I have been contacted recentally in response to a parts wanted post I made from individuals in England

they have indicated that they have the parts I need and all i have to do is send them money via Western Union

needless to say that request sent up a red flag with me I was wondering if anyone out there had a similiar experience

Red flag for certain. This same scenario has been played out several times and most use wire services such as Western Union, Moneygram, etc. Once the funds are sent, there is usually no recourse for the payer. Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

As I am in England I recently checked out a name and address for a fellow AC restorer who had been offered parts. As the given address was just down the road from me I offered to drive down, pay cash and pick the parts up. Guess what? The seller was really busy all of a sudden and could not meet me in person.

It was yet anothere scam, luckily this time it was avoided.

But heres the thing. If you are offered Mack parts from anyone in Great Britain be very very wary, as they are very rare here in any event . And if you need anyone checking out - then contact me and I would be glad to do what I can to assist!

• Like 1

I don't think the sellers were BMT members but they must be monitoring various posts because they used my post title in their response to me

one said he was in Blackpool, England and he couldn't take paypal and when I asked for pictures he said his server couldn't handle them

finally he offered to ship the parts for 50% of the cost and trust me to send him the balance upon delivery today another individual emailed me

along the same lines without an address just a phone # said his name was Robert and addressed me as "Mate" for some reason they wanted my phone # hope that isn't part of another scam as I gave the first guy my number

Hemmings Motor News has a standard warning about these scams in every issue that they publish. The other scam involves purchasers of parts or vehicles. They send you a check for the full amount of the part or vehicle plus a little extra for shipping or loan payment. The person responding to the ad later asks to have any excess funds, or a full refund in the case of a part purchase refunded to him or a third party. The original check that is presented to the bank by the seller turns out to be non-negotiable or bogus. Some red flags to look for with these offers are:

(1) The inquiring party asks few (or no) questions about the vehicle or parts: i.e.-condition, equip, mileage, etc.

(2) You are immediately offered the full asking price or very close to it.

(3) A sense of urgency is conveyed in making the transaction as soon as possible.

Check with your bank to verify authenticity of such a check and NEVER offer your account info or routing number to these scammers.

John

Wow....This really caught my attention- Has anyone ever heard of "Clarkins Car Accessories" in London, England? He responded to a post I placed on here about a full-overhaul gasket set for a 140GZ Waukesha engine. When I asked about pictures, he gave me the same gibberish about his computer not being able to handle it. I havent sent him the money yet but I think I will definitely ask for a photo with a recent newspaper next to it......Just to see what happens.

Here is the website I was given.......An acquaintance who is a firefighter in London said the place is legit but this post really sent up flags.......... http://www.clarkins.co.uk/

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS