1960 B-73 radiator shutters

I have removed the numerous 1/4 bolts holding the shutter frame to the aluminum radiator front. The frame and shutters are free to remove except at the bottom. I can gently pry each side at the extreme bottom out only about 3/8 inch, but the center is solid stuck and appears to held by a hidden bolt or clip. I cannot see any benefit in un-tightening the bottom tank bolts since the radiator needs no repair, only polish. Any suggestions?  Could it be steel/aluminum oxidation-rust build-up?  The top and sides are extremely clean and moving freely.  Thanks everyone.

would the be among the 10 or so all single file that bolt the bottom tank?  They are all identical and aligned, but maybe the middle 1 or 2 secure the shutter frame..........Man, i hate to mess with them and cause a coolant leak that will never be discovered until reassembly. There are no safe service places down here, especially for that valuable and tender aluminum radiator.   I have a few months, if you can find somebody has solid info   THANKS     BTW- I'm a about to order "old gold" Cummins engine paint......I remember that "color" from 20yrs ago.   What paint number, and supplier would you suggest?   I am not e-savvy, but learning......the options are numerous, but some "Cummins" old gold appear to be more gold than yellow

3/8th  out::  is the shutters frame work hanging on the lower radiator tank bolts and needs to be raised up at an angle ??  can't remember which model has the short angle bracket in the center.  Matt will have the answer I'm sure. 

If I understand you, that would be fortunate...........after removing the 10 or so small bolts (1/4,stainless,phillips), the aluminum shutter bars became free and able to move a bit, and will need to be 'guided' out because of the air cylinder arm (now disconnected). This is not part of my problem. The frame and bars seem to be unattached from each other.

The frame surrounding the shutter bars is very free on the left, right, and top, but is held firm by something at the bottom. It could have a "lip" holding it and maybe if I raise it somehow.  As free as the frame is, I doubt I will be that lucky, it is solid. I can use a screwdriver to raise each side about 3/8in....anymore would be risking damage.  Please continue    THanks   Maybe in the dark I can flashlight a better look

20 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

hopefully Matt ( or some one ) will log on having the answer. able to raise 3/8 in doesn't sound like a center brace is holding it

Sounds a lot like that angle bracket you mentioned above, doesn't it?

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I have both types of shutters and they were attached the same way three fasteners across the top and three across the bottom the small brackets are bolted to each radiator tank and have U clip spring nuts they are an odd shape maybe just caught under the center bottom bracket 

83D25FCB-864A-42A6-AE85-7DCA46CF0D5D.jpeg

EEA96DD1-9860-4F24-9A82-6A8AF8F304B9.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks everyone       I am in Franklin 1-2 month   can you can e-mail me >>greenville.sc.dave@gmail.com<<     it finally stopped raining and I intend to flashlight it in the dark tonight       I am loathe to force any damage since this thing is perfect condition, especially the shutters     your photo points toward something beside an unknown bolt   3 bolts only    the "lip" at bottom appears to be only about 1/8-1/4 inch  all the way across   that is what I thought, but it so firm stuck, I worried there was a longer lip in the center    I cannot remove slats because the cylinder arm prevents    I working alone.....it's hell growing old   retirement sucks    nobody to boss around

• Haha 1

Boy, is my face red....well, actually it is rust colored. I got a fatter screw driver and a rubber pad to protect the aluminum and --presto- it popped right out.  There are 3 small angle brackets that curve down ever so slightly and "pinch" the frame. One side is attached with 2 of the tank bolts (3 brackets), and the other side of the angle have the loosely attached 1/4 net and the other hole is un-used. The pinching parts were rusting against the rusting bracket.  You can barely see it in the 2 brackets D-Day posted..the top bracket shows the slight "J" shape ..not an expected "L".  I can sleep now  thankssss

• Like 2

7 hours ago, D-Day said:

I have both types of shutters and they were attached the same way three fasteners across the top and three across the bottom the small brackets are bolted to each radiator tank and have U clip spring nuts they are an odd shape maybe just caught under the center bottom bracket 

83D25FCB-864A-42A6-AE85-7DCA46CF0D5D.jpeg

EEA96DD1-9860-4F24-9A82-6A8AF8F304B9.jpeg

now there's the brackets i was thinking of. mental picture  only remembered one in middle .🙄

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 7:47 PM, chillywilly said:

Boy, is my face red....well, actually it is rust colored. I got a fatter screw driver and a rubber pad to protect the aluminum and --presto- it popped right out.  There are 3 small angle brackets that curve down ever so slightly and "pinch" the frame. One side is attached with 2 of the tank bolts (3 brackets), and the other side of the angle have the loosely attached 1/4 net and the other hole is un-used. The pinching parts were rusting against the rusting bracket.  You can barely see it in the 2 brackets D-Day posted..the top bracket shows the slight "J" shape ..not an expected "L".  I can sleep now  thankssss

positive side to those type of episodes is next time you will know just how to do it! 

Ha  If I live long enough for a next time  I'm lucky enough to devote all my time and shop to this, but dealing with 'outside' help is brutal......we are at sandblast / painting stage and I'm not at all hopeful. Nobody has the time    Acquiring the parts is going well enough since it needs few.....$1000 floor mats ain't gonna happen, but I think I found some about $500      I think the hood dogs are incorrect new later style, but I have 2 on a H-model or firetruck. Gonna make my own  middle floor plate since it will covered.  I am more and more impressed every day with imagining all the people who did excellent restorations with 'wore out" rusty hulks.....I doubt I have the patience to stick with such a campaign. Thanks

the most important thing is to keep the project positive/ fun/ and within budget. the proper 100 score in judging for correctness is long down the road for most. $500.ooo floor mats don't seem all important when a roll of HD rubber material can be cut to cover till time allows for mats having Mack  embossed show up.

• Like 1