Camshaft Failure On A Etech470

kelmack

i am having a camshaft repaced in a ch 2001 after reading a few posts i was just wondering if mack was coming to the party in replacing them as it sounds like a common problem the motor is a etech470 mack estimate $8000 for the job

KELMACK I HAD A CAM PUT INTO MY 01 CX-613 VISION ALSO BACK IN 07. They told me I need to have an overhead run every 100,000 miles however alot of others on here recommend every 50,000. It cost me 6400.00 for the cam bearing kit, new bolts in the exhaust manifold and to have the heads pressure checked and have all the freeze plugs replaced. Warnig make sure they DO NOT REUSE THE BOLTS FOR THE HARMONIC BALANCER/MAIN CRANK PULLEY. A week after I got the truck back the harmonic balancer broke all the bolts and fell off. Now the dealer paid to have me towed and for all parts and labor....GOD BLESS MACK TRUCKS AND NEXTRANS of Birmingham, AL. . However it shouldn't have been necessary.By the way double check that they tighten every thing back and didn't leave any bolts out . I had one bolt missing on an A/C bracket and the air cleaner mount was loose as well as 2 or 3 hose clamps. Good luck. :SMOKIE-LFT:

P.S. my truck has a 427 E-TECH ECONODYNE.

• Like 1

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

KELMACK I HAD A CAM PUT INTO MY 01 CX-613 VISION ALSO BACK IN 07. They told me I need to have an overhead run every 100,000 miles however alot of others on here recommend every 50,000. It cost me 6400.00 for the cam bearing kit, new bolts in the exhaust manifold and to have the heads pressure checked and have all the freeze plugs replaced. Warnig make sure they DO NOT REUSE THE BOLTS FOR THE HARMONIC BALANCER/MAIN CRANK PULLEY. A week after I got the truck back the harmonic balancer broke all the bolts and fell off. Now the dealer paid to have me towed and for all parts and labor....GOD BLESS MACK TRUCKS AND NEXTRANS of Birmingham, AL. . However it shouldn't have been necessary.By the way double check that they tighten every thing back and didn't leave any bolts out . I had one bolt missing on an A/C bracket and the air cleaner mount was loose as well as 2 or 3 hose clamps. Good luck. :SMOKIE-LFT:

I WOULD SUGGEST PUTTING A NEW BALANCER ON THE TRUCK THEY ARE NOT THAT HIGH THEY ARE ONLY GOOD FOR ABOUT 500,000 THE SHOP MAN WILL TELL YOU HES NEVER HEARD OF SUCH THING BUT YOU WILL NOTICE A DIFFERNCE IN THE SMOOTHNESS OF THE ENGINE AND IT WONT BE AS HARD ON YOUR CLUTH

I WOULD SUGGEST PUTTING A NEW BALANCER ON THE TRUCK THEY ARE NOT THAT HIGH THEY ARE ONLY GOOD FOR ABOUT 500,000 THE SHOP MAN WILL TELL YOU HES NEVER HEARD OF SUCH THING BUT YOU WILL NOTICE A DIFFERNCE IN THE SMOOTHNESS OF THE ENGINE AND IT WONT BE AS HARD ON YOUR CLUTH

Are the harmonic balancers on these engines a silicone filled type, or just rubber internally? I ask because Detroit Diesel 12V engines have a silicone filled balancer that requires testing/replacement at overhaul time for the same basic reasons you mention.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

A Big +1 on that. A new damper will help to keep 3-4 and 3-2 timing fault codes from happening. The newer dampers are also bigger in diameter and will fit all ETECHS style engines 1999 and up.

The torque on thoses damper bolts are only 45 lbs. Most techs just stick an impact gun on them and over torque them and then they fail. We have done it here more than once. Now everyone here knows the correct torque.

The torque on thoses damper bolts are only 45 lbs. Most techs just stick an impact gun on them and over torque them and then they fail. We have done it here more than once. Now everyone here knows the correct torque.

Thanx MACKPRO68 Like I said they stood behind their warranty and behind MACK's reputation. That made me a customer for life. :SMOKIE-LFT:

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

i picked up my truck today you guys were spot on about the balancer they say they have never heard of it before

the truck was finished when i rang so i will do it myself

you were also right about loose things

a bolt missing of a cover plate on motor

exhaust clamp on turbo not done up

horton fan air line not connected

and charged me extra $3300 to fix a few broken bolts in radiator

other than that it seems to be good