My Piece Of Junk Mack

I bought a New Vision (cxn 613) it has a 460 aset engine. It is a JUNK!!!! I have 14,000 miles on it. It has been in the shop four times. I've only owned it for 2 months. I picked the truck up in Utica, NY and bob tailed it back home to Watertown, CT. I was all proud in my new truck, 2,100 miles on it. I didn't even make it to the Mass. line on I-90 before the problems began. The cellinoids for the engine brake went out. So i was pretty disappointed already. When I went to get the truck to bring it to the local dealer to have it fixed, I noticed a leak on the ground. Sure enough, oil from power steering pump all over the ground. (was just a fitting). A few weeks later, in a terential rain storm, wiper linkage broke, no wipers. I went back to local dealer and had that fixed. Truck wouldn't start when I went to get truck. I had to crank it over while the service manager had to hand prime it.

At this point I have had enough!!!!! I went back to the dealer that i bought from. I had a laundry list of little things wrong with it. The service manager there assured me that the truck was good to go. The next load I pulled was last week. I loaded in CT headed for AZ. Why not???? I have a $130,000 brand new truck. I should be able to run anywhere right? I took my 30,000 pound load across I-44 to I-40 and so on. I am getting an average of 3.6 MPG. Cant go more than about 67 MPH (on flat ground). It took me an extra half a day to get here. I an now it a motel while the truck is in the shop AGAIN!!! I was climbing the rolling hills at 45 MPH while trucks are blowing me over the white line. The speed limit is 75 for all vehicles. That is downright dangerous. This truck is such a junk I want Mack to take it back. The worst part is that my 98 CH is sitting at home with nothing wrong with it. This new truck is going to put me out of business!!!!!!!!!

Mack's stance is that they are fulfilling their obligation by fixing it under warranty. But when does it end? When I go broke with all the down time? or when my reputation is mud for not being able to deliver a load on time due to break downs?

Thanks for letting me vent while I'm spending Money in this motel room. See ya in a Mack shop near you!

Ed

I bought a New Vision (cxn 613) it has a 460 aset engine. It is a JUNK!!!! I have 14,000 miles on it. It has been in the shop four times. I've only owned it for 2 months. I picked the truck up in Utica, NY and bob tailed it back home to Watertown, CT. I was all proud in my new truck, 2,100 miles on it. I didn't even make it to the Mass. line on I-90 before the problems began. The cellinoids for the engine brake went out. So i was pretty disappointed already. When I went to get the truck to bring it to the local dealer to have it fixed, I noticed a leak on the ground. Sure enough, oil from power steering pump all over the ground. (was just a fitting). A few weeks later, in a terential rain storm, wiper linkage broke, no wipers. I went back to local dealer and had that fixed. Truck wouldn't start when I went to get truck. I had to crank it over while the service manager had to hand prime it.

At this point I have had enough!!!!! I went back to the dealer that i bought from. I had a laundry list of little things wrong with it. The service manager there assured me that the truck was good to go. The next load I pulled was last week. I loaded in CT headed for AZ. Why not???? I have a $130,000 brand new truck. I should be able to run anywhere right? I took my 30,000 pound load across I-44 to I-40 and so on. I am getting an average of 3.6 MPG. Cant go more than about 67 MPH (on flat ground). It took me an extra half a day to get here. I an now it a motel while the truck is in the shop AGAIN!!! I was climbing the rolling hills at 45 MPH while trucks are blowing me over the white line. The speed limit is 75 for all vehicles. That is downright dangerous. This truck is such a junk I want Mack to take it back. The worst part is that my 98 CH is sitting at home with nothing wrong with it. This new truck is going to put me out of business!!!!!!!!!

Mack's stance is that they are fulfilling their obligation by fixing it under warranty. But when does it end? When I go broke with all the down time? or when my reputation is mud for not being able to deliver a load on time due to break downs?

Thanks for letting me vent while I'm spending Money in this motel room. See ya in a Mack shop near you!

