Duplex Paint Color

Mike

Mike,

My 1963 production year, bone stock 673-P engine and duplex transmission are both

a light metallic "industrial grayish-green" color that I have seen on many Mack engines.

I have heard it called "Chrysler Turquoise" too, but I'm not sure if that's accurate.

The engines must have been several different colors, as I also have two that are both

a simple gray color, and appear to be original. Haven't seen a gold 673-P yet, but it doesn't

surprise me, as the early Maxidyne engines were sometimes gold, and production overlapped.

I have seen transmissions painted a dull aluminum color that looks pretty good, especially

on the "light" aluminum cases. That's probably my choice for my own stuff.

Just a guess, but I think the transmissions and engines were painted as an assembled unit at

the factory.

Just tonite, I have painted one of my 711's in the medium gray color, that I think was original on that

particular engine. It's getting an aluminum colored transmission behind it, with the emergency

brake operating hardware, e-brake drum and all attached steel parts painted satin chassis black.

Hope this helps -

Paul VS

Mike,

My 1963 production year, bone stock 673-P engine and duplex transmission are both

a light metallic "industrial grayish-green" color that I have seen on many Mack engines.

I have heard it called "Chrysler Turquoise" too, but I'm not sure if that's accurate.

The engines must have been several different colors, as I also have two that are both

a simple gray color, and appear to be original. Haven't seen a gold 673-P yet, but it doesn't

surprise me, as the early Maxidyne engines were sometimes gold, and production overlapped.

I have seen transmissions painted a dull aluminum color that looks pretty good, especially

on the "light" aluminum cases. That's probably my choice for my own stuff.

Just a guess, but I think the transmissions and engines were painted as an assembled unit at

the factory.

Just tonite, I have painted one of my 711's in the medium gray color, that I think was original on that

particular engine. It's getting an aluminum colored transmission behind it, with the emergency

brake operating hardware, e-brake drum and all attached steel parts painted satin chassis black.

Hope this helps -

Paul VS

Hi Paul,

I was remembering the color of Larry's P as his is painted gold. I like to stay with the correct colors if at all possible. Most car trans. were a natural metal and we used to paint them with a clear-coat. I just don't know about the trucks color's.

Thanks

mike

I think that they are painted red oxide primer... Thats what mine is

b61 fred

All of mine seem to be "natural". The tri-plex's are all aluminum, the quadraplex is cast iron without paint, and the Fuller's seem to be red primer.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi Paul,

I was remembering the color of Larry's P as his is painted gold. I like to stay with the correct colors if at all possible. Most car trans. were a natural metal and we used to paint them with a clear-coat. I just don't know about the trucks color's.

Thanks

mike

I've never seen any Mack engine except a "Maxidyne" that was painted gold originally. That was their distinguishing factor.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Actually the stock color for the 673, 711 thermodynes and 720, 7220 duplex triplex and quadruplex transmissions is that "turquoise" color, similar to the "alpine green" color used on the old Detroit 2 cycle diesels.

This Color

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Actually the stock color for the 673, 711 thermodynes and 720, 7220 duplex triplex and quadruplex transmissions is that "turquoise" color, similar to the "alpine green" color used on the old Detroit 2 cycle diesels.

This Color

So Herb, what you are saying is, the engine and transmission were painted the same color as a single unit, together ?

Thank You !!!

mike :unsure: