Help With A Driveline Vibration.

chris142

Don't start that again, Tom is still looking for the missing dollar.

Not tonight, he is facing snow in Kansas. Just got off the phone with him.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I got that from listen to them guys on large car last week. There is thia 14 year old boy on there that they give him more shisk than any one but i guess he enjoys it.But he told some guy the other night to go to his room and play with his self..

I'm too cheap to pay for cable tv so I don't see any of the shows commonly mentioned.

The choice is easy for me, no cable = more Mack parts.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Well anyways, another left turn has derailed a purrfectly good thread......

My 'ol CH with mack rears had a ton of play in the jackshaft splines (easy Rob) and it would really vibrate at 45-50 MPH. I replaced the shaft and it took care of the problem. funny thing was, it was the last thing I checked because I didn't think something so short could vibrate that bad......DOH!!!!!!! I know those vibrations at speed can drive you nuts!!!!! I've already had the wife drive the truck around the terminal while I was hanging off the deckplate to see if I could hear something. I did find a bad pinion bearing that way!!!!!!!!

My 'ol dog has a bite worse than it's bark!!!!!!!!

Ummmmm....Is this the number I dialed????????

I prefer to have my dinners cooked by natural sunlight. Of course raw is not that bad neither if the asphalt is cleaned out.

Rob

Comeon Rob, asphalt give roughage and crunchy is good!!!!!!!! :blink:

My 'ol dog has a bite worse than it's bark!!!!!!!!

Ummmmm....Is this the number I dialed????????

Funny, I checked because I didn't think something so short could vibrate that bad.

WTF?????? Short shaft with severe vibration problems? Be grateful for the big stopper on the end there cause your hand cold slip off otherwise. Need things to tighten up, vibrate a little faster, (breathing harder ensures plenty of oxygen exchange also).

See, ole' Rob can solve your problems at a moments notice.

I sure hope Underdog continues to further his knowledge base through this level of "higher education".

Rob

Comeon Rob, asphalt give roughage and crunchy is good!!!!!!!! :blink:

Yes I agree good southern fried asphalt is a delicacy in these parts, but I only have three teeth, so it is a little difficult to chew.

Rob

WTF?????? Short shaft with severe vibration problems? Be grateful for the big stopper on the end there cause your hand cold slip off otherwise. Need things to tighten up, vibrate a little faster, (breathing harder ensures plenty of oxygen exchange also).

See, ole' Rob can solve your problems at a moments notice.

I sure hope Underdog continues to further his knowledge base through this level of "higher education".

Rob

I have thus far avoided this conversation in an effort to maintain my "higher standard"

I have thus far avoided this conversation in an effort to maintain my "higher standard"

I am the self proclaimed leader of the moral degradation of American society as can be ascertained by interpolation of the given factors.

I had no idea "higher standards" would apply to this subject; Why join the conversation now?

Rob

Help With A Driveline Vibration.

...... it has a huge amount of slop. I can turn it on the trans end 1/6 of a turn or so before the slop in the splines catches up and then it tries to turn the pinon gear.

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And be careful with all that hammering trying to get the U joint cups out of the yokes, the yoke or the shaft could get distorted and cause a whole new vibration problem.

If the cups are jammed in there that bad, I cut the "cross" part of the joint out with a torch, and then carefully cut a hole thru each cup with the torch, cutting toward the edge of the cup until the cut just starts to burn thru the edge of the cup where it meets the yoke. Once the cup is "sliced" like that, the tension is removed and the cup will shrink as it cools and it will come out without beating the shit out of anything.

Best to do this outside, with a fire extinguisher handy, and be sure to wear welding gloves, a full face shield, and long sleeves, as you will have a grease fire when cutting the joint out with the torch.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Prior to receiving my "Tiger Tool" pullers for this operation I did as someone suggested with the bottle jack on the end yoke, applying upward pressure. I would use a torch to lightly warm the yoke to expand it ever so slightly. They would usually pop free from the upward pressure of the jack without hammering. Myself, I've never had to cut the cross to get them apart. I don't work on trucks professionally, and am no authority in this matter.

When the joint is removed and parts cleaned up, I would use an outside micrometer, or slide caliper and check the ears on the yoke to ensure it is not spread. From memory; A 1710 series joint will have 6.093 outer distance from ear to ear. If the measurement is more that about .015 from that, replace the yoke or your replacement joints will not last.

You do not need enough heat to destroy the front oil seal in the rear axle carrier.

