Cursed With A Conscience

RowdyRebel

:pat:

So at the end of the day, I fueled up the truck before heading back to the house...that way I'm ready to roll with it in the morning. It was pretty low on the fuel gauge, so I was expecting to pump around 70 gallons (give or take). I topped it off, evening out the dollar amount on $229...which was 77.653 gallons. Seemed like a lot, considering I've only got an 80 gallon tank on one side and a 20 gallon tank on the other...but it was pretty far on "E", so I didn't think much of it.

When I went to pay, they rang it up as $183.05...or 62.072 gallons. I told them that wasn't what the pump said, and one of the employees went out to look at the pump. The guy came back in and said the pump was on $229...so obviously there was a problem SOMEWHERE, but they were guessing the pump was wrong and their computer was right. So, they ran my card for $183.05 and I went back out to the truck....it just didn't look right on the receipt.

I pulled out a calculator and crunched the numbers. I had run 427.8 miles since my last fill-up. 62.072 gallons would have put me at 6.892 mpg...and I have only done that one time when I was hooked to a 1000 cu. ft. tank running empty at 55 mph through Illinois the whole way. I had more loaded miles on this tank of fuel than normal...and I have NEVER seen that sort of fuel mileage on dumps...even when empty (the tanks are a little lighter and a lot more aerodynamic). 77.653 gallons would put me at 5.509 mpg, which is in the right ballpark.

I could have left, and nobody would have said a thing...but I didn't. I went back inside with my calculations and informed them that the pump was correct. Of course they thanked me and told me they were HOPING it was the pump that was wrong, because it was cheaper & easier to fix...and then they charged me the remaining $45.95 that I would have paid had they rang it up at the $229 the first time. :pat:

Sure, I COULD be sitting here with almost $46 extra in my pocket...but I'm not sure I would have slept well knowing I had taken more than I had paid for :unsure:

Sometimes having a conscience really sucks... :blush:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

:SMOKIE-LFT:

I was raised that way too.

Throughout my life,I've tried to do the right thing consistently (And BOY-it's cost me plenty! :pat: )but,like you said,I don't have any trouble sleeping at night because of anything I've done,or haven't done. I notice that people who are good souls tend to attract other like-minded people,and I like being surrounded by good people. That's one reason I like it here! :twothumbsup:

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Well...then I'm a bastard, or Liberal...depending on who's eyes are looking.

A while back I went to use the atm at Casey's here in town...found a $20 bill laying where the cash is spit out...proceeded to take the $80 out I was intending. Cashed out with a net of $98.50 (after atm fee, of course).

Year and a half or so ago, I was ripped off by $20 by the same machine...malfunctioning bla bla. Took my complaint and reciept to the bank, never heard a thing....

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

A while back I went to use the atm at Casey's here in town...found a $20 bill laying where the cash is spit out...proceeded to take the $80 out I was intending. Cashed out with a net of $98.50 (after atm fee, of course).

Year and a half or so ago, I was ripped off by $20 by the same machine...malfunctioning bla bla. Took my complaint and reciept to the bank, never heard a thing....

I don't worry about machine errors...unless I get the short end of the stick :angry: . Besides, finding a $20 in the ATM dispenser is like finding a few quarters in the change slot on a payphone or vending machine...someone obviously didn't want it, and there is really no way to know EXACTLY who the money belongs to. :thumb:

I don't like ripping people off, though. Whether its the owner of a business, or just a cashier who made the mistake, or even an error with the equipment they are depending on to make a living...especially someplace where I show my face with any regularity. At the very least I wanted them to know where the error had occurred. If they had said "thanks...but don't worry about it" I would have said "cool, thanks" and left it at that...but I just couldn't leave without at least trying to correct the situation.

I'd like to think I would have done the same thing had it been a big chain truck stop, too, instead of just a tiny little non-affiliated, single location fuel stop....but it wouldn't have been near as easy for me to do at a Pilot, T/A, Flying J, etc... :lol:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I didn't know they had Casey's that far up there in Yankee Liberal land. :lol: Gambi your far from a Liberal!

