Mack R688St Or 1980 Mack Superliner

Hi Guys,

I am split between buying a 1988 R688ST [350hp] or a 1980 Mack superliner [350hp]. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the difference is between the two of them engine wise and what the pros and cons of each could be? Thanks in advance :)

If the drivetrains are original to both units about the real only difference would be the RW series truck, (Superliner) will have a two valve, E-6 series engine, where the R688 will have four valve heads. They are both dependable engines as far as I'm familiar. I'm certain the four valve heads would be a little more efficient in usage, but depending on your usage of the truck it may or may not deliver better economy.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If the drivetrains are original to both units about the real only difference would be the RW series truck, (Superliner) will have a two valve, E-6 series engine, where the R688 will have four valve heads. They are both dependable engines as far as I'm familiar. I'm certain the four valve heads would be a little more efficient in usage, but ...oh-never mind.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

the RW should have a diffrent frame than the R688. superliners shared a frame with the MH. both will be great trucks. The superliner is considered a "classic" long hood model. If you want something a litte diffrent than go with the RW,however if your working the truck the RW is not the best for tight city spots as that hood hides cars and fire hydrants easy. not as bad as a long hood pete 379 but you get the point.

the 4 valve engines will have better part availibility but volvo will screw that up soon. Both engines are great runners just dont expect a 20 year old engine to out perform a new cat 550. Cabs are the same inside. the RW will have more ease to work on as the cab sits higher off the frame and the engine to fire wall clearance is about 12" vs the 2" found on the R688. Again both are strong trucks and you cant go wrong with either model

Trent

...tight city spots as that hood hides cars and fire hydrants easy. not as bad as a long hood pete 379... just dont expect a 20 year old engine to out perform a new cat 550

Trent

I haven't run over anything lately-and it'll probably outperform the 550 Cat I drive, because I can't seem to make a trip without the engine light coming on, usually an intake valve actuator fault code. Just like on my last trip...but then it's been almost 3 months since they fixed it the last time-not bad for a Cat.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

A 1980 Superliner should have the same frame as a Cruiseliner (2 piece with about a 3' overlap under the cab. The '88 should have a black dash, the '80 is brown. I'd look at the trans, suspension, and gearing compared to the intended use.

I think david is right the superliner II had the same frame as a MH. I stand corrected.. Other dog regardng the hood length and engine. the superliners I drove had the dual air cleaners,twin stacks and bug shelds on the hood. I could hide a full size cadillac over the hood at every stop light. could barely see when backing a short 22-24' dump trailer. first I would louse it in the mirrors then couldent look out past the stack if the trailer waskinked a few feet out of range of the mirrors..unless I was jackknifing it and at that point I could not recover.now try and back around a cul de sac with park cars on both sides...you had to be the one shot king with that truck!... I like the300-350 macks for pulling the low RPM range but the 550 cats will easy out pull them. Maintance wise the Mack will be cheaper in the long run unless volvo Fcuks that up

Thank you all for your input, it was very insightful. Can you please explain the Phrase "unless volvo fcuks that up'?

Volvo ownes Mack and they have been playing games both with building new trucks and parts for older trucks. Alot of old R model parts are being made in inda or simply outsourced to cheeper companys. You can still get all the engine parts but they will be a day when it starts to get a little more difficult. Volvo wants to move forward with their buisness plans and really does not want to keep the solid R models onthe road . How bad will it look when a 30 year old truck is still running better then their new stuff??.Right now some of the interior parts are NLA or "out of stock" luckly there is an aftermarket company called PAI that makes alot of mack parts.

Trent