Superliner Transmission

LTLRAY

To my knowledge Mack has never produced a synchromesh transmission for use in a class 8 truck. Some of the Midliners (Renault) were synchromesh but thats a whole different thing. The 9, 13, & 18 spds have a range shift synchronizer that prevents clashing when making a range shift, but all of the shifts made with the shift lever are unsynchronized. Pretty much the same with the Eaton Fuller 9, 13, & 18's also. Some Volvo made trans. are synchro, & I've also been told that in Europe the big trucks are all synchro.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I think your right HK trucking

besides the range selctor transmissions i.e T200 sieres that had the syncro pack for the range selection. I dont know of a synchromesh trans that is MACK mfg. alot of the trucks mfgs made over seas do have car transmissions i.e syncromesh ....LOL

I think your right HK trucking

besides the range selctor transmissions i.e T200 sieres that had the syncro pack for the range selection. I dont know of a synchromesh trans that is MACK mfg. alot of the trucks mfgs made over seas do have car transmissions i.e syncromesh ....LOL

Ok, let me see if I have this right.

Synchromesh means that each gear has a synchronizer that brings the countershaft up to speed before the dog teeth engage the gear right?

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I see a "Train" wreck in the works!!!

A syncro might be great for the driver, but sure is gonna be hell on the truck!!!

Imput shafts, clutch, engine, axles, drive lines - - - the list goes on!!!

You cobble a gear and something is going to come apart, and right NOW!!!

Better stick with what you got or get an automatic!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

I see a "Train" wreck in the works!!!

A syncro might be great for the driver, but sure is gonna be hell on the truck!!!

Imput shafts, clutch, engine, axles, drive lines - - - the list goes on!!!

You cobble a gear and something is going to come apart, and right NOW!!!

Better stick with what you got or get an automatic!

Packer

Speakin of that, I had a scary :( experience the other day with our new truck driver. This guy just came off the road for Swift, and had never seen a dump truck, much less a Mack. I made a few loads drivin and showin him about the PTO and hoist controls, assuming he knew how to shift the dang truck. When I let the fool get in the seat, he did fine until it was time to downshift. He was in 4th gear, rolling about 15 or 20 mph up to a stop sign when he clutched it and proceeded to jam the T2090 in to first gear. I imagine there is a tooth or two floating around in the transmission right now. What do these people have to do to go through the training process of major trucking companies? If the rest of the new drivers are like this, I can see why synchronized transmissions are not used.

Jake

Speakin of that, I had a scary :( experience the other day with our new truck driver. This guy just came off the road for Swift, and had never seen a dump truck, much less a Mack. I made a few loads drivin and showin him about the PTO and hoist controls, assuming he knew how to shift the dang truck. When I let the fool get in the seat, he did fine until it was time to downshift. He was in 4th gear, rolling about 15 or 20 mph up to a stop sign when he clutched it and proceeded to jam the T2090 in to first gear. I imagine there is a tooth or two floating around in the transmission right now. What do these people have to do to go through the training process of major trucking companies? If the rest of the new drivers are like this, I can see why synchronized transmissions are not used.

This is why autos are becoming so popular, inspite of the cost.

Thats why so many are turning to automatics.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

one thing I have noticed with drivers is that if they have not driven a mack before, is they will have difficult time learning how to shift the gear box . When I was working full time driving dump trucks I had to give a few new guys that were 10 + years older than me a road test in a R model. With the 5 speeds, they could never get the timing right and were depressing the clutch all the way untill the clutch break was causing them more issues. It also seams as if the new breed of drivers all come from some large OTR out fit i.e swith.jb etc..and when they found that the life of the OTR was not what its cracked up to be they look for local jobs. these are the worst type to get as they likely took a test with an automatic truck to get there CDL then sent directly to a throw away garbage freightliner where they "learned" to just bang the gears into position and not wait for the rpms to drop.

at my current job we have 6 truck drivers and I can honestly say that only 3 of them, including myself, know how the trucks drive train functions. most cant even figure how to "pre select" gear with the splitter... I could go on and on about new drivers stories but its something we all have heard before.

