6 speed, PTO pump options

spent quite a bit of time checking U-tube for a demo of installing rear PTO; none to be found. tried to verify my failing memory of days gone by. going with idea changes have been made to design of transmission.

3 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

That is before my time Mech..  I started out on X107 and 1070B.. then 200 series, and then 300 series. Bearing race is in the bearing cover, so pulling the cover allows the counter shaft to drop a little.. 

I can understand now why you made the comments of the countershaft dropping. makes much sense . which is reason i said DON'T DROP OUT of conversation.  I actually confused the topic not realizing a change over in countershaft bearing set up. I didn't remember having to take side cover off. can see why now it would be done. 

All good..  you have so much knowledge that it may take a bit more time to move other knowledge out of the way in order to find the one your looking for..  :) your brain is full... 

• Thanks 1

so I saw a picture of the bearing, (in my head)  in a 107(0)  the bearings are pressed on the end of the counter shafts and the covers are flat..  I sprayed some PB Blaster in my ears and it loosened up some of the rust..   Jojo

• Like 1

yep,, no need to worry about supporting the counter shaft..  Im glad you had that book..  I dont have any 100 series books,,, (yet) 

no idea how much on a positive I feel now. most of night staring at ceiling trying to remember (yes i did). duel reasons =1- feared I misinformed someone;;2- constantly concerned of mind loss. cover closest is one I remember. by chance is there a picture of back side of transmission showing the aux idler shaft which had to be turned 180 for a pto to be installed ? 

yes, thats a high dollar tool that grabs the snap ring..   you can grind a cheapo jaw puller down, and use a lady slipper bar (with care) to start the bearing out a bit or all the way as long as you are not gouging the housing. you can put a peice of sheet metal under the bar for protection. anyway..  those Kent Moore tools are crazy high priced... 

11 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

no idea how much on a positive I feel now. most of night staring at ceiling trying to remember (yes i did). duel reasons =1- feared I misinformed someone;;2- constantly concerned of mind loss. cover closest is one I remember. by chance is there a picture of back side of transmission showing the aux idler shaft which had to be turned 180 for a pto to be installed ? 

This is all I can find about that..

C8E2B2CF-D20A-4B65-B61D-602DFDA10507.jpeg

between the pencil and pto shaft . the small shaft pushed in is the aux shaft I was referring to. center is 1/2-5/8th thread.  when rear cover is in place, aux shaft in present position. when installing a rear pto that shaft has to be turned 180 degrees  : actually sits inside the pto housing. I would assume that pto is being mounted on top right?

THANK YOU  ;Macks for photo. 

• 6 months later...
On 4/30/2023 at 4:28 PM, mechohaulic said:

another thought based on yrs back ;the rear mount P T O 's  on 6 speeds were constant run when engaged with truck moving or stationary. the side mount 6 speed  pto worked off trans being in gear on main. pto speed depended on gear main was in. spreading asphalt was challenging :: truck had to be in low for spreading which was tooo slow for dump/PTO operation. thus the rear mount pto came to be. 

Just want to clarify "proper" operation of my rear mount PTO on this 6 speed.   The Mack instructions on the dash, say to engage PTO with aux in N and main in gear.  I'm thinking this was likely for a side mount PTO and maybe it was changed to a rear mount, later in life.    As this one spins if the main trans is in N also, OR in gear.  I don't notice any difference in hyd power or speed if a high gear is engaged, nor do I visually notice the PTO shaft spinning faster or slower. 

So with a rear mount, should I still have the main box in gear and aux in N?  Or both in N?  Am I to use engine RPM to spin the PTO faster if using a higher gear doesn't seem to achieve much.

7 hours ago, Full Floater said:

Just want to clarify "proper" operation of my rear mount PTO on this 6 speed.   The Mack instructions on the dash, say to engage PTO with aux in N and main in gear.  I'm thinking this was likely for a side mount PTO and maybe it was changed to a rear mount, later in life.    As this one spins if the main trans is in N also, OR in gear.  I don't notice any difference in hyd power or speed if a high gear is engaged, nor do I visually notice the PTO shaft spinning faster or slower. 

So with a rear mount, should I still have the main box in gear and aux in N?  Or both in N?  Am I to use engine RPM to spin the PTO faster if using a higher gear doesn't seem to achieve much.

I would be in agreement the PTO was changed over to rear mount. dash instructions seem to refer to side mount. as with older PTO's the pto speed is determined by engine rpm's. truck is used by others , might want to cover or replace instructions with proper matching one.

• Like 1