Mack Locomotives And Hi-rail Switchers?

As a railfan and Mack fanatic, I've long been curious about Mack's forrays onto the "high iron". I've seen the two little Mack switchers at Lake Superior Railroad Museum and they are impressive machines, looking quite well finished despite being handbuilt examples of which only about 20 were made. Does anyone know what these locomotives had for power, and are they diesel- electrics or do they have mechanical drivetrains?

I've also heard of modern Macks with Hi-Rail conversions being used as railroad switchers in Australia. Does anyone know anything about these units? Such a road and rail capable switcher might be a viable business here in the midwestern U.S., where it would be cheaper for an elevator to hire such a truck for the occasion rail car switching rather than keep an expensive locomotive or purpose built wheeled switcher on hand...

I been to a couple facilities that have multi-purpose, multi-wheel vehicles to either move trailer or rail cars. Not sure the manufacturers name but they had rail wheels and pneumatic tires, usually all wheel drive.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

As a railfan and Mack fanatic, I've long been curious about Mack's forrays onto the "high iron". I've seen the two little Mack switchers at Lake Superior Railroad Museum and they are impressive machines, looking quite well finished despite being handbuilt examples of which only about 20 were made. Does anyone know what these locomotives had for power, and are they diesel- electrics or do they have mechanical drivetrains?

I've also heard of modern Macks with Hi-Rail conversions being used as railroad switchers in Australia. Does anyone know anything about these units? Such a road and rail capable switcher might be a viable business here in the midwestern U.S., where it would be cheaper for an elevator to hire such a truck for the occasion rail car switching rather than keep an expensive locomotive or purpose built wheeled switcher on hand...

The Hi Rail set ups are after market.There was a steel rail to truck tranfer place up the road from me had a Western Star set up to move the rail cars and shunt the trailers.I saw an article on it once that said it cost $500,000 Canadian approx US$350,000 at the time 1990 or so.

Pete

How about posting some pics of the Mack switchers in the museum,I've only seen old factory pics.

If you have a copy of the B model Photo Archives books,it shows some underside shots of the B44PBT "piggy back" tractor,made for use in rail yards.

Also,if you want to see an Aussie B converted to rail use,rent the movie"Mad Max:Beyond Thunderdome".Movie is pretty lame,but the B model makes it worth watching.It's even air start.

The museum Mack switchers can be found at www.lsrm.org/Education/diesel.asp

Metro Transit here in Minnesota has one of the Western Star "locomotives". It is an impressive machine, able to accellerate going upgrade while towing two Light Rail Cars. Canadian Pacific Railroad keeps one by the Hastings, Minnesota depot and rumor has it that it can pull 10 loaded hopper cars. That's over 2,000,000 pounds GCW... Sad to see that Mack has ceded this and other specialized markets to DCX.

Dont have any direct info on these rail trucks but I did stop at a Truck stop out in AZ last month and talked with a BNSF crew. They had stopped in for fuel or eats. I chatted with the driver and he said that the Westernstar could pull about 10 cars loaded with ballast or other M.O.W goods. Top speed was restricted to 25mph when on the rails. not shure if thats empty or pulling cars. He said that the automatic transmission was very HD to allow low rail speeds with all the weight it has to pull. Driver also said that his truck had been as far east as denver and west to L.A. He had thought that the BNSF was buying a few more this year to replace some rail only MOW engines. I would figure each unit is worth about a cool million after all the goddies are added on. Big air compressor, HD transmission, rail wheels,etc... the thing weighs something crazy as well to aid in traction. the truck had couplers at both ends. If you ever get a chance look at oneup close. cool stuff

Here is a shot of the Mack LT train............The Duesenburg of diesels !

IVE SEEN STARCARS(WestenStars) on the CN/ICG RAILS DOWN ROUND Memphis but never a :bulldog1: ON THE RAILS Man thats a beautiful sight & sight to see anymore pics of a :mack1: on the rails ?

yall have a safeone

Bulldog

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

IVE SEEN STARCARS(WestenStars) on the CN/ICG RAILS DOWN ROUND Memphis but never a :bulldog1: ON THE RAILS Man thats a beautiful sight & sight to see anymore pics of a :mack1: on the rails ?

yall have a safeone

Bulldog

LOL! Bulldog you gotta learn when to say "PHOTOSHOP" :lol:

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Photoshopped? Not!

This is the result of a collision a few years back on the Lackawanna Terminal Railroad. The Maintainence of Way crew was busy taking a break under a bridge and enjoying some liquid refreshment. In fact, they were enjoying said liquid refreshment so much that they completely forgot about their Mack high rail truck and they so lost track of time they forgot their Track Warrant had expired. About this time the Lackawanna Terminal's scheduled local wayfreight came along at it's roaring 10 mile per hour pace.

Now the crew of the venerable locomotive should have stopped short of the crash, but it appears they were either sleeping or had been inbibing also. In fact, it was a newly hired assistant brakeman on the caboose who finally applied the brakes when he noted pieces of locomotive along the right of way. The conductor and the rest of the crew informed the new brakie that he shouldn't have awakened them from their slumber, as the sight of chucks of locomotives alngst the tracks was an unremarkable everyday event on the Lackawanna Terminal Railroad.

The Lackawanna Terminal Railroad shops quickly determined that the Mack and locomotive were melded together in an inseperable manner. The crew had no complaints, the Mack being more comfortable than their locomotive cab and having more power to boot.

with tongue planted firmly in cheek,

GearheadGrrrl