MACK - UAW on strike

On 10/10/2023 at 7:30 AM, mowerman said:

God love them for sticking with it… bob

No Bob, as I see it "God Help them".  the Mack workers IMO are drinking Fain's Kool-Aid.  He could give a shit about Mack, it is all about the the dues payers at the "big three".  The Mack UAW leadership negotiated a contract in good faith and they reached an agreement  subject to ratification.  You can bet that Fain had to sign off on that deal.  Then when the member ship votes it down by a big margin-my bet too many see the crazy numbers that are coming out of the big three negotiations, they want the same thing.....and in a situation like this where the membership votes a contract down, the smart union leadership would say.."we did our best but will go back to the table again.  Fain throws out the tough guy bullshit-like he didn't have any say in the initial settlement deal.  Like I said, he could care less about Mack and what happens to it.

IMO they are forgetting what has typically happened in the truck business.  Look at history...Mack buys Brockway..Brockway goes on strike..Mack solves that problem.  White buys the old Sterling...then says "hey, Sterling competes with our Autocar flag!-bang Sterling is gone.  White owns the combined Diamond T and Reo then shuts that down.  White is going broke and WhiteGMC is formed- and that is gone.   Consolidation is the name of the game.  

I'm sure there are top level guys in Sweden now who are saying, why do we need this bullshit?

Hope it doesn't happen but the old Mack customers who built their business with Mack trucks are old...and guess what... "Built like a Mack" no longer counts.

Does anyone know where Volvo trucks sold in North America are assembled? I have no clue but I  would assume someplace here since the ones in Europe and elsewhere globally are so different than the ones sold here. I wonder if any of Volvo's manufacturing here is unionized. I know they make some construction equipment here in the states.....

1 hour ago, 67RModel said:

Does anyone know where Volvo trucks sold in North America are assembled? I have no clue but I  would assume someplace here since the ones in Europe and elsewhere globally are so different than the ones sold here. I wonder if any of Volvo's manufacturing here is unionized. I know they make some construction equipment here in the states.....

Volvo has a huge plant, New River Valley in Va. I think it is also a UAW represented plant but different contract dates.  All engines..Mack or Volvo are basically the same now and come for the former Mack plant in Maryland. 

I would imagine, if Volvo merged Mack into Volvo the biggest savings probably would be administrative and engineering  of new models..  Now clue if they could absorb the Mack production at New River.

Again hope it never happens but.........