from originally?

real nice mh vision....that was the first truck i ever owend an old superior carriers truck. i'm also from jersey, i live in east rutherford

Thanks i appreaciate the comment! i'm south jersey myself, down near the delaware memorial bridge, between 295 and the turnpike......superior carriers was a tank outfit corrrect? mark

Thanks for the compliment. I am from Holmdel, in Monmouth county. Its probably not the truck since it lived out in Bayshore Long Island all its life until '05 when I bought it. I only worked the truck for a couple of weeks having fun with it and then its been apart getting restored. Its about 85% complete now. Where are you from originally?

Oh ok, there are still quite i few B-81's working the NJ/NY metro area,so could have been some other one.I am from salem county in south jersey,little town named elmer,lived there all my life up until about 2 years ago, we just had to get away from the taxes,corrzine, and the cost of living! but we still miss jersey, its a different world down here!.........mark

Be glad you guys were able to buy some classy machinery new like that. I most likely won't be able to and don't want to buy anything new nowadays... It'll all be 'new to me' but not new. B)

I agree, i would not buy a new truck in this economy either, i am a firm believer in taking care of what you have.I was fortunate things worked out for me as they did,i was single then,ran my ass off! looking to slow down a bit now,but you're right, its damn hard to make a decent living with a truck anymore,not impossible, but hard! I have about 10 years to go,if nothing changes i dont want another truck that i have to make money with,just an old R or B-model that i can play with....ya' know? mark

What dealer did you buy it from? Horner?

Yes i ordered it from horner,they were "my" dealer for a good long time, till they sold out, i have nothing good to say about the bergey group that bought the dealership ,other than that they still have a great parts guy,(came from horner) he's not afraid to dig deep and find what you need. If you ever get stuck looking for a part, he's worthwhile giving a call at the vineland branch, his name is melvin street (streetzy) he will sure help you out if you need something, and you're not too terrible far from their pennsauken branch. mark

I miss the old Tom Bailey Mack until TransSource bought them out. It went from walking in for help to taking a number behind the fleet thats in there. 2 weeks until I have a PM done is pretty bad. So I know what you mean about your old local dealer. - Jay

Yes i ordered it from horner,they were "my" dealer for a good long time, till they sold out, i have nothing good to say about the bergey group that bought the dealership ,other than that they still have a great parts guy,(came from horner) he's not afraid to dig deep and find what you need. If you ever get stuck looking for a part, he's worthwhile giving a call at the vineland branch, his name is melvin street (streetzy) he will sure help you out if you need something, and you're not too terrible far from their pennsauken branch. mark

Thanks for the tip, I will keep that in mind. Good Mack parts guys are harder and harder to find these days.