Shock Dampeners

Has anyone ever had one of the B model front axle hydraulic shock dampeners apart?

I'm tempted to try rebuilding the ones on my B-67. One of them feels pretty raspy,

and the other one is just flopping up and down. The raspy one bent the connecting rod

before I took the truck apart, so I'm pretty sure it's not right.

I've got new connecting rod assemblies made up, but reluctant to install them unless

I know that the shock units are OK.

I don't find blow-ups or descriptions of these in my B model Mack Service Manual.

Is there a rebuild kit? Or is it better just to find some good original ones? Or could we

fab up tube type shock mounts and be done with the problem?

Thanks,

Paul Van Scott

I need to repeat my request - Hasn't anyone ever taken one of these apart?

And has anyone built brackets and installed tube type shocks on a B model front axle?

Thanks,

Paul VS

Hi Paul, I've never taken one of those apart but have built up brackets and mounted hydraulic shocks to them in the past. Each time I've used a heavy duty Monroe brand shock absorber and the operators always stated the truck rode better than it did originally.

I've made a plate with a drop leg on it for a lower mounting stud to bolt through. The top just used a standard shock mounting bolt that was bolted through the frame and backed up with a thick flat washer on the inside. The plate was retained to the axle by two "U" bolts that are bent by a truck suspension supplier.

I plan to do the same with my current trucks.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I need to repeat my request - Hasn't anyone ever taken one of these apart?

And has anyone built brackets and installed tube type shocks on a B model front axle?

Thanks,

Paul VS

I cant say that i have had them apart but have seen inside of them and they are a friction plate with a adjustable tenson screw to add pressure to the friction plates. They do take a fluid and it is not motor oil. I found some fluid on the web and here is the site. http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/3255

glenn akers

Ah.....what a co-ink-a-dence.............. :huh:

Mine thru a rod last fall and I just got around to finally getting it all fixed up again. We'll see.

I had one that was tight, the other was okay. I got my manual out and it called for some crazy no name fluid to be used. not much of an answer. I pulled the plugs and dropped some power steering fluid in(only took a few drops actually). I figured it needs to be a fine fluid, so stayed away from thick stuff. One works fine, the other is still stiff, though it does move. I made my own rods from 1/2"-20 grade 5 all thread and 1/2" heim ends since I couldnt find any replacement arms/ends. I got it all back together last Saturday, but haven't taken any pics(will soon).

Hopefully it won't bend the rod on one side like it did? Time will tell. I looked at the unit pretty hard trying to figure out how it all came apart. No good. Seems the one version I have seen used on old T buckets were just rubber pads compressed among flat plates(no fluid needed). I think those were "friction shocks".

Synders place is a top notch outfit, been there a few times as it's about an hour from me. They do high end resto work on alot of different stuff(for themselves only). They have a nice collection of Ford Thunderbolts(like 6 of them, the first and last one made), plus other lightweight stuff and unusual factory builds.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Thanks guys,

Larry, I made new rods too. Made from "U-bolt" stock and just threaded the ends like the originals.

Matt Pfahl had some NOS ends, so I bought what I needed from him. Then I realized that taking apart

the friction units might not be too smart without some advice.

I'll try one and report back now that I may not really need them.

I like Rob's idea, and I'm going to try it on this truck. It looks like the axle mount for the original shock rod

might work for the lower telescoping shock mounting without much modification. Although to use it - I may

need to build a bracket that holds the shock away from the frame by a couple of inches. I'm going into the

shop this afternoon to study the R-600 axle. It has tube type shocks from the factory, and it uses a top bracket.

With the new king pins, springs, radial tires, air ride rear and new front shocks, this truck should drive pretty well.

I might just quit driving cars!! (and I might have to - if I keep dumping money into the truck!)

Paul VS

I called Matt early in the winter and he was out of ends. My uppers are completely shot and won't stay together anymore. That's the reason I converted to regular heim ends. Should be better then nothing as long as the pass. damper does move and don't kink the rod. A road trip in couple weeks will let me know.

I too thought of regular shocks and might end up going that route. Time will tell.

Larry

Larry,

It looks like the early R model front axle has just the right brackets for

mounting tube type shocks on the B model.

I'll know in a few days. If it works, it will be a pretty easy fix with parts

available pretty readily.

I'll keep you posted.

Paul VS

The bolt pattern for the bolts is the same on the lighter steer axles on the B and early R models. I've done that too but those brackets are getting scarce. I think that 73 and newer started with a physically larger steering axle across the R model line.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks, I'll be happy to know there is a simple switch over. If the upper bracket isn't available...I'll make it! Have steel, have welder, will travel!!

I know my B has the heavy axle under it, though never actually found the numbers on it.

Larry