Maxie torque 5 speed replacement

I have a 86 R690T with Maxie torque 5 speed. I think the bearings are going bad. I really don't care for the trans very much. Due to the fact that it is geared fast for reverse and needs a gear between 4th and 5th. I drive a lot of back roads and it maxes out at 45 mph in 4th. The truck does have good highway speed. 70+ mph on the interstate. Just looking for options or should I just stay with the 5 speed and deal with it. 

Thanks' 86WhiteMack  

Welcome to The Dog Pound!

From the sound of it, you must have the overdrive version of the Maxitorque.  That's where you're getting that high interstate speed.  There are direct drive versions of that same transmission out there that would have a smaller drop between 4th and 5th gear, but you would probably be maxed-out at about 60-65 MPH (depending on rear gears),

Of course, there are a variety of options for you.  Macks can be set up with an Eaton RoadRanger or a Spicer transmission, but there is a lot of parts swapping needed to make that happen.  And, of course, Mack has built a lot of transmissions over the years that would give you more ratios, and would probably be a lot easier to swap in.

You will get LOTS of different opinions on here as to what will be your best bet.  But, there are guys on here who have done much more involved swaps than what you are looking at.  Those guys will be able to steer you in a direction that will suit your needs.  I would suggest giving as much information as you can regarding how you use the truck, so they can help you select a suitable box for your needs.  I look forward to seeing some of the responses on this one.  Should be an interesting thread.

And, again, welcome aboard.

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

This thread from a while back will help you some. You need to know your rear ratio before you do anything. If the trans is original to the truck its a T2050 I would think in 1986. By going to any Eaton trans or even a Mack 9, 10, 13 or 18 speed your top speed will suffer considerably as these all have a 0.71 OD vs your current 0.6. I don't think swapping the trans is easily accomplished. Even switching to a different Mack transmission would give you a lot of fitment / linkage issues. Its been discussed many many times on here. It depends on how important it is to you and how deep your pockets are vs just getting a truck already specd the way you want it. 

Most people love or hate the Mack 5 speeds and/or the variations of it (T2060, T2070, T2080, TRL107, etc.) Power to spare in 4th gear, dogging it in 5th gear on every small hump in the road you come to. And most guys cant stand staying in the throttle all the way down to 1200-1300 rpms before downshifting to 4th. They think they are loosing time or something I guess. My experience/observation is they are adequate for maintaining the posted speed limit or posted minimum speed, which in most cases feels too slow by todays "standards". If you are able to get into the proper mindset and understand how the transmission/engine combination are supposed to work they are fine. Quite frankly a different transmission probably isn't going to get you an additional load per shift or get you to your destination an hour sooner. But I do understand why a lot of people hate them.

2 hours ago, 67RModel said:

This thread from a while back will help you some. You need to know your rear ratio before you do anything. If the trans is original to the truck its a T2050 I would think in 1986. By going to any Eaton trans or even a Mack 9, 10, 13 or 18 speed your top speed will suffer considerably as these all have a 0.71 OD vs your current 0.6. I don't think swapping the trans is easily accomplished. Even switching to a different Mack transmission would give you a lot of fitment / linkage issues. Its been discussed many many times on here. It depends on how important it is to you and how deep your pockets are vs just getting a truck already specd the way you want it. 

Most people love or hate the Mack 5 speeds and/or the variations of it (T2060, T2070, T2080, TRL107, etc.) Power to spare in 4th gear, dogging it in 5th gear on every small hump in the road you come to. And most guys cant stand staying in the throttle all the way down to 1200-1300 rpms before downshifting to 4th. They think they are loosing time or something I guess. My experience/observation is they are adequate for maintaining the posted speed limit or posted minimum speed, which in most cases feels too slow by todays "standards". If you are able to get into the proper mindset and understand how the transmission/engine combination are supposed to work they are fine. Quite frankly a different transmission probably isn't going to get you an additional load per shift or get you to your destination an hour sooner. But I do understand why a lot of people hate them.

Personally, I never loved the 5-speed and 6-speed Maxitorques.  Had to pull them way too far down before downshifting for my tastes.  Of course, that WAS the whole idea!  The Maxidyne engines pulled hard down low.  I just never warmed up to it.  Still remember the deal on the OD models...go through the first 4 gears pretty quick, wind fourth to the rev limiter, pull it into neutral, eat a sandwich, and then put it into fifth.  It seemed like a week went by waiting for the revs to drop enough to hit fifth!

I remember one particular truck we had with the 237 Maxidyne and a 10-speed RoadRanger.  Not sure if it came that way or got swapped out (no shift plate anywhere on it).  That one I loved.  Could keep the revs up or let it pull down...your choice.  I was happier when I got back in my Quadruplex truck, though.  Felt like "home".  I guess that's the masochist in me coming out! LOL!

53 minutes ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Still remember the deal on the OD models...go through the first 4 gears pretty quick, wind fourth to the rev limiter, pull it into neutral, eat a sandwich, and then put it into fifth.  It seemed like a week went by waiting for the revs to drop enough to hit fifth!

Always told people that didn't know Macks you had to be a smoker. 1-2 reach for the pack of cigs, into 2nd. 2-3 get the cig out of the pack into 3rd. 3-4 push the lighter in (on the dash) into 4th. 4-5 pull the lighter out, light the cig, take a drag, replace the lighter, then drop it in 5th. And then you are on your way!    .....Hippy  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Personally, I never loved the 5-speed and 6-speed Maxitorques.  Had to pull them way too far down before downshifting for my tastes.  Of course, that WAS the whole idea!  The Maxidyne engines pulled hard down low.  I just never warmed up to it.  Still remember the deal on the OD models...go through the first 4 gears pretty quick, wind fourth to the rev limiter, pull it into neutral, eat a sandwich, and then put it into fifth.  It seemed like a week went by waiting for the revs to drop enough to hit fifth!

I remember one particular truck we had with the 237 Maxidyne and a 10-speed RoadRanger.  Not sure if it came that way or got swapped out (no shift plate anywhere on it).  That one I loved.  Could keep the revs up or let it pull down...your choice.  I was happier when I got back in my Quadruplex truck, though.  Felt like "home".  I guess that's the masochist in me coming out! LOL!

A good jake was a great help with those trans..

I really like my Triplex and 237.  Though I can't lug it like the motor could go, I like the splits in 4th and 5th.  I don't need to split 2nd or 3rd.

I'd like to find a 13 spd for it someday.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

26 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

I really like my Triplex and 237.  Though I can't lug it like the motor could go, I like the splits in 4th and 5th.  I don't need to split 2nd or 3rd.

I'd like to find a 13 spd for it someday.

You know mw and the 2-sticks!  Gotta love 'em!

Ya, don't hate the sticks but would like something not so plum wore out!  13 spd would be cheaper and easier to get.  Unless someone has a good triplex and i could go through it and not spend millions of dollars!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"