Basic air system checks.

Gr8 info Geoff

our older trucks have drain taps fitted to bottom of air tanks

once a week we let the tanks drain over night and note any oil or sludge on the ground next day

With the compressor govonor cut out @ max 120

the commpressor is free wheeling and  the air is sukd through the engine air supply

if the engine air cleaner a little clogged the engine can suck oil up past the compressor piston rings

and enter the wet (#1) air tank and gradully move thru the air system

we also notice some trailers have the main air supply line 1/2"

to charge trailer air system U need to hold the buttin in @ the cab control

where by a 3/8" supply line the button dose not need to held in as the supply of air is a little less demand from the truck

ifn U get my drift

LOL

cya

• Like 1

I have never had or driven a truck with a air dryer

I did mention it on here once and all new trucks in Australia have air dryer fitted as standard, which to my way of thinking is a good thing

Having said that I now have asked about draining air systems as Swishman suggested and I was surprised at the amount of drivers that never ever drain their air system, didn't even know they could

Draining the air tanks is something I have always done, dunno who taught me to now but from before I ever drove a truck I new to drain air tanks, gramdfather or my father no doubt taught me

I found when in the more tropical parts of this wide brown land, during the wet season draining the air system is more than a daily occurrence as I see bubbling water at the breakaways (glad hand type connections) when it's really muggy and uncomfortable the air system on a truck feels muggy and uncomfortable as well and requires more attention 

The amount of crap that comes out of the air tanks, even on the trailer in these conditions is quite stunning, I guess it is in the air and condenses further back thru system when it stops travelling 

Some really good points there Geoff and I need to lift my game as I never really check most of that unless I notice a issue

Thank you

Paul

• Like 1

The British and Austrian buses we got didn't have driers and use the discharge line unloader, so will not work with many (almost all) North American driers. With you guys getting so many Pommy and Europiean  stuff, that may play into why driers are not as common for you.

The AD-4's I put on my stuff worked real well, Nothing out the wet tank, nothing out the trailer tanks. If I saw even a little moisture in the wet tank, I knew something was up. I had two trucks with AD-9's and they did ok, but when I saw moisture I knew there was a problem. Problem turned out to be the threads holding the element in the drier.  That is when the AD-9's got swapped for AD-4's. I could pick-up core AD-4's for about $20, kit em and be good to go.

I never did yearly services, I just kept watch on the wet tank, and when it started to show moisture, it was time for some action. I had air start, so moved a fair bit of air though the driers over the years.  On the other hand, my trucks air systems were kept tight, so running down the road, there was little air put through the drier.

• Like 1