When my family owned our excavating business untill last year we never hired anyone that drove strictly otr & didnt have experience w/ a mixer or lowboy or dump if they didnt have the experience they didnt get hired cause we didnt have the time to train them .

had a friend hire a otr driver from swift 1 time to drive 1 of his dumps the 1 st day 3 hours after they turned dude loose on his own (mistake) he tore the dang driveshaft u joints & broke ring & pinon gear in the truck had to pull truck back to shop loaded w/ 24 tons on red fill sand needless to say he didnt work there after that & the guy looked @ me (friend) & said ya told me so huh ? i looked @ him said yup now lest go to work on your truck

I WAS STICTLY AROUND A :mack1: for so long i thought 2 sticks were standard & air shift was optional in ALL TRUCKS :rolleyes::lol:

yall have a goodone B)

Bulldog

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

The military has switched to automatic transmissions in their tactical vehicles because many of today's kids can't manipulate a manual transmission, let alone a non-synchronized one. They ain't coming off the farm anymore.......

At the Postal Service among about 100 CDL drivers at our location were a couple who'd never driven a stick shift- they came to work for the Postal Serrice straight from the military where they drove automatics. Combine that with all the city driving we do and it's no wonder they went to automatics!

:SMOKIE-LFT::mack1: oke guys all class 8 trucks in europe have syncromesh transmission also all other trucks this is so for years and we have almost never problems with the transmissions now you see more and more automatic transmissions the young guys dont now how to use the american transmissions only the guys how drive with the macks and other american trucks now how to handle the gearbox when you are ever on holyday you must try one and feel the differents :mack1::SMOKIE-RT:

• 2 weeks later...

its amazing how hard it is to find drivers these days. Automatics arent the answer in most dump and mixer applications. There are alot of local guys here in central nj buying automatics in new tri axle and tandem dumps. They thought it would be easier to find drivers. Now their problem is that they take a guy for a road test and he can drive the truck, but the guy doesnt know how to handle a loaded tandem. the new trucks with automatics are really fast and these guys hammer down and have been turning the trucks over and not being able to stop due to cowboy driving and inexperience. so what my thought is if you cant handle a 6 speed, an 8LL, or a ten speed than you shouldnt be driving the truck! just my 2cents

thats the whole issue....make a truck simple and easy to drive and anyone can turn the steering wheel..including the speed racer type. I like to hammer down out on the big roads away from traffic. but I find myself relaxed in the city around traffic and stop lights. Hell, most of the time I just play the stop lights and pass that 600 hp pete at every green light LOL ... I love it when you are slowing down for a red light and you can hear the turbo spool of that big HP truck coming up the left side. he cuts in front of you, and still speeds to the red light. I change lanes and pass him as hes starting from 1st (or 5th lol )again.. its like clock work same style of driving but diffrent truck every light.. :P

IVE Been around dumptrucks all my life but In my case although i can drive the 2 sticks & airshift manual trannys but w/ my Lite case of Ceveral palsy (c.p. it slows me down but it dont stop me ;):thumb: ) in my left hand & leg & foot it would be easier fer me to drive a dumpbucket w/ a 6spd Allison when my left hand & fingers try to lock up almost come cold weather /winter time my left hand has a mind of its own :wacko: so i might an exception

1 Things for sure a lot less driveline & driveshaft problems (no burning out clutchs & wringing driveshafts )

But dont want the new truck payments :rolleyes:

Will stick w/ the manual trannys fer now :D

Just my 2 cents & yall have a goodone B)

Mack

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

thats the whole issue....make a truck simple and easy to drive and anyone can turn the steering wheel..including the speed racer type. I like to hammer down out on the big roads away from traffic. but I find myself relaxed in the city around traffic and stop lights. Hell, most of the time I just play the stop lights and pass that 600 hp pete at every green light LOL ... I love it when you are slowing down for a red light and you can hear the turbo spool of that big HP truck coming up the left side. he cuts in front of you, and still speeds to the red light. I change lanes and pass him as hes starting from 1st (or 5th lol )again.. its like clock work same style of driving but diffrent truck every light.. :P

Lmack,,,,,,I like your style :thumb:

Something that really scares the crap out of me around here - the farm boys. They're driving dad's new Sterling or Western Star, or binder, with a Cummins under the hood, and an empty grain trailer on behind. Weaving in and out of traffic on a two lane road, trying to pass everyone who is running 5 or 10 mile above the speed limit. And then when they get into their first emergency situation they find out they can't stop on a dime, or a half dollar or a string of dollar bills, and somebody gets hurt. :angry: