Momma's Gonna Be Pissed:

Rob

Not bad lookin at all Rob. PL Duncan has a few of those over at his place, but he has pickups and parts in his. Maybe you can spend the next few days admiring it before mama ends your life so to speak...lol. Have a good one bud

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

It does look really good for it's age, and it certainly would look good behind your new B-67. Don't pay any attention to Joe- you know you NEED that trailer. Momma will understand.

Can I have an R-model or two, a B-model, and your 3/4'' socket set since you won't be needing them anymore?

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

It does look really good for it's age, and it certainly would look good behind your new B-67. Don't pay any attention to Joe- you know you NEED that trailer. Momma will understand.

Can I have an R-model or two, a B-model, and your 3/4'' socket set since you won't be needing them anymore?

I'll reconfigure the will before she sees it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I would LOVE to see how some of these old trucks and trailers would compare in a wind tunnel test against some of the newer trucks. The B model trucks with their sloped windshields and rounded edges I'm sure would do better than my CH...and the rounded nose on the trailer is making a comeback. Vantage has that as an option on some of their end dumps.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Do you think you could get away with calling it an RV? I once tried calling a dirt car I was building a bass boat, that didn't work.

I'll bet she would go along with calling it my new house.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I agree with Rowdy the trucks back then were ahead of their time and had class. Now these so called areo trucks are just ugly and no class.

Me too. I love the old stuff-trucks used to have character. Now they all look alike, like cars. I can't identify most cars anymore until I see the name. You used to be able to tell at a glance what a '65 Impala was, or a Fairlane, or Roadrunner, or Chevette...I remember a guy from high school who was bragging that his parents were gonna get him a 'vette- and they did. A Chevette though, not a Corvette.

Me too. I love the old stuff-trucks used to have character. Now they all look alike, like cars. I can't identify most cars anymore until I see the name. You used to be able to tell at a glance what a '65 Impala was, or a Fairlane, or Roadrunner, or Chevette...I remember a guy from high school who was bragging that his parents were gonna get him a 'vette- and they did. A Chevette though, not a Corvette.

Maybe he should have been more specific when he was askin' his parents for the car :lol:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Chevette: I remember those things well. As kids we took a nice little two door car and stuck a 73 400 Chevy and turbo 375 from a Kingswood station wagon in it. We wound up with a driveshaft about 24 inches long when finished. I used the outer perimeter of the original hood, and a busted aftermarket "L88" corvette style hood scoop from a Camaro hood for clearance. The hood was light enough that the hinges were not used, just pins to hold it down. It was difficult to get a radiator to fit into the space due to vertical dimensions and little width. A good portion of the donor parts were from a rusted 75 Chevy "Monza" car that originally had the 262 V8. The original plans were to use it's automatic but it wasn't any good, and the station wagon was rusted badly too. When the fuel tank fell out, my neighbor quit driving it and gave it to me as it ran well.

That sucker was a lot of fun for awhile. Someone needed it more than I so I sold and it was wrecked shortly afterward. I moved to V8 Vega projects after that cause Nova cars were excellent donors at that time, and plentiful.

Rob

Chevette: I remember those things well. As kids we took a nice little two door car and stuck a 73 400 Chevy and turbo 375 from a Kingswood station wagon in it. We wound up with a driveshaft about 24 inches long when finished. I used the outer perimeter of the original hood, and a busted aftermarket "L88" corvette style hood scoop from a Camaro hood for clearance. The hood was light enough that the hinges were not used, just pins to hold it down. It was difficult to get a radiator to fit into the space due to vertical dimensions and little width. A good portion of the donor parts were from a rusted 75 Chevy "Monza" car that originally had the 262 V8. The original plans were to use it's automatic but it wasn't any good, and the station wagon was rusted badly too. When the fuel tank fell out, my neighbor quit driving it and gave it to me as it ran well.

That sucker was a lot of fun for awhile. Someone needed it more than I so I sold and it was wrecked shortly afterward. I moved to V8 Vega projects after that cause Nova cars were excellent donors at that time, and plentiful.

