Gu713 egr cooler

Evening all, 

I have a I’m working on a 2007 gu713 engine is using coolant and has exhaust gas present in the coolant I’m looking to see if anyone has a way to determine between a failed egr cooler or head gasket without removing the egr. I loosened the clamp on the boot off the egr and stuck a screwdriver in to brake the seal to see if I had any sign of coolant in the exhaust side which I didn’t just looking to save the time and effort if there’s a way to test with it still on the truck thanks in advance! 
Chris 

We used to drain the coolant on them and put a rubber glove over the coolant pipe at the EGR cooler, and start the engine. If the glove inflates, then you have a gas leak..

• Like 1

If an MP8 then you can easily pull the elbow and hose off the EGR cooler outlet ( towards the front of the truck) and look directly into the EGR cooler and look fir dried and crusty antifreeze. MP7’s are harder to do because you can’t get the EGR cooler outlet pipe out of the way with out pulling the fan clutch to look inside the EGR cooler. There is a radiator pressure cap on the left side ( not the right side)  of the coolant expansion tank on top off the radiator . It has a small overflow drain hose on it . If the cap is blue it needs the new black cap on it . If it has the black cap , get a 1 liter clean Sprite bottle and put the end of the hose in the bottle ans zip tie it up and run the truck for a day  . See if it’s actually blowing the coolant out or burning it, 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Sorry for the slow response I’ll be getting back to this truck in the next day or so I’ve got another Mack that ran away and is now missing I’ll probably start a thread on that one later I’ll get you guys all the engine info on this one tonight I believe it’s an mp7 and yes defiantly a gu I was only able to break the seal on the the outlet side of the egr cooler the pipe that crosses over the front of the engine won’t allow me to get it off enough to look inside