Trunnion bushing replacement

Jpri

Going to be doing a bushing replacement on my truck. Never done this before. Is there anything I need to know about or need other than what’s in the photo? Also they are pretty wore, what are the chances the trunnion itself needs to be replaced?

IMG_3709.jpeg

take a look at the saddles from under the truck looking outward..  if the outer ring of the saddle is close to the inner ring on the trunnion bar,,, it is worn out.. How about you get a few pic's of the inside of the saddle, and trunnion bar in the A-Frame..

Many years ago, I used to put a magnetic dial indicator on the trunnion bar, and the pointer on the bottom of the saddle, 'Zero' the dial, then jack up on the trunnion bar  (while watching the dial the whole time) till the wheels just came off the ground. then take that reading..  at,,   .100'', we would call it ''worn''...  when it was apart, the brass bushing would be paper thin on the bottom or close to it..  and certainly the bottom of the trunnion bar was worn,,, (D-Shaped)...  jojo

• Like 1

Get to know the torque value for the size of the u-bolts you have....  then figure out how to get that torque..  1300+ lbft is not out of the realm of possibility..  jojo

A thread chaser might be handy for the end of the trunnion bar. Ours was pretty worn away, but we managed to chase some threads clean enough for the clamp to thread back on....

Remember, the bar hangs from the spring. So put cribbing under the bar before cutting u bolts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got a part number for the trunnion spindle? Pretty sure it’s the 3.5 single hole on the end but don’t have it apart. I’m seeing some of these are 4 hole at the end, 3 in, 4 in, nothing says specifically it’s for a 44k.

ADD TO WISH LIST EMAIL THIS PAGE TO A FRIEND

334-466 Shaft

Your Price: $488.97
Retail Price:$1,051.48
Your Savings:$562.51(53%)
Shaft
Part Number: 334-466

Cross Reference Numbers: 85QK249 85QK251 85QK218C MB1 06340 FTS-4705 MB1 06340 85QK249 85QK251 85QK218C FTS-4705 

SEND TO:

Those stubby trunnion bars are new to me..  I wonder how they get installed.. the 4or5 of them I had replaced, I used axle surgeon..  parts and labor was $1500.00. but this was also over 5 years ago.. they put the whole bar in with welded on clamps..  

7 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Those stubby trunnion bars are new to me..  I wonder how they get installed.. the 4or5 of them I had replaced, I used axle surgeon..  parts and labor was $1500.00. but this was also over 5 years ago.. they put the whole bar in with welded on clamps..  

There not stubs,just a picture showing the end,it’s a complete bar for 44,000 ..