I like seeing old photos of Mack trucks performing their intended duties.

I noticed the truck B model with the rectangular tanks is a left drive truck, while the others appear to be rt. drive. Is Scotland like the U.K. in that the driver is on the right side of the cab? Just wondering why the trucks would be appointed differently?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I noticed the truck B model with the rectangular tanks is a left drive truck, while the others appear to be rt. drive. Is Scotland like the U.K. in that the driver is on the right side of the cab? Just wondering why the trucks would be appointed differently?

Rob

Yes Rob they drive on the right all through the UK England, Scotland and Wales. I think the left hand drive one was the first one they bought and came directly from America, the other right hand drive B's came via Australia I think. The R series came direct from America and were sold to P & S via a dealer in Manchester. I have been in touch with the Mack Museum and they are sending me the build sheets of some of the vehicles P & S operated.

Rob

Yes Rob they drive on the right all through the UK England, Scotland and Wales. I think the left hand drive one was the first one they bought and came directly from America, the other right hand drive B's came via Australia I think. The R series came direct from America and were sold to P & S via a dealer in Manchester. I have been in touch with the Mack Museum and they are sending me the build sheets of some of the vehicles P & S operated.

Rob

me too, thanks!

...they're left drive, the picture has just been flipped, that's all. The slogan on the bumpers actually reads "daor eht fo gnik", which means "hey y'all!"

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Great pictures of some fine old Macks. Dieseldog I have this old movie called HARD DRIVERS that has a very young Sean Connery in it about some hard driving dump truck drivers in England. Looks to be made in the late 50's. Sean Connery wasn't the star..cann't remember the stars name but it was a great old movie.

I'm glad to know we have some of our English cousins on here. Thanks for the great pictures.

Matt

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

Great pictures of some fine old Macks. Dieseldog I have this old movie called HARD DRIVERS that has a very young Sean Connery in it about some hard driving dump truck drivers in England. Looks to be made in the late 50's. Sean Connery wasn't the star..cann't remember the stars name but it was a great old movie.

I'm glad to know we have some of our English cousins on here. Thanks for the great pictures.

Matt

Hello Matt, I think the film you were refering to was Hell Drivers, it was made in 1957 and the stars were Stanley Baker, Herbert Lom and Patrick McGoohan and Peggy Cummins. I have put some photos below, one of one of the Kew Dodge tippers used in the film, one of the young Sean Connery and a couple of others.

post-4360-1250848753_thumb.jpg

post-4360-1250848764_thumb.jpg

post-4360-1250848785_thumb.jpg

post-4360-1250848774_thumb.jpg

Edited by dieseldog123g