Hi i was wondering if A51 was rare and what they are worth all i know is it has a gas motor in it and has been sitting in a barn since 1993 i think the orignal owner has it thanks for any help

An A-51 would have originally been a diesel engined truck with a Lanova combustion chamber design probably displacing 510 cubic inches but I'm no expert off the top of my head. This is based solely on what I've seen in the past and know to be original to a 1951 model year truck.

Depending upon overall condition the truck could be worth it's weight across the scales, or it could be worth $5000.00 to the right person. A model parts are getting quite difficult to acquire due to age and those that have them want an exhorbitant amount for them. The A model production run was from 1950 through mid 1953 so parts are getting increasingly scarce. Fortunately, the A models predecessor, (E models) shared many of the components and are more available but require rework for fitment.

My personal favorites are the A models. If you could post a photo many would enjoy it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

PICTURES! :dwave: We want pics!! Rob is correct about the rarity issue. The "50" series are the largest of the A's. They went 20, 30, 40, 50. There were sub units like H, S, T, but I don't think that a lightweight "L" was ever made. My truck is an A30H. I think the bus chassis may have had a "B" as the sub designation. As ever I may completely wrong as I am often told by my partner at work (female) and my wife :lol: . As with other Mack iron the even numbers are gas engine and the odds are diesel. An A51S would be as follows; A model, 50 series, diesel, six wheel. If it was a 51T it would be a diesel tractor. I don't know what the "H" designation stood for as I only speculate quietly as the other voices in my head become annoyed :tease: Let us know about this find and update as to options like tranny, rear-end, etc....... :D

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

• 5 weeks later...
Hi i was wondering if A51 was rare and what they are worth all i know is it has a gas motor in it and has been sitting in a barn since 1993 i think the orignal owner has it thanks for any help

the A51 was only equip with the lanova diesel. It was a problem motor for mack in the days. So a lot of them were pulled out and replaced with a gas engine. There was only one in exist that had the lanova in it the last time that I knew off and the reson I know my dad had it and was contacted by mack allentown when we required rods and mains for it. they where amazed that someone had one with a diesel init yet. They told us they found 3 A51 and we had the only one with a diesel.We was asked to donate are A51 to be shown at museum it would of been still his truck but would'nt be able to drive it when he want. Since that time dad sold the truck and I have no clue who bought it. He sold it in 93 or 94. Your truck might be worth 2000 to 5000 depending on what shape it in.

• 1 year later...

PICTURES! :dwave: We want pics!! Rob is correct about the rarity issue. The "50" series are the largest of the A's. They went 20, 30, 40, 50. There were sub units like H, S, T, but I don't think that a lightweight "L" was ever made. My truck is an A30H. I think the bus chassis may have had a "B" as the sub designation. As ever I may completely wrong as I am often told by my partner at work (female) and my wife :lol: . As with other Mack iron the even numbers are gas engine and the odds are diesel. An A51S would be as follows; A model, 50 series, diesel, six wheel. If it was a 51T it would be a diesel tractor. I don't know what the "H" designation stood for as I only speculate quietly as the other voices in my head become annoyed :tease: Let us know about this find and update as to options like tranny, rear-end, etc....... :D

I have got a 1951 a30 h in the restoration period right now do you know where i could get the lights on the top of the cab?