How to

I have a 1998 CH Mack and the shepard steering box is leaking badly where the pitman arm is fiited to the output shaft of the box

how to I go about replacing the seal etc on the output shaft

thinking may be driver used the wrong oil

any links to 'how to' Please

thanks in advance

Shepards typically use 15W40,.. the sector shaft seal is inside the box, if you take it apart, look at the shaft for a groove at the seal area.  Hope fully its just a worn seal.  

I second FJH, the older steering oil pumps using engine oil is an absolutely awesome design. Having to make sure you use the correct ATF or equivalent on the MP engines is an absolute pain. That also ends up being a pain on cars as well! I've honestly been impressed with the electric power steering my 2016 Ram has, wonder how well the same idea will hold up on semi trucks. 

Posted (edited)

Thanx guys for your replys ...... great info

I was hoping thar the seal could be replaced from the out side

I don't feel confident in strippin the Sheppard down

model Sheppard M110 P1

cya

Edited by Swishy

On 5/6/2024 at 10:09 AM, The Heinz said:

I second FJH, the older steering oil pumps using engine oil is an absolutely awesome design. Having to make sure you use the correct ATF or equivalent on the MP engines is an absolute pain. That also ends up being a pain on cars as well! I've honestly been impressed with the electric power steering my 2016 Ram has, wonder how well the same idea will hold up on semi trucks. 

Minor point to make on this: as the power steering pump on these is mounted directly to the engine, either bolted to the timing cover or bolted onto the back of the air compressor, the reason for the 15w40 is incase the power steering pump seal fails it doesn't blow ATF into your engine.  As a dealer employee I bet you could imagine the warranty headache this would cause if the engine seals failed because ATF got in there from a bum vendor add-on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

Minor point to make on this: as the power steering pump on these is mounted directly to the engine, either bolted to the timing cover or bolted onto the back of the air compressor, the reason for the 15w40 is incase the power steering pump seal fails it doesn't blow ATF into your engine.  As a dealer employee I bet you could imagine the warranty headache this would cause if the engine seals failed because ATF got in there from a bum vendor add-on.

The ps pump is engine mounted on mp engines as well I believe are they using engine oil too? 

just sayin!

3 hours ago, fjh said:

The ps pump is engine mounted on mp engines as well I believe are they using engine oil too? 

just sayin!

The power steering fluid in MP engines is ATF, we use Mobil D/M in most if not all our locations. The pump (called the tandem pump because it is also the fuel pump) is attached to the geartrain. I have never seen an ATF/oil intrusion caused by the tandem pump personally. 

11 hours ago, The Heinz said:

The power steering fluid in MP engines is ATF, we use Mobil D/M in most if not all our locations. The pump (called the tandem pump because it is also the fuel pump) is attached to the geartrain. I have never seen an ATF/oil intrusion caused by the tandem pump personally. 

Correct Heinz Just making a point! It does make sense what JoeH  stated there how ever they used ATF for years with a direct couple pump with out issue! I think the purpose was monetary at the time!  quick and easy and cheaper!

Just sayin!

• Like 1