I fond myself lacking the clutch linkage for the stock triplex when I switched out the maxi torque trans. I was able to locate two of the three pieces but was still in need of the lever that goes on the trans cross shaft that has the roller on it. I found one and had the guy send it to me and when I received it, it looked awfully short but it apparently came from a B-61 so I figured "OK". Well, today I got around to powder coating the lever and installing the linkage and, you, it's too short by about an inch. The casting # is "4RU2158" what is left of the casting number on the one that I had (and modified to use with the maxi torque) is "4RU2_____" so I "assumed" that it was the same but apparently not. Does anyone know if there was more than one clutch linkage configuration or why this piece is not working or have a proper one that they would part with?

On 1/12/2024 at 9:25 AM, Licensed to kill said:

Thanks Larry. 

Sorry, I forgot to look this weekend.  Bought the time I was heading to bed last night did I realize I forgot something!  I will get home tonight and get some pictures.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Well, I got under there, sorta.  It was my arm, a light, or the tape measure.....but not all three....LOL.

I got about 3 1/2" from center of roller to center of throw out shaft.

IMG_20240115_202313739_HDR.jpg

Larry

Thank you Larry. Much appreciated. That is what mine is also. My problem must be with the other lever on the clutch pedal shaft. This has me REALLY baffled since al the parts I have came of a B-61 and I am using the same transmission and same clutch pedal arrangement so everything g SHOULD work....but it doesn't. In. your picture, it looks lie the lever on the clutch shaft is rather short, MUCH shorter than the one I took out of one of my trucks. I will put it all back together and post a pic. Hopefully someone will recognize what the problem is. 

I can get better light so I can get a better picture.  Soon as I put my arm up with my phone, it blocked the light and you can't see anything.  I tried to just get a quick picture but there is no room to get in there AND see what it is.

• Like 1

Larry

On 1/17/2024 at 5:08 PM, Licensed to kill said:

Thank you Larry. Much appreciated. That is what mine is also. My problem must be with the other lever on the clutch pedal shaft. This has me REALLY baffled since al the parts I have came of a B-61 and I am using the same transmission and same clutch pedal arrangement so everything g SHOULD work....but it doesn't. In. your picture, it looks lie the lever on the clutch shaft is rather short, MUCH shorter than the one I took out of one of my trucks. I will put it all back together and post a pic. Hopefully someone will recognize what the problem is. 

Did you also use the original rear engine mounts for all the assembly?

I honestly don't remember all the plated ways you was figuring how to set up the truck the best but IF the chassis is the same, the engine is the same and the tranny is the same... the lever must fit. I can't imagine you put it upside down or someone came into your garage, stole the original one and put something else in place of it.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

34 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

Did you also use the original rear engine mounts for all the assembly?

I honestly don't remember all the plated ways you was figuring how to set up the truck the best but IF the chassis is the same, the engine is the same and the tranny is the same... the lever must fit. I can't imagine you put it upside down or someone came into your garage, stole the original one and put something else in place of it.

That is a valid question. I am using the original trans that came in the truck (triplex) and the original mounts. The motor is different but the same (E-6 in place of the 673). The lever for the clutch pedal actually came out of another B-61 and the lever that I was initially questioning came from another B-61 from a guy that has several and is restoring one of his own. Based on the casting number, comparing it to what is left of the casting number on the one that came with mu truck, and now with the measurement Larry gave me, I am confident that it is correct so that leaves the lever on the pedal shaft. I took a pic but, of course my computer won't let me download pics from my phone these days. Basically, the "pad" that the ruler on the trans lever engages is fully above the roller so the pedal lever appears to be too long by +-3". 

3" is a large missmatch. Seems like you should double check every component installed onto the chassis. Hope you have the cab off at the moment. 

Here is the pic. 3” too long might have been overly pessimistic , 2” more reasonable but still, the entire pad that the roller is supposed to engage is above the roller. Thankfully, yes, the cab is off. 

IMG_2135.jpeg

Edited by Licensed to kill

I will try to get under mine again and get a better look at arm on clutch pedal side.  I know there is a lot of monkey motion for these for what seems to be a simple thing.

• Like 1

Larry

Is the roller supposed to be pushed down? Mine (in 1945 NR) goes forward being kicked by the pad from the back side.

21 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

Is the roller supposed to be pushed down? Mine (in 1945 NR) goes forward being kicked by the pad from the back side.

I am not sure I follow but both levers are pretty much vertical and the one on the pedal shaft is keyed so it can only be installed in one position. 

That's how the parts on my truck are installed (they're not in place yet though).

Ok, an idea. Didn't you remove the shaft the pedal fits onto? As I remember two key slots in the shaft are not in line. So if you put it left side right the key slots went off the correct place. 

20 hours ago, Vladislav said:

That's how the parts on my truck are installed (they're not in place yet though).

Ok, an idea. Didn't you remove the shaft the pedal fits onto? As I remember two key slots in the shaft are not in line. So if you put it left side right the key slots went off the correct place. 

Yes I did remove the pedal from the shaft to powder coat it. However, the only way that reorienting the pedal lever to make it contact the clutch lever would be to rotate everything forward so the levers are nearly horizontal (or at least on a 45) and the clutch leer would hit the bell housing. I am pretty sure that they are su[posed to be vertical when at rest. I wonder if there was a change up to these levers later in production to shorter ones?. My trucks are all pre-1960 and I have no idea what year the clutch lever is. If there was a change, the first 4 digits of the casting numbers were the same and I don't know how likely that would be. 

3 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

Yes I did remove the pedal from the shaft to powder coat it. However, the only way that reorienting the pedal lever to make it contact the clutch lever would be to rotate everything forward so the levers are nearly horizontal (or at least on a 45) and the clutch leer would hit the bell housing. I am pretty sure that they are su[posed to be vertical when at rest. I wonder if there was a change up to these levers later in production to shorter ones?. My trucks are all pre-1960 and I have no idea what year the clutch lever is. If there was a change, the first 4 digits of the casting numbers were the same and I don't know how likely that would be. 

Ok, got it. I could measure my lever but saw not much sence in that since it's off a L-model (NR-model) so must not be similar to a B.