Ud Trucks

Mack 3P

"For several years now, UD Trucks North America (the new name for the Nissan Diesel truck brand) has been part of the Volvo Group. Today, as part of our ongoing efforts to improve efficiency in the Group’s North American truck operations and position ourselves for future growth, we’re announcing that UD Trucks North America will become part of the North American Trucks organization effective January 1, 2011.

The Volvo Group is committed to the sustainability of its truck brands in North America, and this consolidation will help ensure that each brand has the support it needs. We believe the new structure will also bring very real benefits to UD Trucks customers and dealers in terms of products, parts and system support – in fact the full range of transport solutions.

UD Trucks will relocate its headquarters from Irving, Texas, to Greensboro by year-end and share “back-office” support functions with the Mack and Volvo brands. And like Mack and Volvo, UD Trucks will maintain a separate sales and marketing organization to promote the “UD” brand image and position in the market.

We don’t have all of the details of the UD integration in place, including how individual UD employees will be affected and how many will be asked to relocate. (Currently UD Trucks has 36 employees in its Irving office.) We expect to have more details in the next 90 days.

I know I can count on you to support the “UD Trucks family” during and after the transition. Please join me in welcoming them to North American Trucks.

Denny Slagle

President & CEO

North American Trucks"

• 2 months later...

Nissan Diesel America is completely revamping its UD Truck line for 2005. The manufacturer is dropping its 12,000-lb GVWR UD 1200 chassis and replacing it with a 13,000-lb GVWR UD 1300 model. The UD 1800 CS (City Spec) will undergo several changes, the most significant of which is a larger cab. The 1800 CS will be spec'd with the same cab used on Nissan's UD 1800 HD (Heavy Duty) model, giving it more side-to-side room so that three people can fit more comfortably. The larger cab also increases the truck's forward visibility, expanding its windshield size from 1,900 sq. in. to 2,465 sq. in.

Engines for all of Nissan's UD trucks are going to change as well. Units will have either the new four-cylinder MD 175 or the six-cylinder MD 230 diesel powerplants. The MD 175, standard on UD 1300, 1400, and 1800 CS models, offers 175 hp and 347 lb-ft of torque. The MD 230, standard on the 1800 HD through the 3300 HD chassis, offers 230 hp and 506 lb-ft of torque.

Other changes include an automatic Aisin transmission, which is standard on the 1300 and 1400 models. Factory-installed air conditioning will be standard on all UD trucks. Finally, a standard air-ride driver's seat will be offered on the UD 1800 HD chassis and above. :chili::banana::chili::thumb::banana::chili:

Edited by TrUcKbOy

"For several years now, UD Trucks North America (the new name for the Nissan Diesel truck brand) has been part of the Volvo Group. Today, as part of our ongoing efforts to improve efficiency in the Group’s North American truck operations and position ourselves for future growth, we’re announcing that UD Trucks North America will become part of the North American Trucks organization effective January 1, 2011.

The Volvo Group is committed to the sustainability of its truck brands in North America, and this consolidation will help ensure that each brand has the support it needs. We believe the new structure will also bring very real benefits to UD Trucks customers and dealers in terms of products, parts and system support – in fact the full range of transport solutions.

UD Trucks will relocate its headquarters from Irving, Texas, to Greensboro by year-end and share “back-office” support functions with the Mack and Volvo brands. And like Mack and Volvo, UD Trucks will maintain a separate sales and marketing organization to promote the “UD” brand image and position in the market.

We don’t have all of the details of the UD integration in place, including how individual UD employees will be affected and how many will be asked to relocate. (Currently UD Trucks has 36 employees in its Irving office.) We expect to have more details in the next 90 days.

I know I can count on you to support the “UD Trucks family” during and after the transition. Please join me in welcoming them to North American Trucks.

Denny Slagle

President & CEO

North American Trucks"

So 3P, is this the long awaited "baby 8" chassis? I can't imagine that NAT will let Mack develop it's own medium duty chassis when UD already has one, but you would know more about such things than I.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

So 3P, is this the long awaited "baby 8" chassis? I can't imagine that NAT will let Mack develop it's own medium duty chassis when UD already has one, but you would know more about such things than I.

The only thing I can say is... I can't say.

What is this baby 8 chassis you speak of? I would like to know more about it. Mack Australia has a truck that could handle the class 6/7 market called the Metroliner. Pretty much a regular Mack cab with a short hood and Cummins ISC or ISL engines. Short BBC, little over 105 inches.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

What is this baby 8 chassis you speak of? I would like to know more about it. Mack Australia has a truck that could handle the class 6/7 market called the Metroliner. Pretty much a regular Mack cab with a short hood and Cummins ISC or ISL engines. Short BBC, little over 105 inches.

Details are pretty sketchy, mostly just vague rumors. As 3P said: "The only thing I can say is...I can't say" (because I don't know).I would like to see a Midliner class replacement that was similar to what you have described, along the lines of the International 4400 or Kenworth T300 (I believe theat's the correct model number but I may be wrong). From what I've heard, the UD are supposed to be pretty good trucks, but then again I haven't heard very much.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Details are pretty sketchy, mostly just vague rumors. As 3P said: "The only thing I can say is...I can't say" (because I don't know).I would like to see a Midliner class replacement that was similar to what you have described, along the lines of the International 4400 or Kenworth T300 (I believe theat's the correct model number but I may be wrong). From what I've heard, the UD are supposed to be pretty good trucks, but then again I haven't heard very much.

As sketchy as they are I would like to know, is it a "baby Mack" like the Metroliner, or something else? UD based?

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Back in the mid 90's I had two UD series trucks that were branded International. Both were rollback carriers and very good trucks. They were supported through the Mack dealer used at the time with no problems. Parts were expensive in comparison to an R model but other than the occasional clutch, there were no outstanding, or recurring problems. One of the trucks was a 1500 series, the other 1800 series, with 175, and 210 hp engines. They were smooth, quiet trucks, but prone to rust.

I let both go and purchased a CS-300P Midliner that yielded very good service also until the wrecker entity of the business was phased out.

I've wondered for a few year since the severance with Renault, what series of truck would replace the class 6/7 segment provided from the Mack brand.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Back in the mid 90's I had two UD series trucks that were branded International. Both were rollback carriers and very good trucks. They were supported through the Mack dealer used at the time with no problems. Parts were expensive in comparison to an R model but other than the occasional clutch, there were no outstanding, or recurring problems. One of the trucks was a 1500 series, the other 1800 series, with 175, and 210 hp engines. They were smooth, quiet trucks, but prone to rust.

I let both go and purchased a CS-300P Midliner that yielded very good service also until the wrecker entity of the business was phased out.

I've wondered for a few year since the severance with Renault, what series of truck would replace the class 6/7 segment provided from the Mack brand.

Rob

Powell's Truck and Equipment, the International dealer in Lynchburg, used to sell UD's.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

• 4 weeks later...

I drove 2 UD trucks back in the late 90's early 2000 and they were great rollback/tow trucks. with 21foof beds you could still turn them around in a 2 lane road and not back up. the air over hydraulic brakes were a lil wierd but did good, full air would have been better.

matt