Rob

Prior to receiving my "Tiger Tool" pullers for this operation I did as someone suggested with the bottle jack on the end yoke, applying upward pressure. I would use a torch to lightly warm the yoke to expand it ever so slightly. They would usually pop free from the upward pressure of the jack without hammering. Myself, I've never had to cut the cross to get them apart. I don't work on trucks professionally, and am no authority in this matter.

When the joint is removed and parts cleaned up, I would use an outside micrometer, or slide caliper and check the ears on the yoke to ensure it is not spread. From memory; A 1710 series joint will have 6.093 outer distance from ear to ear. If the measurement is more that about .015 from that, replace the yoke or your replacement joints will not last.

You do not need enough heat to destroy the front oil seal in the rear axle carrier.

Rob

Hi Rob.

That's what I'm referring to, the ones that the puller won't even move.

I am the self proclaimed leader of the moral degradation of American society as can be ascertained by interpolation of the given factors.

I had no idea "higher standards" would apply to this subject; Why join the conversation now?

Rob

I thought I had something worthwhile to contribute, but my brain is now on overload from all the $5 words. Thank you, Dear Leader. :wacko:

Hi Rob.

That's what I'm referring to, the ones that the puller won't even move.

Hi Herb, I just read your post again, sorry if I seemed to "step" on your idea conveyance as to distorting the yokes from hammer impact. I tend to think only in a straight line of progression and have blinders for all else when engrossed in thought. Certainly do agree with you and have seen stuck universals taken out as you detail several times, just not by myself.

If you have never used one of these "Tiger Tools" u-joint pullers it really would be worth the purchase, or demo. I had the tool with cables attached, and it was not near as easy, safe, or fast to use. My 1/2" impact has no problem breaking the most stubborn joint loose, (so far).

I also have the cap installer for reassembling the joint. I have found that you need to pack the needle bearings in the caps with grease before hitting them with the impact wrench. I only had to pick the needle rollers off the floor once to learn that lesson!

Sure hope Chris gets his problem fixxed. Damn frustrating to lay in a driveway with improvised tools trying to accomplish something like this.

Rob

I thought I had something worthwhile to contribute, but my brain is now on overload from all the $5 words. Thank you, Dear Leader. :wacko:

Five dollar words? From me? I'm someone who failed english composition class three semesters, but kept on to graduate high school at 24 years of age, (this is true). Naw, I'm not overly smart, nor stupid, just determined. I didn't have parents so I charted my own path of progression.

To be overloaded is defeat. Don't be that way.

I think all contributions are valuable. Please continue to come forth when you have knowledge or ideas as we all benefit.

Rob

Sure hope Chris gets his problem fixxed. Damn frustrating to lay in a driveway with improvised tools trying to accomplish something like this.

I gave up. I got the slip yoke apart and was going to slide it onto my old shaft to see if that helped any but the spline count is much different. The driveshaft and 1 U-Joint are still stuck to the rear end of the truck.

I gave up. I got the slip yoke apart and was going to slide it onto my old shaft to see if that helped any but the spline count is much different. The driveshaft and 1 U-Joint are still stuck to the rear end of the truck.

Give up???? WTF is that? The problem still exists and will not go away by looking at it. There is a solution at hand and many have given good advice to get you through the problem.

Implement any one of the proposals and your problem will be history.

Rob

This is one of those times when I wish that truck was here in my area so I could help you by getting that joint apart.

What the hell, I work on Internationals every day at my job, I guess It wouldn't kill me to work on a Peterbilt. :lol:

But seriously Chris, don't give up on it over something relatively minor such as that.

Well the driveshaft was the straw that broke the camels back. I originally bought the truck to put it to work. Fixed things as I could afford to. Last winter I got layed off so it sat. Now with Ca's new laws I cant work it. I Basically put my life savings into it in an attempt to use it and now I cant.

Thanks Ca.

Well the driveshaft was the straw that broke the camels back. I originally bought the truck to put it to work. Fixed things as I could afford to. Last winter I got layed off so it sat. Now with Ca's new laws I cant work it. I Basically put my life savings into it in an attempt to use it and now I cant.

Thanks Ca.

Sounds like incentive to leave the state of California behind.

Rob

I cant right now. My parents are not well. Dad has Dementia and mom has Osteoporosis. I do all the harder work around the house.
I want to encourage you all i can to do what you can for them while you can because you dont know it now but you can be in the same shape some day and your kids will realy be helpfull to you. I wish i could have been around more for my dad. he didnt need much help but it would have made life a little more easy for him.

glenn akers