There's Casey's stores everywhere around here. A lotta times I'll go out of my way a bit to get to one. Most gas stations and truck stops have coffee that I think tastes like shiiiiit (no, not literally shit)...Casey's is alright, plus as the commercial goes...they're alll the same.

I am neither liberal nor conservative...I am me. I will not capitalize liberal or conservative because I don't think those two words in this particular context deserve that much respect.

There's Casey's stores everywhere around here. A lotta times I'll go out of my way a bit to get to one. Most gas stations and truck stops have coffee that I think tastes like shiiiiit (no, not literally shit)...Casey's is alright, plus as the commercial goes...they're alll the same.

My mom manages one of the Casey's down here. They are located in small towns with fewer than like 5,000 people. They have the best coffee but Pilot comes in the top spot for coffee. Casey's also have a stronger Colombia coffee they also brew with the regular and decaf. The Colombian coffee is my favorite. They have some good pizza too especially their bacon breakfast pizza when it's fresh out of the oven and in the warmer.

My mom manages one of the Casey's down here. They are located in small towns with fewer than like 5,000 people. They have the best coffee but Pilot comes in the top spot for coffee. Casey's also have a stronger Colombia coffee they also brew with the regular and decaf. The Colombian coffee is my favorite. They have some good pizza too especially their bacon breakfast pizza when it's fresh out of the oven and in the warmer.

I don't care WHERE I get coffee, it is rarely strong enough. When I make it here at the house, I've got an 8-cup percolator. I use 4 or 5 heaping scoops of coffee (fill the basket 3/4 full) with 6 cups worth of water. I get it started cooking about an hour before I pour my cup, so it's got plenty of time to cook...pours out good & black :thumb: Every once in a while, I'll stop off in a truck stop and they'll have the old style coffee pots (the glass ones that you can actually pick up & pour into your mug) and I'll look for one that's been on the burner for a while & cooked down a bit...usually it'll be strong enough.

I can't stand watered down beverages. I'd rather drink WARM coke than watered down coke. My parents banned me from making kool-aid at the house growing up, because I'd use 1 gallon's worth of mix to make 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of juice. When camping, if I didn't feel like mixing up the orange juice, I'd just drink the concentrate straight out of the cardboard tube it came in...just pop the top & drink it. Even my sweet tea that I make in the summer time (in lieu of coffee) is good & strong...strong enough that normal people can fill their glass with ice & top off with my sweet tea and it's about right for them....of course I drink it straight up...maybe 1 or 2 ice cubes on a particularly warm day...

I hate pouring clear liquid that is SUPPOSED to be coffee into my mug... :angry:

Well Damn. Don't know if I'll ever fit in with you honest sons a bitches. I'm always one in the shadows with the dagger watching your back. "Two for me, none for you" is my motto.

Reading these last few posts and outward displays of honesty and integrity just makes me want to cry.

Believe that shit? Not hardly. We all have our good points, and bad. Don't know anybody that is an exception to the basic rules.

People here in this little town thought the minister at one of the churches was a very good person close to god, until he was caught screwing the choir leader when they were both married to others.

We've all done good things and bad things. Part of life in general.

Don't brag on the good unless you're willing to even the storyline.

Only one person I've ever heard was perfect, and they nailed his ass to a cross for being that way.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Well Damn. Don't know if I'll ever fit in with you honest sons a bitches. I'm always one in the shadows with the dagger watching your back. "Two for me, none for you" is my motto.

Reading these last few posts and outward displays of honesty and integrity just makes me want to cry.

Believe that shit? Not hardly. We all have our good points, and bad. Don't know anybody that is an exception to the basic rules.

People here in this little town thought the minister at one of the churches was a very good person close to god, until he was caught screwing the choir leader when they were both married to others.

We've all done good things and bad things. Part of life in general.

Don't brag on the good unless you're willing to even the storyline.

Only one person I've ever heard was perfect, and they nailed his ass to a cross for being that way.

Rob

I try to do right...doesn't always mean I'm successful. Do unto others and stuff. Yeah, we're all human and we'll all fall short of expectations once in a while...but that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep trying to be the best people we can be, should it? :idunno:

oh yeah...and ya don't bring a knife to a gunfight 2gunsfiring_v1.gif

Rob

Least the person he was screwing was of age to be married.

