Turbo Swap

JerryB

Gentlemen I had a VGT turbo go out so I replaced it with a regular single speed Mack turbo now I have low boost pressure and weak engine. Is there anyway to correct this besides putting back on a VGT turbo?? According to the manufacturer the new turbo should produce at least the same amount or a little more boost as the old.

With no VGT position sensor (silver round thing on turbo) to hook-up, the engine ECU has no way to see the turbo vain position so it derates the engine, 4-5 code active . Dont know any way around this except to put the correct turbo on.

I would love to see a picture of this turbo!The mounting flange is a tad diffrent on vgt style turbo! Doubt it would even fit.If you have a waste gated turbo and you have replaced it with a standard turbo the result is the same if the engine sees any more than 33 psi boost it will derate!In this case you (MAY) be able to remove the sensor from the manifold and plug the hole and install the boost sensor in a plastic bag on the fire wall so the puter never sees the boost! down side is your boost gauge wont work!Put in a real gauge ;)

I would love to see a picture of this turbo!The mounting flange is a tad diffrent on vgt style turbo! Doubt it would even fit.If you have a waste gated turbo and you have replaced it with a standard turbo the result is the same if the engine sees any more than 33 psi boost it will derate!In this case you (MAY) be able to remove the sensor from the manifold and plug the hole and install the boost sensor in a plastic bag on the fire wall so the puter never sees the boost! down side is your boost gauge wont work!Put in a real gauge ;)

I would love to see a picture of this turbo!The mounting flange is a tad diffrent on vgt style turbo! Doubt it would even fit. I'd like to see that as well. I forgot the VGT turbo had a very different bolt pattern.

I would love to see a picture of this turbo!The mounting flange is a tad different on vgt style turbo! Doubt it would even fit.If you have a waste gated turbo and you have replaced it with a standard turbo the result is the same if the engine sees any more than 33 psi boost it will derate!In this case you (MAY) be able to remove the sensor from the manifold and plug the hole and install the boost sensor in a plastic bag on the fire wall so the puter never sees the boost! down side is your boost gauge wont work!Put in a real gauge ;)

The turbo does mount differently and I forgot to mention we used a different exhaust manifold. At the local parts store I get the traditional turbo for $595 but for the VGT they asked me $2875 and Mack wanted $3850 so please excuse me for suffering from sticker shock.

When I can find the boost sensor I'll try removing it like you suggested before I spend the big bucks for the vgt and do all the work of switching it back again. Thanks guys I do appreciate any and all advice.

The turbo does mount differently and I forgot to mention we used a different exhaust manifold. At the local parts store I get the traditional turbo for $595 but for the VGT they asked me $2875 and Mack wanted $3850 so please excuse me for suffering from sticker shock.

When I can find the boost sensor I'll try removing it like you suggested before I spend the big bucks for the vgt and do all the work of switching it back again. Thanks guys I do appreciate any and all advice.

NO Bro you need to buy the right turbo ,the boost sensor idea was aimed at the wastgated turbo,You thru me a curve ball with the turbo bolting to the manifold thing, the vgt turbo is a total diffrent ballgame It needs the acuator control signals and wheel speed sensory in puts to know where to position the vains or the puter will pull in the leash Just the way it is.

You cant fight city hall.pop the 3000 or 5000 on the turbo while your at it there is an update for the exhast studs and gaskets that just may work this time replace the exhast gaskets and fuel lines and start over When you replace the turbo it needs to get calibrated as well!There are places rebuilding these turbos now as well for a fair dollar less Than the dealers sell mack ones.

The only way to make what your tring to do work is to rip all the rubbish of the engine convert it to the older style engine wireing and computer the whole nine yards!

Don't waste money on the impossible!

NO Bro you need to buy the right turbo ,the boost sensor idea was aimed at the wastegated turbo,You thru me a curve ball with the turbo bolting to the manifold thing, the vgt turbo is a total diffrent ballgame It needs the actuator control signals and wheel speed sensory in puts to know where to position the vains or the puter will pull in the leash Just the way it is.

You cant fight city hall.pop the 3000 or 5000 on the turbo while your at it there is an update for the exhaust studs and gaskets that just may work this time replace the exhast gaskets and fuel lines and start over When you replace the turbo it needs to get calibrated as well!There are places rebuilding these turbos now as well for a fair dollar less Than the dealers sell mack ones.

The only way to make what your tring to do work is to rip all the rubbish of the engine convert it to the older style engine wireing and computer the whole nine yards!

Don't waste money on the impossible!

Thanks fjh. I'll get the right one Monday and I appreciate your response. Jerry

Thanks fjh. I'll get the right one Monday and I appreciate your response. Jerry

Good man ,Remember , if it dont run a good as it did before you may have to have the turbo recalibrated by the dealer ,Also talk nice to that guy that your buying the parts from and he may be able to pull some strings in the service dept to help ya along with that part of it!It takes 5 to ten minutes to do and the engine needs to be warmed up to at least 160 deg!

The puter needs to measure the stroke of the new turbo to be able to adjust the vanes to the right angle to run correctly.

• 6 years later...