Engine Stuck

DWaits

Well I got everything hooked up on the ENF510A and tried to get it started yesterday, I turned it over twice using the hand crank then hooked up the batterys. It turned over maybe twice and then it stuck!

I will try today to get out (30 degrees and 30MPH wind with light snow in GA) and pull the plugs to fill the cylinders with Marvel, other than that what else can I do?

Would the cold temps have anything to do with it?

I have not tried to turn it backwards, should I wait till I fill the cylinders?

Any tips on getting the Marvel into the cylinders?

Thanks,

DW

1948 Mack Pumper

Put the Marvel or any good penetrating oil in the plug holes, let it sit overnight, then jack up 1 rear wheel, put the transmission in it's highest gear, and rock the jacked-up wheel.

After reading your post again, could the starter be stuck in the engaged position due to low voltage while trying to crank it ?

Dave sounds like you are in the same boat as me.. I have all new starting equipment on the END711 and it wont crank more than 2-3 revs before it quits.. I added some ATF in the individual intake runners and hope that it will make its way into the cyl to lousen them up.. Im going to wait until it gets warm again try to pull start her..

let us know if you make progress..

I feel your pain!!! :(

Trent

hi,

I would suspect that scence it turned over the few times that it did that the engine is not stuck at the cylinders. I would check to see if one of the valves are stuck down and piston is hitting it. or the starter is stuck in the flywheel. I would pull a valve cover and check the valves, just for safety. I have had more valves sticking in the guides more now than ever. I have had to Farmalls do the same thing. I think its the cheap quality fuels that we have now turn to varnish faster.

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

this will sound stupid but it happened to me twice. the mice built a nest in the bell housing and the nest got jammed between the flywheel and starter gear and you could not turn that engine over. check your bellhousing for varmits and soak hell out of those cylinders with marvel. that has loosened many a motor. good luck. j.j.

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

Thanks for the replys,

It is way to cold here to get anything done for the next few days but, they say it will be in the 60's by the weekend.

I am going to put the marvel oil in the cylinders after work today, let it sit for a few days and then when it is warmer start looking for the problem. The engine has OHV's so they will be easy to check, I am thinking that it

it may be the starter, also easy to check.

DW

1948 Mack Pumper

dave after the engine has soaked for a few days you should be able to turn it over by hand with the plugs out. after you turn it a few times by hand turn it with the starter(if it will)with the plugs out. she'll spit out the marvel from the cylinders so be careful.and it'll smoke like hell when it starts but you'll know the cylinders have lubrication. j.j.

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"

• 2 months later...

dave after the engine has soaked for a few days you should be able to turn it over by hand with the plugs out. after you turn it a few times by hand turn it with the starter(if it will)with the plugs out. she'll spit out the marvel from the cylinders so be careful.and it'll smoke like hell when it starts but you'll know the cylinders have lubrication. j.j.

Whenever I have that problem I remove the plugs(injecters on most diesels)and spray PB Blast(best penetrating oil I've ever used, it fixes leaky toilets too!)into the cylinders,let that set for a while and then add some Marvel Mystery Oil(another product I swear by).Since you've probably gone as far as you can go in one direction, it would probabably be wise to go in the opposite direction. I use a good size breaker bar with a socket on the damper bolt(most bolts are grade 8 or better, so you don't have to worry much about breaking it) or a pry bar on the teeth of the flywheel(you might have to remove the starter to get at it which will give you a chance to inspect and bench test it). Just remember patience is the key. Go as far as you can go one way, then change and go back, adding more PB and Marvel as you go. Once you get it to turn freely use the starter to spin the motor and clear the cylinders of excess oil(while the plugs or injecters are still removed). Another problem that can cause that situation is hydrolock, which is when the cylinders fill with water, either from a bad head gasket, a crack or water entering the intake. If thats the problem you'll know as soon as you pull the plugs.Good luck, Tombstone.

Whenever I have that problem I remove the plugs(injecters on most diesels)and spray PB Blast(best penetrating oil I've ever used, it fixes leaky toilets too!)into the cylinders,let that set for a while and then add some Marvel Mystery Oil(another product I swear by).Since you've probably gone as far as you can go in one direction, it would probabably be wise to go in the opposite direction. I use a good size breaker bar with a socket on the damper bolt(most bolts are grade 8 or better, so you don't have to worry much about breaking it) or a pry bar on the teeth of the flywheel(you might have to remove the starter to get at it which will give you a chance to inspect and bench test it). Just remember patience is the key. Go as far as you can go one way, then change and go back, adding more PB and Marvel as you go. Once you get it to turn freely use the starter to spin the motor and clear the cylinders of excess oil(while the plugs or injecters are still removed). Another problem that can cause that situation is hydrolock, which is when the cylinders fill with water, either from a bad head gasket, a crack or water entering the intake. If thats the problem you'll know as soon as you pull the plugs.Good luck, Tombstone.P.S- A small funnel with a piece of 1/4" fuel line on the end will get the Marvel in, and the PB Blast comes with a straw that fits in the spray nozzle.