Rob

I bet it WAS fun. Mom and Dad bought a brand new '71 Impala 4 door with a 400 small block, 2 bbl. carb.-first brand new car we ever had- and it would go!.. and that was a LARGE car!

I bet it WAS fun. Mom and Dad bought a brand new '71 Impala 4 door with a 400 small block, 2 bbl. carb.-first brand new car we ever had- and it would go!.. and that was a LARGE car!

The next car I put together was a 73 Vega "Sedan Delivery". It was basically a Vega wagon with body color panels instead of rear windows. Back in those days Doug Thorly made a very nice conversion kit so nothing was cobbled together. This kit had the engine, and trans mounts, (for a manual, or 350 turbo/powerglide from an "A" body GM product) uprated front springs, headers, radiator, and all brackets needed. I bought a kit and sold what I wouldn't use to another guy cause I wanted a Mark IV engine in this one. I bought a 390 horse 427, (minus the carbs and heads) and installed a set of "Brodix" aluminum with large stainless valves. It was a real challenge to get this thing into the engine bay and actually fit. I wound up cutting most of the firewall away and making my own from aluminum sheet that had been "engine turned" like a 70's Trans Am dashboard. It looked really nice. About 1/2 of the inner rail skirts were of this same material.

I went with a full manual valve body, race prepped Powerglide and high stall converter. A cut down Nova rear axle, (12 bolt) and spool with "Strange" axles went in the back with a small fuel cell in the rear body. A homemade four link suspension and frame connectors rounded everything out. As I said the front suspension was part of the kit but used large Chevelle rotors and calipers. They were manual brakes, but worked well.

From a dead stop and street slicks tires, the front end would rise confidently, and predictable upon hard acceleration. The first time I stepped on the loud pedal really hard and yanked the front tires it about scared the living shit out of me cause I didn't expect it.

Momma, (then my girlfriend) wouldn't let me drive it on the street cause she thought I'd kill myself, (pretty wild in those days). The car had decent road manners as long as you didn't need to turn. I tried to bend it around a turn once and rolled the tire off the brand new skinny Centerline rim and broke it on a curb. This didn't make ole Rob none to happy. I was so pissed that the car didn't drive for shit so I sold it to a drag racer who put a full cage in it, and ran in the 1000', and 1/4 mile tracks in the area. I moved onto bigger and better things I guess cause I never messed with another big block Vega. Prior to this I'd done three small block Vega projects, one being powered by a 340 Dodge engine and 727 trans. They actually drove pretty good for a homebuilt.

Ahhh, the good old days......

Rob

Nifty ol trailer for sure. I always keep my eyes open for something like that for my truck(like I really need it). Even a s/a flat or drop deck would be cool.

Speaking of hard to steer, my '69 F100 has full spool/35 spline Moser axles, 29x12 M/T tires so the little 3 1/2" front runners give little indication of turning LOL!! It has UNDERSTEER really bad, especially on highway on/off ramps. You really have to work that wheel hard to get it to go around without ending up in the ditch. Been that way for 20 yrs now and likely never get changed. Sure is fun to drive though.

When I bought in spring '88 ALL stock!

69trk.jpg

Couple years ago

HONats06b.jpg

428CJ motor/4 spd

69motor.jpg

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Nifty ol trailer for sure. I always keep my eyes open for something like that for my truck(like I really need it). Even a s/a flat or drop deck would be cool.

Speaking of hard to steer, my '69 F100 has full spool/35 spline Moser axles, 29x12 M/T tires so the little 3 1/2" front runners give little indication of turning LOL!! It has UNDERSTEER really bad, especially on highway on/off ramps. You really have to work that wheel hard to get it to go around without ending up in the ditch. Been that way for 20 yrs now and likely never get changed. Sure is fun to drive though.

So, I guess you probably don't haul a lot of hay out of the field or go in the woods after a load of firewood with it very often then, eh?