Ed

Ed, this happened to me to. Ran a new CH with a 400 back in "93" and damn thing would shut down when ever it felt like it. Coming off the top of Tilcons plant in North Haven, had a euclid behind me when it shut down and came close to getting pushed off the mountian. The truck went by by and it only had 75,000 miles on it. Mack scratched their heads on that one. Had the east coast manager ride with me too. I'm Mack and always will be, some body must have had a bad week when yours was being built. The best of luck with it,Tim

Guest MACKAMOKE

My dad had run oil and gas his whole life and in the 70's and 80's ran a trucking co of about 100 trailers and 60-70 rigs and always said a Mack was the best damn round town, short haul, vocational truck there was.

But always said they were weak over the road. He prefered Freightliners, and if you had the cash, anything made by Paccar.

But I grew up on the right hand side of Macks, Auto's and Brock's

Good luck

Mike

Do lemon laws apply to trucks?

Not sure about other states. But I know they do not apply to any commercial vehicle here in Ohio. After 40 years of buying Ford trucks, my family's construction business wound up with 2 brand new lemons in '97. After that, they've only bought Chevy's......makes me cringe just to type that word! :rolleyes:

Sorry to here about your Vision. I've heard similar stories from drivers. Nothing worse then a brand new truck in the shop, and not on the road making you money. Been there, done that!

Best of luck to you.

Chris

Findlay, Ohio USA

sorry to hear of the problem. It seams All the major truck companys are having problems with engines now that the EPA has a hard on for emissions. It doesent make it better when you cant fix the problem yourself because of the electronics involved. If your truck only has 20,000 on her and its caused you this many problems I would be pissed off too. however I have seen lemons in all makes and models. a friend just bought 2 new 06 petes with cat motors. both trucks have been in the shop a few times also. Bad rear main seal on one engine and faulty wireing on the other. simple fixes but lots of down time

hope you get things sorted out.

Trent

motortrans,

I would swear that you copied my attitude when I bought my 1997 Wild Breed CH613 E7 454. That truck was JINXED! :( I could tell you about an 2 hours worth of horror stories that my wife and I had with that truck!! To put in a short text, engine blew up twice under warranty,2 weeks down every time, MAJOR overheating problems, bad engine vibrations that would mack the belts hit the fan and throw them off. NASTY fights with Mack district service managers,dealers and salesman. That truck almost put me out of business. The best thing that happened was when it went out of warranty and I fixed it myself. Mack warranty is a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: I sold the truck after I fixed it, lost big money on it, and REFUSED to ever buy another Mack with wet liners. I went back to 300's and 237's. I also finally went back to my old favorite...NTC Big Cam 3 Cummins. :thumb:

I really understand your frustration and aggravation. I definitely feel sorry for you.

I wish you the best of luck!

motortrans,

If you are interested in the details... e-mail me and I will tell you in detail what all happened.

THAT REMINDS ME OF A GUY I KNOW THAT HAD A 95 OR96 CL THAT HAD ALOT OF PROBLEMS WITH HIS 454.HE SAID IT WAS JUNK. WE BOUGHT A NEW CL IN 97 WITH A 454 AND HAVE NOTHING BUT GOOD LUCK WITH IT.IT HAS 420,000 MILES AND 22,000 HRS AND WE HAVE ONLY HAD TO CHANGE THE TURBO ONCE AND THE AIR COMPRESSOR ONCE. THATS IT. WE ALSO HAD A 93 SUPERLINER WITH A 400 THAT WE SOLD LAST YEAR. IT HAD 545,OOO MILES AND 31,000 HOURS THE ONLY THING WE DID TO THAT WAS THE TURBO AND A COUPLE OF CLUTCH FANS. WE LIVE IN VERMONT AND THE GUY THAT BOUGHT IT LIVED IN MISSOURI. HE DROVE IT ALL THE WAY HOMEWITH NO PROBLEMS. BOTH OF THESE TRUCKS ARE LOG TRUCKS THAT PULL 100,000 PLUS ALL THE TIME. SO IGUESS THAT GOES TO SHOW YOU SOME TIMES YOU GET A GOOD TRUCK SOME TIMES YOU DONT. HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK WITH YOUR VISION.

