Air Tanks And Brackets

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for posting the pictures, as for the time frame, you did just fine. I cannot understand why two tanks are on your truck unless it was a dump or a mixer. Do you know?

mike

Mike, most had two tanks. One the compressor discharged into, (wet tank) and another downsteam, (usually at the rear) that the supplied main air for the brakes.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Most trucks have 3 tanks. The wet tank, the primary, and the secondary. That's why you have 2 gauges (or 2 dials on one guage) Some times 2 tanks are combined and it may look like only one.

Hi David, you are correct on modern trucks but in the reign of the B model Mack, two tanks were very common as built. I've seen some older trucks with three tanks, but they were not built that way new, but were modified/added to by owner/operators.

I can't remember which FMVSS mandated a split system for primary, and secondary and had the red, and green needle gauges for indication of pressure(s), but it was in the mid to late 1970's.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi David, you are correct on modern trucks but in the reign of the B model Mack, two tanks were very common as built. I've seen some older trucks with three tanks, but they were not built that way new, but were modified/added to by owner/operators.

I can't remember which FMVSS mandated a split system for primary, and secondary and had the red, and green needle gauges for indication of pressure(s), but it was in the mid to late 1970's.

Rob

That's how all of mine are built. The oldest is a '73.

Rob,

From all indication my truck has one tank across the back between L & R frame rails. I have not found any other tank, so I assume the one tank has two sides. Is their a way to find out?

Thanks

mike :mack1:

Most had the wet tank on the passenger side frame rail just rearward of the fuel tank. Most, that is that I've seen. My 58 B-61 has both tanks on the driver's side frame rail just rearward of the fuel tank. My truck was a winch truck driven from the rt. side of the transmission though so the tank was probably relocated. My 64 B-61 has a wet tank on the passenger rail mentioned earlier, and a tank across the back of the frame much as you mention.

I doubt you have a split tank unless someone has installed it later. The wet tan probably rusted out through the years, and was by-passed.

Rob

I was surprised not to find one between the frame at the very end of the truck. Iam not sure of the origin of this truck as I haven"t contacted the Mack Museum about it.From the serial it appears to have been built as a single axle tractor, but there is some welding that has been done on the frame and reinforcement. There is very little rust and Iam thinking that it set a great while because the engine is not original or the transmission :chili:

MY R model RST611 had or still has one tank. I think all the early B's and R's up to about 1975 here in OZ had only one tank. If you look at one of the photos you will see a ring of weld if you look real hard at most early tanks you can see a feint weld around the tank.

They nearly all have a baffle or divider in them with a small hole at the top. That was a crude type of wet tank. Thats why most of them have 2 drain taps. My thoughts Mark

My 1960 B61 T has only 1 tank, across the back of the chassis, it is the full width of the chassis . It only has 1 inlet, 1 drain. My 73/74 R 600 has 1 long tank under the frame rail, it is a split tank, it has an external pipe to feed from front to rear section, you can see where the internal divider is, it has 2 drains, then across the back of the chassis is the small reserve air tank for release of the park brakes. jeffro

When I first bought the Flintstone home. It came from Tamworth. I drained the air tank, Left the tap opened nothing mutch came out

so i left a 2 gallon bucket under it for the nite Went to work. Came home next day and there was a twelve foot oil slick down the driveway. bucket full. Trouble was it was in mums driveway. Still have the broom marks on my head to prove it.

Years later Had to take the tank off or move it. Undone all the ail lines ect undone the brackets and the bloody thing

dropped down on my chest winding me. I could not work out why it was so heavy, when i picked one end up i got covered in oil

I drained 7 litres of oil out of it. I worked out pretty quick that it had 2 compartments. Thats why now it has 2 drain taps. Things you learn.

Mark