Valve adjustment help

Go to solution Solved by JoeH,

I have 03 Mack mr688s 350hp

i had to replace #1 injector the push rods on exhaust side has springs on top of them. I have never seen this before. So I adjusted intake and exhaust as normal. But I have a rattle now so they must be to loose. Is there a certain way to adjust them with those springs? Any help would be appreciated 

24 minutes ago, mcratchet1 said:

I have 03 Mack mr688s 350hp

i had to replace #1 injector the push rods on exhaust side has springs on top of them. I have never seen this before. So I adjusted intake and exhaust as normal. But I have a rattle now so they must be to loose. Is there a certain way to adjust them with those springs? Any help would be appreciated 

there is a little cover on the the bottom of the fly wheel housing remove it turn the engine till you see valve set 1/6 centered in the hole if the number one valve is tight its likley on the wrong stoke make one more rev of the crank both valves should be loose proceed set to 16 intake 24 exhaust!

• Like 1

Ok so push down on the springs and set the exhaust . Just push springs down by hand?

I made sure I was on right one stared on 1&6 

6 was tight 1 both were loose and push tubes were close to being even

ok , now someone help the ole man ;;;; Im guessing that picture is of a Jacobs not dynatard  ; and what's the purpose of the spring on push tube???  I say it keeps tension on tube to rocker ???. how's the push rod made ::: screw together with replaceable parts ??  at least it's a positive to see mechanical changes NOT electronic. 

Ok Mech,  the spring loaded pushrod is for the EGR bump on the back cut of the exhaust lobe. It is supposed to suppress valve slap.  Now,,,, mcratchet....  A for sure way to know you are up on #1 is when you set the flywheel to 1&6, the #2 exh. Rocker is 'rocked'...  Very important on Mack engines, especially after 2001!!!

• Thanks 1

Yes exhaust valve up on #2. I got it, I  just did not snug down enough on exhaust valve to put enough pressure down on spring. Once I did that she’s running great. Thanks for all the quick help! I really appreciate it!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

https://macktrucks.vg-emedia.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=6147

Go to that link and click "View File" in the item description.  It'll download the book for that engine. Page 401 starts the Valve Adjustment Procedure. Follow it to a T.

Screenshot_20240524-174127.png

Screenshot_20240524-174152.png

Screenshot_20240524-174233.png

I always enjoy interesting reading material. will print/ and have something to read in am with coffee, much better then having to talk to w---! you know

• Haha 1

Mech, it 'IS' a Jacobs,  series 690..  It is a new breed after the E-7 680 series..  I cant compare it to Macks Dynatards..   just not that smart...  :) 

Mech,,, you dont know how bad I wish we were neighbors.  I would love to Learn from You and l would Love to teach you what I know..  With Great Respect...  Jojo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2024 at 8:33 PM, Joey Mack said:

Mech, it 'IS' a Jacobs,  series 690..  It is a new breed after the E-7 680 series..  I cant compare it to Macks Dynatards..   just not that smart...  :) 

only thing comparable to the dynatard  is a pack of fireworks bought at local dollar store. both make a little pop pop  po noise and not much more. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/24/2024 at 8:35 PM, Joey Mack said:

Mech,,, you dont know how bad I wish we were neighbors.  I would love to Learn from You and l would Love to teach you what I know..  With Great Respect...  Jojo

mutual thoughts on this end. might not be to far off in future. can't take much more  of CT. would also be first time in 60 + yrs  I would look forward in going to school.

• Like 1