Seems to be in the job description for that sort of work nowadays...

Speaking of that crap...I just saw on ABC news tonight that the makers of a particular gunsight for the U.S. Military are attaching certain book of stories' verses to the serial numbers of said gun part...for example...35435445JN12:12

Long story short...they thought it would be offensive to the people they're over there killing (Moozlimz) that the rifles launching the bullets at them had christian scripture letters on them...."jesus rifles" they called 'em.

I had to chuckle in amusement...I know, I'm going to hell.

You're right,Rob;

None of us is perfect,and we've all made mistakes and bad choices in life,but the people we were in the past doesn't matter near as much as the people we are now. sorry if we hit a sore spot.

Speed

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Certainly nothing wrong with trying to live right and not infringe upon others. I have clear conscience because I go out of my way to not fuck people over. I tend to do others as they do me. Of course I am a very vindictive person when wronged. Wish I could get over that part sometimes as it can be all consuming, but there has to be a system of checks and balances for all.

I'm not perfect and would not be happy if others looked at me as if I was. I have the admiration and respect of my family and that's about all that is really important to me. I've earned that as it was not given.

The rest in life, I'm still working on.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You're right,Rob;

None of us is perfect,and we've all made mistakes and bad choices in life,but the people we were in the past doesn't matter near as much as the people we are now. sorry if we hit a sore spot.

Speed

Hi Speed, no need for any type of apology and certainly no sore spot irritated. We all have our "look what I done" stories that would fill volumes but should they be posted to ensure others look at us favorably? Not really. I've done very similar over the years with of all people "insurance companies". I've actually refunded monies to these crooked, greedy pieces of shit because they overpaid, or paid incorrectly for goods/services that were rendered. That in itself does not make me a good person but it is good business, and my motivation.

If I find a wayward twenty dollar bill in the street, no doubt it's going in my pocket unless there is resonable assurance the proper owner can be found. I actually may not keep it, but forward onto a homeless shelter I support, (which also does not make me a good person). I live life trying to get by. Sometimes I help others, sometimes I don't. I'm a strong believer in "paying it forward" because in the end, there is nothing to make up as the stage has already been set for your arrival. How you lived your life will reflect on your spirit.

Rob

Hi Speed, no need for any type of apology and certainly no sore spot irritated. We all have our "look what I done" stories that would fill volumes but should they be posted to ensure others look at us favorably? Not really. I've done very similar over the years with of all people "insurance companies". I've actually refunded monies to these crooked, greedy pieces of shit because they overpaid, or paid incorrectly for goods/services that were rendered. That in itself does not make me a good person but it is good business, and my motivation.

If I find a wayward twenty dollar bill in the street, no doubt it's going in my pocket unless there is resonable assurance the proper owner can be found. I actually may not keep it, but forward onto a homeless shelter I support, (which also does not make me a good person). I live life trying to get by. Sometimes I help others, sometimes I don't. I'm a strong believer in "paying it forward" because in the end, there is nothing to make up as the stage has already been set for your arrival. How you lived your life will reflect on your spirit.

Rob

Looks like we're on the same page after all! :thumb:

And again,"That's one reason I like it here!" :twothumbsup:

I try to be fair and equitable to everyone. Makes for good business and for good sleep. I've been f--- over by one guy after working in Miss. after Katrina. He bought a new house not far from here. I've thought about using his windows as targets with my .270. BUT, what would that get me?

He will have to answer to a higher authority when the time comes. I'll visit to piss on his grave.

Mr. Rowdy-how you want your coffee

Rowdy-I like my coffee like I like my women-BLACK and BITTER

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I didn't know they had Casey's that far up there in Yankee Liberal land. :lol: Gambi your far from a Liberal!

I voted Liberal in our last Provincial election

Am I going to get my BMT membership revoked ?

For me ?? It depends on the situation whether I would take the money

or merchandise and leave. In most cases I would work with the attendant as Rowdy did.

GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up

All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.

Maybe the moral oral of the story was the cashier's un-willingness to see there was a problem. The computer said what it said and she took it as such.

Rowdy Rowdy Piper would've drove away with that $46 in his pocket he might've had cops knocking on his door later on charging him with a gas 'n go.