1958 B-21 pumper

MorrisMe

Recently picked up this truck and would like to see if the pump is working, but I don't want to turn it without knowing about it or what to do to test and try it before turning it.

any suggestions would be good.  It has the 1500 pump.

Water drain is removed, and everything looks good from the outside, just not sure about the internals and where to begin.

no 010 6.jpg

pump data.jpg

without removing the pump, the only way to tell if it is seized is to try spinning it. 

if you can access the input shaft of the pump would be the best way. 

otherwise put the truck in pump at idle and gently slip the clutch to see if it spins or tries to stall the engine. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

MorrisMe, l know you found the trucks kind of in the woods. Where all the water inlets & outlets closed off and capped? Just thinking of them damn tree rodents and mice might have filled everything with acorns and pine needles. Can you run water thru the trucks pump system without using the pump to rinse it out?   .....Hippy

• Like 2

If you have any connections to a local FD ; can they have a "training session" with your truck and hook a pumper up to it and run water pressure through system. or town fire hydrant.  in spring/ warmer weather of course. . 70mack on track with the rodents. even if all openings were covered the critters find a way to get in.  pull every cover possible to see were they are/were. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

MorrisMe, l know you found the trucks kind of in the woods. Where all the water inlets & outlets closed off and capped? Just thinking of them damn tree rodents and mice might have filled everything with acorns and pine needles. Can you run water thru the trucks pump system without using the pump to rinse it out?   .....Hippy

So you are correct, and that is what has me the most concerned.  No the water inlet / outlets on the side of the truck were not covered, however they do have the Grates / screens over the main inlets.  the tank was covered, and the drains are all open, so I really do not know what is in there.  I didn't want to turn it without knowing whats inside.  Flushing water through there may be a good idea, but it may also push crap into the pump, I was hoping that there was am inspection cover that would let me get a better feel for what I am dealing with.

I do have a long bore scope that I will fish into the inlet and see what I can see.

• Like 2