this month in pictures

gearhead204

I saw your hay wagon Gearhead and was reminded of some I saw in California's central  valley in the late eighties.They were mostly cabovers,Pete's,KW's and Freightliners.from the late fifties to the seventies all spotless and we'll maintained! Some were truck and trailer like yours, others were single axle with two flatbed " pups". I remembered thinking of them as class eight " street rods" Hay haulers in general seem to take great pride in their equipment. Looks like a sixties or early seventies Freightliner next to the autocar.

• Like 1

Speaking of spuds, any of you "Empire State" guys ever see the unloading platform Frito Lay has by the pilot t.s. on11 where you pull a whole rig on the platform and tie it down and it dumps the potatoes into a bin! Fascinating! In Binghamton N.Y.

never seen one for spuds, just belt bottoms but Tree Top had one for dumping "juice apples"  sounded like they only had a few wrecks,  one was a trailer and pup the dolly jackknifed and part of the lead trailer went over the side , the other was a driver left the truck running ......it wasn't when it came down!  

iGH 204,I wouldn't want to be in the thing when it's dumping! Have had a few bizarre unloading scenarios! Dropped a dry van in the Port of New Orleans with bales of cotton. They had a yard tractor with a dump hoist under the fifth wheel raised the 53 ft trailer till it was on its last axle was unloaded in two minutes! By far the strangest,I got to customer with a loaded 48' van looked really tight! Guy says "drop it here" Got  out from under it and the largest fork lift I've ever seen picks up a 48' trailer in the middle and disappears around the building!! Comes back in a half hour with an empty trailer!

• Like 1