EXCITED! RD888 RESTORATION PROJECT UNDERWAY

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures great. I wouldn't switch to a 2 stick, those are geared for the Maxidyne engines, which would be either an EM6 or an EM7. The maxidynes have an 800+ rpm power and, in which they make 90%+ torque from 1000-1200 all the way up to the governor. An E7-400 is nice but it doesn't have the broad powerband. Also the 2 sticks aren't designed for THAT much torque. Plus you'd be looking at having to replace the driveshaft due to different length transmission. And cutting holes in your floor for the shifters.

11 hours ago, JoeH said:

Pictures great. I wouldn't switch to a 2 stick, those are geared for the Maxidyne engines, which would be either an EM6 or an EM7. The maxidynes have an 800+ rpm power and, in which they make 90%+ torque from 1000-1200 all the way up to the governor. An E7-400 is nice but it doesn't have the broad powerband. Also the 2 sticks aren't designed for THAT much torque. Plus you'd be looking at having to replace the driveshaft due to different length transmission. And cutting holes in your floor for the shifters.

Have to agree about the torque band comment, but that six speed can handle way more torque than that 400 can put out, how about all them high horse V8 engines with the 12 speed, same triple countershaft design.   Terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 4:43 AM, Louis M Badalamenti said:

Hi, I own a 1991 RD888 Tandem Axel Dump Truck with a Mack E7 400hp engine that I bought from Coal Country in Kentucky.

I had it hauled on a lowboy to my yard in New Orleans, Louisiana.

When I bought it, it was working but its a 32 year old truck and somewhat rundown. It runs, dumps, etc. My plan is to remove the 48 CY dump body and replace it with a new elliptical 20CY steel dump body for use on my own jobsites. Well that's what I keep telling myself but I'm  also doing this because I like the truck as it is very unique in our area of the country. Until I bought this one, I had never seen one in person other than in photos.

Here are some of my questions/concerns:

1.) Does anyone know where I can get replacement steel fenders and maybe other body parts? Mine have some rust and could be fixed but would be better replaced.

2.) The truck has the factory equipped 8LL transmission. I am contemplating changing it to a 2-stick 6 speed. There isn't anything wrong with the 8LL but I like the old 6 speeds and the ones I used to own were bullet-proof. Would anyone lie to share their opinion on changing the 8LL to the 6 speed?

Thanks,

Louis B.

48 CY dump body; darn that's massive.one of my part-time/customers =job bought a DM811SX triaxle from down southern way . had huge body compared to east coast standards. 673 turbo with quad. standard steer tires no floatation's.  lime green with white top. sharp truck and fun to drive .  don't forget the all important pictures  of your RD888