673 Engine On A Slant

steve s.

I have a 673 NA diesel in a B 613 (not original, I know ) that was installed on a slant, like you would see in a B 67 or a C model. I am preparing to overhaul this engine and maybe put it in a different truck. Is there any reason that it can't be mounted straight up ? Is it as simple as rotating it one bolt hole clockwise at the bell housing ? The oil pan and pump appear to be the same as in a B 61 I have that is mounted straight up. The engine leans to the passenger side and makes working on the injection pump or air compressor more challenging. I even had to drill a hole through the firewall to get the last push rod out before removing the back cylinder head. Does anyone have experience with this ?

Thank you and Happy New Year to All. Steve

I think you would have to change oil pan, water pump housing, and flywheel cover to install it in an upright position. On the B67 I cut up the flywheel cover was only drilled for the angled position. The water pump housing is offset to center the fan.

Paul

Edited by Paul

I think you would have to change oil pan, water pump housing, and flywheel cover to install it in an upright position. On the B67 I cut up the flywheel cover was only drilled for the angled position. The water pump housing is offset to center the fan.

Paul

Here is a slant engine water pump.

glenn akers

Good clear shot there Glenn. Isn't the pump the same as a standard B61, just the housing offset?

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Old Rob is right again. But this is what is left of a C model but i think same water pump set up. I have not seen one in 30 years and did work on them years ago. I was in a old salvage yard yesterdfay and found a lot of old mack stuff.

glenn akers

Thanks guys. That is the water pump I have Glenn, and HK I think you are right , somebody just stuck in the engine they had. But it makes maintenance so much more of a pain in the neck I wonder why they did it that way. If I do put this engine in a different truck it will be straight up . Steve