Turn up E7

95RD

Update 

- Fuel is turned wide open. 
- Pryor is installed to watch EGT

However I am still having issues producing power.  The boost pressure is only getting to 12 psi max (usually stay in around 10 PSI). Having a hard time getting the truck over 60 miles an hour. Max I can get his 65 mph. Next step is to check the cooler for leaks. But I feel like I’m having turbo issues also.  Am I correct in saying that the turbo should be producing around 30 psi?

13 hours ago, 95RD said:

Update 

- Fuel is turned wide open. 
- Pryor is installed to watch EGT

However I am still having issues producing power.  The boost pressure is only getting to 12 psi max (usually stay in around 10 PSI). Having a hard time getting the truck over 60 miles an hour. Max I can get his 65 mph. Next step is to check the cooler for leaks. But I feel like I’m having turbo issues also.  Am I correct in saying that the turbo should be producing around 30 psi?

NO not necessarily! If its not putting out has little smoke then its a fueling issue!  If you got a ton of smoke and not putting out  then you have a turbo or  boost leak issue!  if you are not producing alot of smoke you have a fuel problem! when you removed top to slide the fuel plate did you happen  to suck or blow on the LDA that you removed? This is the smoke control device ? if the diaphragm has a hole in it , it won't allow the engine to have full fuel! sucking or blowing on the fitting will determine if the diaphragm is OK! If you didn't check this you may have put the cart before the horse! As far as turning it up you only need to slide the plate 10 -20 thou to achieve a big gain on HP! More Fuel The more the boost !

I checked the diaphragm and it is holding pressure (so no leak).  As far as the fuel, we have plenty of fuel going to the engine.  It is producing lots of smoke!  However the truck is still only producing only 10psi of boost. 

As far as the LDA. What pressure does it take to activate the fuel rail?  If the turbo is only producing 10 psi (max). Is the fuel rail even opening up to supply more fuel to the pump. 

Also, the truck is strong until it gets to the top gears.  Then it falls flat on its face. 

Does the fuel pump advance its timing as it gets to the top rpm rang? If so, how do you check to see if it is advancing. 

12 hours ago, 95RD said:

I checked the diaphragm and it is holding pressure (so no leak).  As far as the fuel, we have plenty of fuel going to the engine.  It is producing lots of smoke!  However the truck is still only producing only 10psi of boost. 

As far as the LDA. What pressure does it take to activate the fuel rail?  If the turbo is only producing 10 psi (max). Is the fuel rail even opening up to supply more fuel to the pump. 

Also, the truck is strong until it gets to the top gears.  Then it falls flat on its face. 

Does the fuel pump advance its timing as it gets to the top rpm rang? If so, how do you check to see if it is advancing. 

Test the system for leaks before throwing a turbo at it!the screw under the little cap two (screws ) adjusts the start point for boost build !

Take the little cap off and unlock that jam nut and turn the allen in a half turn to a turn! there is no timing advance on this engine if its mechanical At least non I have seen! It really sounds as thou your chasing a bad boost leak OR bad turbo! THAT SAID ! Check the compressor inlet hose at the manifold and the compressor ! Also I've seen AIR DRiers dump a Guys boost! If All else Fails Temporarily by pass the air drier if it has one ! join the two big hoses together at the bottom ! just something to try before you load the Turbo Ammo Into the parts Cannon !

• 6 months later...
On 4/4/2023 at 5:09 PM, Joey Mack said:

I did have the '95 book... I hope this helps you. 

KIMG1784.JPG

KIMG1781.JPG

KIMG1782.JPG

KIMG1783.JPG

Does this manual have the same information for a 1991 E7-350HP VMAC-1? If so, Can you post it? I'm pulling my hair out trying to find this information as someone pulled the data tag off my engine. Thanks in advance

54 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Well Bud,,, this is the oldest E-7 book i have..  Can you be more specific about what info you want?  Its an effort to post lots of pages..  

KIMG2326.JPG

I'm looking for the initial injection timing. A follow up question: does the 1994 manual have information only for 1994 model year engines or does it go back a a couple years?

Edited by Calvin

I think 19 is a little high for a V-Mac from my reading. 19 is fine for a fixed timing mechanical E7 , mine is an electronic E7 with the econo-vance, everything I've seen has been said between 5-11, but I have yet to find the timing for my pump, my hp rating on a V-Mac 1 

Edited by Calvin