Ed

Ed

Hi am not a Mack salesman or anything like that,just a owner/operator for the last 25 years,I have a hard time beliving you paid a 130,000 for a Vision,I bought one new in 2000 and gave 95,000 for it,I know prices have gone up,4 months ago I bought a 2006 Peterbilt,550 cat,18 spd for 114,500,and I am getting ready to to take delivery of a New Mack Rawhide,loaded truck,with full rear fenders,5 years 500,000 mile warrenty and gave 116,500 with FET.Mybe your mad cause you paid way to much for it.Anyway I called Savage trucking out of Slat Lake,they always ran Macks,but in 2004 they seem to have gone to IH with Cummins,This year they are back with Mack,so I called them today and taked to the head shop guy they had problems with the Cummins,but they have been running some E-7 460 2005 models,and have about 100,000 to 200,000 mile on them with very little problems.I also called John Cheesman trucking all they run is mack the top shop guy told me they had problem with the 2004 models.He told me they are running late 2005 and some 2006 model macks,with real good luck.Savage and Cheesman told me at abot 100,000 miles they seem to be breaking the turbo bolts,and Cheesman had a EGR COOLER plug up.They both told me that they are getting 5.5 to 6.35 mpg,and they keep a close eye on that.

I agree with Mack Man. It's probably possible to option a Vision up to $130,000, but you can get a decent one for under $100,000. 67 mph is plenty fast- anything above 65 and the fuel mileage goes to heck and tires start throwing treads in the summer. 3.6 mpg is way low though, and combined with having to prime the fuel system suggests a fuel leak... take a look under your truck!

Stick with it and get the bugs worked out- you've just bought the best truck on the road!

Hi am not a Mack salesman or anything like that,just a owner/operator for the last 25 years,I have a hard time beliving you paid a 130,000 for a Vision,I bought one new in 2000 and gave 95,000 for it,I know prices have gone up,4 months ago I bought a 2006 Peterbilt,550 cat,18 spd for 114,500,and I am getting ready to to take delivery of a New Mack Rawhide,loaded truck,with full rear fenders,5 years 500,000 mile warrenty and gave 116,500 with FET.Mybe your mad cause you paid way to much for it.Anyway I called Savage trucking out of Slat Lake,they always ran Macks,but in 2004 they seem to have gone to IH with Cummins,This year they are back with Mack,so I called them today and taked to the head shop guy they had problems with the Cummins,but they have been running some E-7 460 2005 models,and have about 100,000 to 200,000 mile on them with very little problems.I also called John Cheesman trucking all they run is mack the top shop guy told me they had problem with the 2004 models.He told me they are running late 2005 and some 2006 model macks,with real good luck.Savage and Cheesman told me at abot 100,000 miles they seem to be breaking the turbo bolts,and Cheesman had a EGR COOLER plug up.They both told me that they are getting 5.5 to 6.35 mpg,and they keep a close eye on that.

The price of the truck (133,000.00) includes the finance charges. I drove for Cheeseman for a few months in 2003. I drove unit #364 and never had a problem with it. it had 250,000 miles on it and it was a decent running truck.

I agree with Mack Man. It's probably possible to option a Vision up to $130,000, but you can get a decent one for under $100,000. 67 mph is plenty fast- anything above 65 and the fuel mileage goes to heck and tires start throwing treads in the summer. 3.6 mpg is way low though, and combined with having to prime the fuel system suggests a fuel leak... take a look under your truck!

Stick with it and get the bugs worked out- you've just bought the best truck on the road!

Thanks for the words of encouragement!!! The truck is starting to grow on me. So far, I haven't seen any other Visions with a 270" wheelbase like mine.

The price of the truck (133,000.00) includes the finance charges. I drove for Cheeseman for a few months in 2003. I drove unit #364 and never had a problem with it. it had 250,000 miles on it and it was a decent running truck.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!!! The truck is starting to grow on me. So far, I haven't seen any other Visions with a 270" wheelbase like mine.

That is a long wheelbase, would like to see some photos of it, i bet it is a good looking truck. Ron